SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#359004 - 01/19/13 07:05 AM KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning..........
Dnj Offline

Woke up today,.....and sitting here now enjoying some really nice Jürgen SartoriusKORG Pa3x Musikant demonstration videos.. headphone clap I love that you can flawlessly interact styles between the Korg Pa3x & Pa3x Musikant Verions seamlessly, gives you so many quality styles to choose from. Enjoy. keys

#359006 - 01/19/13 07:49 AM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very nice Donny...but I must admit my morning was even better, at least for me...I enjoyed playing my arranger for about two and a half hours...some of my favorite Billy Joel tunes; "Vienna Waits for You", "Just the Way You Are" (love the Sax solo), "Piano Man" and several others...and sipped a few cups of Red Rose tea during my little session. Sunny Saturday mornings are so nice, especially after a nice fall of fresh snow (which I don't have to shovel since my move to my new digs).

It's nice to listen to someone the arranger, but oh so much more satisfying to play the instrument yourself.

Ian

BTW, those demoed Korg styles sound excellent...still no real Irish Jig?

#359010 - 01/19/13 07:59 AM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Korg styles sound excellent...still no real Irish Jig?

After some conversion testing of Irish Gig styles from other sources which didn't exactly fill my needs,....especially Yamaha conversions to KORG as predicted, I realized that the KORG PA3x factory Tarantella style is so generically useful variation 2 @ 121 tempo is a great dual purpose Irish Jig/Tarantella etc, style. The Multipads add alot of authenticity to the overall sound also,....with some Sound changes to the STS using sound combinations from other factory CELTIC/SCOTTISH styles, Highland bagpipes, Recorder/Flutes, Ocarina, Accordions, etc, & EQ & Vol adjustments I have it sounding AMAZING. With a little time & effort all is well....
so bring on the Stout & Jamisons!!

Edited by Dnj (01/19/13 08:01 AM)

#359012 - 01/19/13 08:09 AM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

A Tarantella style? Yes, we used to use them years ago when there was no actual Irish (or otherwise) jig on the instrument (thankfully Yamaha offers several choices today).

The "Tarantella" (Italian origin, I believe, but then again, the korgie is made in Italy) does work okay, but it's surprising the little "korgies" do not have an on-board jig. I thought the Musickant had extra styles...probably no Irish Jig on that one either?

Can't be too many Irish buying korgies?

But, begorrah, a darn fine instrument, otherwise. wink

Doesn't that demo guy play any Billy Joel? keys

How about some Irish Jigs? Nah! frown

But, a Tarantella? You bet! wink

Ian

#359042 - 01/19/13 06:56 PM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Jig?...who needs a jig?..I'm married to a beautiful red headed green eyed Irish girl that's enough for me!

Billy Joel?....not my cup of tea at all. frown

Jürgen Sartorius IMO is an EXCELLENT demonstrator who really knows how to show off KORG Arranger Keyboards.. keys

But, a Tarantella? You bet! Italian Strong baby!

Edited by Dnj (01/19/13 06:59 PM)

#359049 - 01/19/13 08:58 PM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Jig?...who needs a jig?

Does anyone have a good KORG PA3x IRISH JIG style that they could share....if so email it to me please...

Thanx
onemanband52@yahoo.com

It does appear from the above quote that you needed an "IRISH JIG", and of course, korg doesn't have one, so you had to use a style actually meant for a totally different type of dance...but, hey, it's good that someone was clever enough to come up with a workaround for you.

I suspect the korgians aren't Irish, but, after all the PA3X is made in Italy. wink

Donny, you don't like Billy Joel's songs? What a shame...he has some of the very best keyboard based songs out there; the sixth-best-selling recording artist, and the fourth-best-selling solo artist in the United States. Not too shabby.

He certainly has been an inspiration to many keyboard/piano players...me being one them.

Because of his broad range of song styles, it's difficult not to like at least one of his songs, but I suppose there are exceptions to everything.

There's rarely a night went by where I (being a keyboard player) didn't get asked to play several of his tunes.

Ian

#359055 - 01/20/13 03:21 AM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Woke up today,.....and sitting here now enjoying some really nice Jürgen SartoriusKORG Pa3x Musikant demonstration videos.. headphone clap I love that you can flawlessly interact styles between the Korg Pa3x & Pa3x Musikant Verions seamlessly, gives you so many quality styles to choose from. Enjoy. keys

Donny,

This guy is the best demo man I have ever seen for Korg, he would make you want to buy one, I nearly did...

Donny,

In your humble opinion could you put all the arrangers made past and presnet in order of your preference, I think this will be interesting, BTW no guessing which will be at the top, Audya ??? rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#359123 - 01/20/13 09:38 PM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I must confess, these demos only show me how careful you must be using Mastering compressors and Maxx presets. This guy has taken what is a great live sounding and punchy arranger, and turned it into a flat, anemic, squashed, almost Yamaha type sound...

Drums buried, no snap to them, bass chewing up the mix... We all know the PA3 can sound MUCH better than this!

#359128 - 01/20/13 10:02 PM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Diki, do you recall what Mastering and MAXX settings you used? I don't much trust my ears any more. The mix above through my headphones sounds pretty good to me, but it is definitely flatter than what I use.
Thanks,
DonM

#359134 - 01/20/13 10:32 PM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't have one... I just generally turn the stuff off.

I have always felt that the Mastering stuff is more the 'final polish' and live room compensator. The trouble is, if you leave the stuff on, then do your style balancing with it on, certain things always pop out or get submerged, so you work all your styles up to compensate, then, if you find yourself needing to change the compressor settings or Maxx and EQ (in a dull room or over bright one, or you get a fuller PA, etc.), and suddenly, a lot of your styles get out of whack.

Generally, most of us don't work on our styles while running through a great flat set of studio monitors, so once again, you can find yourself doing some bad things to style balances and EQ to compensate, then you go out to the gig with a big full system, and suddenly it's all bass and kick, or shrill, whatever.

So, although my G70 doesn't have Maxx, it does have a 3 band compressor and parametric final EQ, but I work on all my stuff at home without them on. Then, on the gig, I adjust as needed. I tend to like my sound as 'live' as possible, and to that end, try to keep my drums and bass nice and hot, and if there's one thing that's the kiss of death to a good drum sound, it's too much compression! Especially when maybe it's the bass part ducking it, or whatever is loudest in the mix.

Tread lightly with those tools, if you want to keep it sounding live! For a CD, or quiet background music, sure, squeeze it down as much as you like. But if you develop your sound with them already on, it's MUCH harder to change it after the fact...

#359137 - 01/20/13 11:11 PM Re: KORG PA3x MUSIKANT Morning.......... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used the PA3x with everything off for about the first month. Then I gradually tweaked the e.q.s a little to sound good with the Bose Compacts. Only thing I really did was boost the frequency at about 80 hz. On the Compressor I tried the factory preset but it sounded pretty muffled, so turned it back off except for the stereo and volume settings. The overall volume on the Korg is pretty low.
It sounds good to me, but as I said I don't totally trust my old ears anymore.
I never tweak e.q.s at home unless I have the entire system set up.
I have found, and it is good to know that you are thinking the same way, that it is really easy to "over-eq". A little goes a long way.
With the PSRS950, I just run it flat. I tried all the factory presets and none of them suited me. I tried settings from older Yamahas I've had and they didn't work very well for me. I think the factory mix on the 950 has improved from previous models.
Thanks for the input.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online