SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#358829 - 01/16/13 10:03 AM Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Can anyone tell me... say I have mic cable that is XLR on both ends (regular modern mic cable)... versus one that is XLR on one end to 1/4 inch other end... what is the difference in sonic quality, if any?

I ask because I bought Sonic Maximizer on MF Stupid Deal. I keep hearing people brag on these things, what the heck, I will try it. (For acoustic guitar / vocal show.) It only has 1/4", no XLR inputs.

Also, anyone have a tip on how to use this Sonic Maximizer without a rack box? I can buy an SKB box (2 slots) for $80 but heck, that's a lot for something I won't even know if I am going to keep it until I try it. It'll look goofy but I guess I'll just set it on my folding table.

Lastly, I typically have not been using a mixer, it has worked fine for me to just plug my mic in Channel 1 and guitar into Channel 2 on the mixer. Would be signal chaing be the following assuming I am going to use Fishman Soloamp? Guitar/mic into the A/B inputs on Sonic Maximizer and then coming out from A/B outputs (1/4") to the Fishman?

If I can believe MF reviews, this device is a winner.

#358830 - 01/16/13 10:06 AM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

#358831 - 01/16/13 10:39 AM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill I have extra rack box you are welcome to have.
DonM

#358963 - 01/18/13 03:59 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Sorry if this is a bit wordy, and with the danger that you know most of this anyhow....

Looking at the official info as linked to above, this model has:

"Unbalanced ¼" I/Os"

and runs at line level.

Unless stated, microphones are low output devices which send a balanced signal down cables with XLR connectors at each end. The "balanced" system suppresses the introduction of electrical noise into the microphone signal. Almost all professional microphones all use this system.

Connecting such a microphone to an unbalanced line level jack input is usually a bad idea because the microphone signal is low and will need a lot of boosting to get to line level, and you also lose the noise suppreasion benefit of a balanced connection which will be exaggerated by the boosting required - that's a double whammy of bad news.

If your cable is short, and the unit you connect to is low noise with good quality internal amplification (such as this unit), you might get away with it.

It is preferable to use either a microphone transformer or a small mixer to boost your low level balanced microphone signal up to line level as required.

Hope this makes some sense!

#358967 - 01/18/13 04:53 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I've got two stereo half rack units for sale. One with 1/4" and the the other with RCA jacks. $60 including shipping.
They do amazing things to any sound source.

#358987 - 01/19/13 01:42 AM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: MacAllcock]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: MacAllcock
Sorry if this is a bit wordy, and with the danger that you know most of this anyhow....

Looking at the official info as linked to above, this model has:

"Unbalanced ¼" I/Os"

and runs at line level.

Unless stated, microphones are low output devices which send a balanced signal down cables with XLR connectors at each end. The "balanced" system suppresses the introduction of electrical noise into the microphone signal. Almost all professional microphones all use this system.

Connecting such a microphone to an unbalanced line level jack input is usually a bad idea because the microphone signal is low and will need a lot of boosting to get to line level, and you also lose the noise suppreasion benefit of a balanced connection which will be exaggerated by the boosting required - that's a double whammy of bad news.

If your cable is short, and the unit you connect to is low noise with good quality internal amplification (such as this unit), you might get away with it.

It is preferable to use either a microphone transformer or a small mixer to boost your low level balanced microphone signal up to line level as required.

Hope this makes some sense!

After I posted this, I noticed that in the diagrams in the included data sheet, none of them showed a mic or guitar going into this device. The only diagram I saw which I, personally, could achieve would be to have this chain... guitar/mic > mixer > Sonic Maximizer > Fishman Soloamp. (Other choices would be going into a pre-amp or other device instead of a mixer.) So, this complicates my setup even further, something I was hoping to avoid. By using this device, I am adding not one, but two things -- a mixer and this device.

Thus, looks like you're right. I note that there are more expensive Sonic Maximizer models which DO have XLR inputs, and I wonder if one could plug guitar/mic directly into the Sonic Maximizer.

Thanks.

#359023 - 01/19/13 11:57 AM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
XLR inputs could mean that the input will accept a microphone level signal, or it may just accept a balanced line level signal, the spec sheet should indicate which.

Guitars are a different problem in that they like a high impedance input and may well not produce a line level signal, so they might need some boost. Also if run intoa lower impedance input they can loose signal stength and maybe some brightness. Again, the spec sheet should assist.

Sounds like you need a device that can mix two inputs. If you've got a model number and can find a spec sheet then I'd be happy to have a look at that to see whether it will do the job, although it sounds like the best plan would be try before you buy!

Best of luck.

#359118 - 01/20/13 09:26 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You'll usually use one of these either as an insert to a specific mixer channel, or on the final stereo outputs off to the PA. So, unless you run an entirely balanced system, 1/4" high impedance I/O isn't really an issue.

You might also check the Maximizer's manual... those might be TRS balanced inputs too.

#359122 - 01/20/13 09:34 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I used to use an Enhancer, I ran it after the main mix and just before the power amp. I'm not sure they are worth the hassle any more. Today's gear doesn't need as much help as the old stuff did.
Bill, I think the sound you are getting on your recordings is wonderful. I wouldn't fool with it much!
DonM

#359133 - 01/20/13 10:21 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer / XLR versus 1/4 inch [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I used to find putting an enhancer on the entire mix to be fatiguing, after a while... your ear gets used to it, and you are back to square one. My favorite use for it was inside a mix... pick the one thing that needs a bit more 'sparkle', and shade it in until it JUST pops a bit more.

I remember doing a lot of mixes in the 80's using drum machines, and a bit of Maximizer on just the snare and cymbals would help crisp it up nicely. And a dull acoustic with a bit of SM was a thing of beauty.

But I never liked it for the whole mix...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online