SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#358813 - 01/16/13 02:50 AM technics KN6500.
judych Offline

Loc: Tasmania, Australia
hi all. Our KN6500 is not working properly. Mostly the piano sounds when played have a background of some percussive effect. Its like someone is playing a cymbal ??
The keyboard is played mostly in split mode.

We took it to a repair shop but they didnt fix it. They put it back to factory presets.

Is it possible to have something wrong that we can fix without new parts if its been reverted back to factory presets and still has problems?

..also, what does ''initialising'' mean??.. ive seen it mentioned here, i did think it was reverting back to factory presets.

All input gratefully received.. thanks

#358818 - 01/16/13 06:03 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Yes initialising is reverting back to factory presets. Several things to check.
Does it happen when there is no rhythm being played?
Do you have only 'part select - right one' switched on or are the cymbals coming from 'part select - right two'?
Next to those two buttons is one marked 'left' - is that switched on?
Does it happen with all the piano sound options?
Does it happen say with a clarinet or a vibraphone?
Enough to be going on with...

#358958 - 01/18/13 03:10 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Dave L. Offline

Just a quick thought from New Zealand

Make sure the MODULATYION wheel is in the OFF positian
The modulation wheel is next to the Pitch bend wheel

Both control wheels are on the bottom left of keybaard

If the Modulation wheel is partly on it has been known to upset the crystel clear Piano sounds.
I have discovered the modulation wheel partly ON when a music teacher was complaining of extra unwanted sounds when playing as a piano.
The pitch bend wheel springs back to the OFF positian BUT the Modulation wheel does not----silly design ----

All the best from accross the ditch cousins.

Dave L.

#359289 - 01/23/13 02:55 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: Dave L.]
judych Offline

hi Dave and thank you so much for this input. I will let the technicians know about that one. AT the moment we have it in a repair shop. The techs have taken it apart and found that there is a fault with the mothering board. As a result, we need to find a board somewhere that we can purchase. Because im new here im not sure how to start another thread on the subject but we do need to buy a mothering board from someone who has spare parts... the keyboard is sxKN6500 Technics .We have purchased the service manual from an online site. If we can get the mothering board, or mother board, then we know someone with all the gear that can fix it for us. Im thinking that someone here will know of a person who has these components for sale?? i sure do hope so..
I really do want to see the keyboard working again. My husband is going to be really lost without it. If i need to move this post to another thread or whatever, can someone please tell me how to do that?? regards......judy

#359290 - 01/23/13 02:58 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
judych Offline

...more on the last post.... the techs, when they opened the technics keyboard up, found that by just applying some pressure to the board that it was fixed temporarily. not sure how or why but it didnt last long. So, the problem is definately in the circuitry.

#359291 - 01/23/13 03:01 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: RMepstead]
judych Offline

hi Roger... yes, all these things have been checked out, and thank you so much for your input. Greatly appreciated. Now we are trying to find from somewhere a mothering board, as the tech thinks the board may need to be replaced. Do you know of anyone or anywhere these components would be sold? regards. judych

#359297 - 01/23/13 03:27 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Judy , sorry to read about your kn6500 problems .

you could try contacting WD Greenhill & co in Rochford Essex England

Email info@wdgreenhill.com

or webmaster@wdgreenhill.com

Good luck !!!!

Giovanni

#359314 - 01/23/13 06:43 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
RMepstead Offline

Well done Giovanni - that's who I would have suggested.
Rog

#359341 - 01/23/13 01:49 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: Giovanni]
judych Offline

thanks.... will email them today. I will let you know how we- get on. regards...judych

#359536 - 01/25/13 03:09 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Originally Posted By: judych
...more on the last post.... the techs, when they opened the technics keyboard up, found that by just applying some pressure to the board that it was fixed temporarily. not sure how or why but it didnt last long. So, the problem is definately in the circuitry.

Hi,

I just would like to share some experience I had with a kn6500 I bought for parts a few years ago. The guy told me that the keyboard behave strangely with some weird sounds coming out of it and when he sent it for repair it came back even worst than before.
So I bought it anyway for a few dollars thinking I could maybe repair it. I'm no electronic technician but I used to be a senior cash register tech and like to fool around with broken mechanic or electronic things.
I removed the back plate of the kn and turned it on using a piece of wood wich is not conducting electricity and start touchings the board inside until I realized that putting pressure at a particular place inside the problem woud dissapear.
Looking closer, it was a big chip with lots of pins and I tought that maybe there could be a bad soldering there. So I brought the keyboard to my technician telling him my discovery. And guess what?
That was the problem and he resoldered the pins and that fixed it.

I think your motherboard may only have the same kind of trouble I had. Ask your technician to dig in.

Cheers and good luck !

Serge

#359546 - 01/25/13 06:46 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: mordicus]
judych Offline

hi there Serge... its good to meet you and thank you so much for this post.

How interesting is that ??...wow. i wonder if thats our problem?? you did read in my previous post where the tech had put some pressure on it and the sound was o.k. for a while... and then reverted back to the problems again?? what you say is interesting.

It would be imperative to use something that wouldnt conduct electricity, Im sure. So it worked with your piece of wood?? im going to copy your post and send it on if you dont mind.

I had an email from the people in England and it sounds as if they want us to send the mothering board over to them. We dont want to have to go to all that trouble if we can help it.... so anything is worth trying in the meantime. Thanks for the hint... will get back to you. regards judychesterman

#359551 - 01/25/13 09:49 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That would be great if your problem can be fixed with some resoldering.

#359552 - 01/25/13 09:54 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Judy, by the way you mentioned you had bought a service manual for the KN6500. Although there are sites that sell these they don't actually own the rights to them. Panasonic does. If you could attach it to an email to me nigelsp@synthzone.com I will put it in my Technics archive so other KN6500 owners can get it for free without buying it. It sort of sucks people have to buy it from sites that don't really own it.

#360281 - 02/04/13 02:08 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Judy,
Hope you find the fix for your board soon. Do you live down south in Hobart? I am up north in Devonport , but when I bought my Kn5000 all those years ago I went through Tony at Mc Canns Music in Hobart. He was keen with the Technics brand and played them himself. So, Have you had a talk with him at all? Just trying something ...... he may or may not help.

Allan

#360342 - 02/04/13 02:13 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: tassiespirit]
judych Offline

Originally Posted By: tassiespirit
Judy,
Hope you find the fix for your board soon. Do you live down south in Hobart? I am up north in Devonport , but when I bought my Kn5000 all those years ago I went through Tony at Mc Canns Music in Hobart. He was keen with the Technics brand and played them himself. So, Have you had a talk with him at all? Just trying something ...... he may or may not help.

Allan
hi there tassiespirit. great to know another taswegian is on board. lol. yes, im further south than Hobart. We live in the Huon valley, on the eastern seaboard. I know Tony really well. lol. In fact, the KN6500 we have we did buy off him, it was his personal keyboard. lol. I know that he is retired now..
we still have the keyboard in the repair shop but no joy so far. i dont think we are going to do any good. the man in England that was given to me to get in touch with has given me some more instructions on resetting the keyboard.. when we get it back we will try it ourselves. We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we cant get it fixed. im not going to send anything to England, its too much worry sending it all that way, so we are looking further afield now for another keyboard. we have decided to buy a Yamaha Tyron 4 arranger Workstation Keyboard. Im just going through some dealers now for the best buy. Weve had a long and fulfilling 'partnership in music ' with the Technics but we are moving on now.

#360344 - 02/04/13 02:17 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
judych Offline

Originally Posted By: tassiespirit
Judy,

Allan
hi there tassiespirit. great to know another taswegian is on board. lol. yes, im further south than Hobart. We live in the Huon valley, on the eastern seaboard. I know Tony really well. lol. In fact, the KN6500 we have we did buy off him, it was his personal keyboard. lol. I know that he is retired now..
we still have the keyboard in the repair shop but no joy so far. i dont think we are going to do any good. the man in England that was given to me to get in touch with has given me some more instructions on resetting the keyboard.. when we get it back we will try it ourselves. We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we cant get it fixed. im not going to send anything to England, its too much worry sending it all that way, so we are looking further afield now for another keyboard. we have decided to buy a Yamaha Tyron 4 arranger Workstation Keyboard. Im just going through some dealers now for the best buy. Weve had a long and fulfilling 'partnership in music ' with the Technics but we are moving on now.

..more on this.... we actually have a technics 5000. it was the church keyboard that i used when i was in music ministry for about 12 years. its a great keyboard. in fact, we have it out now and are using it inbetween . i do take the 5000 out to play in other venues from time to time.
its great to talk with you.. do you still have yours?

#360396 - 02/05/13 01:21 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Nigel Offline
Admin

We live in the Huon valley, on the eastern seaboard

I bet you have an Apple computer ... lol just an inside joke lol wink Huon Valley is well known for its apples.

#360397 - 02/05/13 01:33 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: Nigel]
judych Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I bet you have an Apple computer ... lol just an inside joke lol wink Huon Valley is well known for its apples.
We live in the Huon valley, on the eastern seaboard

ROFL... SPOT ON ... hahahhaa... i have an iMAC. had her about a year now. 27 inch screen... she is beautiful. how did you guess ??....lol.

#360398 - 02/05/13 01:51 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Sorry to hear that resoldering the chip on your 6500 wasn't going to help you fix the problem, I am sure you will love the Tyros 4. When I played a Tyros 4 the keyboard action really blew me away. It feels so good.

#360399 - 02/05/13 01:59 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: Nigel]
judych Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Sorry to hear that resoldering the chip on your 6500 wasn't going to help you fix the problem, I am sure you will love the Tyros 4. When I played a Tyros 4 the keyboard action really blew me away. It feels so good.
hi Nigel... we are feeling really sad about the technics, still hoping that something will come up at the last moment. Ive pretty much made up my mind that we are going to get a Tyros 4 though. Ray loves his music so much, its a huge part of his life. He would be unhappy without a good keyboard to use. Im going to go ahead and buy one... we arent young anymore and cant take the money with us, so what the heck ?? lol. Its a big investment but well worth the joy it will bring both of us. We both play. Our children are musical as well.... it will get a good workout. Im trying to get the best deal in Australia i can possibly get right now. Having the computer has been such a help in this area. I couldnt have made my move without the computer. I think Tyros 4 arranger workstation keyboard is so exciting... it really stirs me up. HOpefully will get me playing again like i used to. I know Ray will love it.

He says that they lose too much money once you take them out of the store... but what the heck ?? so does a car!! the keyboard would bring much more joy than having a car would, thats for sure. WE wouldnt have any intention of trying to get money back so its not an option. will let you know how we go.... wish me luck.. lol. Im paying about 5500.00.

#360417 - 02/05/13 06:41 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
RMepstead Offline

Just a word of warning - the operating system of Yamaha Tyros machines is a million miles away from those of the Technics range of keyboards and is rather more complex. Were I considering a change from your 6500 I'd go for a Technics KN7000 secondhand of course or perhaps a Korg Pro PA3X which uses somewhat the same logic as the Technics machines.

#360629 - 02/07/13 03:01 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: mordicus]
judych Offline

hi there Serge.. we are still waiting to hear from the techs concerning the 6500 technics. i think they were going to look at much the same as you suggested here... that was supposed to be today. its now evening and i havent heard back from them. i doubt whether they were successful, but we live in hope. will let you know either way.
In the meantime we are in the process of buying a Tyros4.. i need to ask... does anyone know where the serial number is on these keyboards please?? i want to know the serial number before i buy anything online. thanks so much...all input is greatly appreciated .

#360631 - 02/07/13 03:04 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: RMepstead]
judych Offline

Originally Posted By: RMepstead
Just a word of warning - the operating system of Yamaha Tyros machines is a million miles away from those of the Technics range of keyboards and is rather more complex. Were I considering a change from your 6500 I'd go for a Technics KN7000 secondhand of course or perhaps a Korg Pro PA3X which uses somewhat the same logic as the Technics machines.

hi... both Ray and i have experience playing the latest models of Yamaha. I dont think we will have too much trouble . WE have a friend who is very clever with them as well so he will be a great help to us.

i know i can ask on here if i have any issues , that helps a lot.

#363179 - 03/14/13 09:43 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
judych Offline

hi Nigel... well we have the tyros4 and we are thrilled to bits with her... awesome sound... just awesome altogether . looking foward to many many happy hours of music making between us both here.

#363187 - 03/14/13 11:37 PM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Nigel Offline
Admin

That is great news Judy. You will both have a ball with it. Apart from sounding great I really love the feel of the keyboard too. It feels very precise to play on.

#363198 - 03/15/13 03:24 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
judych Offline

you're right. it does feel very precise. we are very happy with it . WE got the keyboard for 5,500.00. that was with all the speakers. How much is it in the States ??

#363266 - 03/16/13 03:54 AM Re: technics KN6500. [Re: judych]
Nigel Offline
Admin

It is listed at $5,299 in the USA so much the same as what you paid in Australia. Though if you are in a state that tax applies for the dealer you are buying it from it would be much higher than that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online