SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#358767 - 01/15/13 09:42 AM Musicians Words of Wisdom.....
Dnj Offline

“Singers and Musicians are some of the most driven people on the face of the earth. They deal with more day-to-day rejection in one year than most people do in a lifetime. Every day, they face the financial challenge of living a freelance lifestyle, the disrespect of people who think they should get real jobs, and their own fear that they'll never work again. Every day, they have to ignore the possibility that the vision they have dedicated their lives to is a pipe dream. With every note, they stretch themselves, emotionally and physically, risking criticism and judgment. With every passing year, many of them watch as the other people their age achieve the predictable milestones of normal life - the car, the family, the house, the nest egg. Why? Because musicians and singers are willing to give their entire lives to a moment - to that melody, that lyric, that chord, or that interpretation that will stir the audience's soul. Singers and Musicians are beings who have tasted life's nectar in that crystal moment when they poured out their creative spirit and touched another's heart. In that instant, they were as close to magic, God, and perfection as anyone could ever be. And in their own hearts, they know that to dedicate oneself to that moment is worth a thousand lifetimes.” - David Ackert, LA Times

#358776 - 01/15/13 11:35 AM Re: Musicians Words of Wisdom..... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
A touching, astute observation.

R.

#358777 - 01/15/13 11:42 AM Re: Musicians Words of Wisdom..... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

So true !!

#358796 - 01/15/13 05:41 PM Re: Musicians Words of Wisdom..... [Re: Dnj]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Truer words were never spoken and I wouldn't have lived my life any other way. However it never hurts to hedge your bets a little. I've always had until this year a church music director's job. It was never full time, but it helped out the musicians lifestyle a lot. I also was a real estate investor for several years. Those 2 situations helped bolster up the uncertainty of the music business. But I have to say I've never not had music jobs. Over the years they've taken many forms, but they have always been there for me. I feel truly blessed that I've been able to live this life as primarily a musician/entertainer. As far as I'm concerned, there ain't no other way!

Joe

#358812 - 01/16/13 02:46 AM Re: Musicians Words of Wisdom..... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have lived for music all of my 71 years. I, however, didn't have the big brass ones that Donny and others have. I spent many years in the property and casualty insurance field to ensure my family was financially secure, even though I played out as a weekend warrior to appease the yearning to bring my heartfelt music to others.

In retrospect, who knows what I could have accomplished had I devoted my whole career to music? As it is, ironically, I find myself improving every week, even now. The problem is that I may run out of time.

I am a pretty decent singer and player, but you can't have it both ways. I could say that I could be as good as Don, Donny, Gary,UD, etc., etc., had I had the same number of years in.

I don't look back and wish I had made other choices because the past fifteen years have been devoted exclusively to music, and I do what I love to do with no financial pressure of caring for my family.

Maybe I can play with the big dogs in the next fifteen(God willing).

Edited by Bernie9 (01/16/13 02:48 AM)

#358843 - 01/16/13 01:13 PM Re: Musicians Words of Wisdom..... [Re: Bernie9]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I have lived for music all of my 71 years.

Music was my first love
And it will be my last
Music of the furture
Music of the past

Hang on Bernie did Ketron do an Audya in 1942, Naye lad!! rotf2 what year did your voice break, you must have been 3 confused2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#358844 - 01/16/13 01:15 PM Re: Musicians Words of Wisdom..... [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
“Singers and Musicians are some of the most driven people on the face of the earth. They deal with more day-to-day rejection in one year than most people do in a lifetime. Every day, they face the financial challenge of living a freelance lifestyle, the disrespect of people who think they should get real jobs, and their own fear that they'll never work again. Every day, they have to ignore the possibility that the vision they have dedicated their lives to is a pipe dream. With every note, they stretch themselves, emotionally and physically, risking criticism and judgment. With every passing year, many of them watch as the other people their age achieve the predictable milestones of normal life - the car, the family, the house, the nest egg. Why? Because musicians and singers are willing to give their entire lives to a moment - to that melody, that lyric, that chord, or that interpretation that will stir the audience's soul. Singers and Musicians are beings who have tasted life's nectar in that crystal moment when they poured out their creative spirit and touched another's heart. In that instant, they were as close to magic, God, and perfection as anyone could ever be. And in their own hearts, they know that to dedicate oneself to that moment is worth a thousand lifetimes.” - David Ackert, LA Times

Hells Donny I am all filled up violin violin violin
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online