SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#357603 - 12/26/12 06:36 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hijack?

Is that a question?

#357606 - 12/26/12 07:08 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hijack?

HiDonny...the name is Ian, but "Hi" all the same.
In any case, I hope you have a Happy New Year.
Ian

#357645 - 12/26/12 01:56 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I make a point of saying that the G70 isn't the ultimate arranger. In fact, it isn't the BEST at anything. But for the way I use it, it is the best currently available keyboard. But I don't use it like most here do! Most of my work is with bands...

If you like, the G70 is the best live gigging keyboard that ALSO has a full arranger capability. And I've never claimed otherwise!

#357723 - 12/27/12 11:04 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's how I think of the PA3x - the ultimate live rig ... especially for a singer!

#357792 - 12/28/12 01:50 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
That's how I think of the PA3x - the ultimate live rig ... especially for a singer!

I have to agree Dave.....Korg Pa3x is awesome...... dance2

#357846 - 12/28/12 02:02 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Wait until you are on a bandstand with a full band, and the leader calls a tune you don't have a Performance already set for...!

It's an awesome ARRANGER... but from extensive time on it, I think I can say that it isn't the fastest keyboard to set up on the fly.

#357849 - 12/28/12 02:24 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
Wait until you are on a bandstand with a full band, and the leader calls a tune you don't have a Performance already set for...!

It's an awesome ARRANGER... but from extensive time on it, I think I can say that it isn't the fastest keyboard to set up on the fly.

Depends how long one has been using the Korg system wink

#357853 - 12/28/12 02:42 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Possibly, Dennis...

One of the things that the simpler voice architecture of the Roland's affords you, though, is independence of sounds from effects architecture. When you listen to the Korg's sounds, you are generally listening to the patch AND it's associated insert effects. All well and good, but when selecting sounds in a hurry to create a split and layered combi, setting up the insert effects so there isn't a drastic change in sound is quite the task.

Roland's are much more WYSIWYG. You can select any patch, and be pretty assured that no matter how you use it, as a solo tone, as part of a layer on the LWR section, whatever, you are going to get what you expect. Add to that, if there IS a tone with an insert effect that you want, select it as UPR 1 and the MFX will get loaded and assigned, and you can use it like that. Plus an easy front panel button to turn the MFX on and off as needed.

Pretty much ANY keyboard can be learned intimately with time. I'm pretty fast getting around on my K2500/KDFX. But, after considerable time on both, I'm fairly confident that my G70 is faster to set up combis! And yes, although only having had the PA3X for a few weeks, I'm not entirely a Korg noob, having a Triton for years (and things haven't changed all THAT much from that progenitor!), so I think, at least from my perspective, in saying at this particular task, the G70 is without equal.

Simplicity has its advantages!

#357861 - 12/28/12 03:50 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

My KORG PA3x is AWESOME!!!

#357864 - 12/28/12 04:32 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
Possibly, Dennis...

One of the things that the simpler voice architecture of the Roland's affords you, though, is independence of sounds from effects architecture. When you listen to the Korg's sounds, you are generally listening to the patch AND it's associated insert effects. All well and good, but when selecting sounds in a hurry to create a split and layered combi, setting up the insert effects so there isn't a drastic change in sound is quite the task.

Roland's are much more WYSIWYG. You can select any patch, and be pretty assured that no matter how you use it, as a solo tone, as part of a layer on the LWR section, whatever, you are going to get what you expect. Add to that, if there IS a tone with an insert effect that you want, select it as UPR 1 and the MFX will get loaded and assigned, and you can use it like that. Plus an easy front panel button to turn the MFX on and off as needed.

Pretty much ANY keyboard can be learned intimately with time. I'm pretty fast getting around on my K2500/KDFX. But, after considerable time on both, I'm fairly confident that my G70 is faster to set up combis! And yes, although only having had the PA3X for a few weeks, I'm not entirely a Korg noob, having a Triton for years (and things haven't changed all THAT much from that progenitor!), so I think, at least from my perspective, in saying at this particular task, the G70 is without equal.

Simplicity has its advantages!

Actually it is rather more simple on the Korg than you make out or are aware of maybe??

And the PA series IS different in some important areas to the Triton series...although the Korg Insert efx structure is the same on all the boards, even the Kronos...

I prefer the Yamaha and Roland systems where the effects are loaded with the sound, hopwever you can run into issues, particularly with the Roland system with the limited number of insert efx slots (three from memory). Not so much an issue with Yamaha as they provide 8 on the XS series and above...

But as all keyboards involve a compromise or two, I am willing to live with the Korg system, to get ALL the other advantages for a live player..

By the way setting up a split on the Korgs is about a 1 second job...on the fly, even while playing a style....and setting up a left/hand right hand split performance is about the effort and speed as is required by the G70...and if you need the efx with the sound simply select copy from sound...pretty easy really...

All in all, I would say the PA series and the G70/E80 are about on par in this regard.

No argument that the Roland is a good deal better in the modifying styles and midis section...always has been smile

Dennis

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online