SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#357060 - 12/20/12 09:00 AM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: john smies]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep, the G-70 has some cool features, and that's fine if you prefer the older Roland sound, but many of us have a definite preference for the sound of Yamaha, Korg or Ketron products.

I love Yamaha's smooth, detailed, balanced sound far more than what I hear from other manufacturer's instruments, which is why I have a Tyros4 (which also has very cool features not found on the competition).

Sound is still the deciding factor for serious professionals, sometimes even to the point of adapting to an operating system that may or may not be quite as flexible or user friendly as that on other brand instruments.

Ian

#357064 - 12/20/12 10:03 AM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Iagree the g70 does have many great features......not for everyone......makes You wonder why they stopped making the series?.....Yes its heavy.....yes great makeup tools....yes drawbars.....yes keyfeel...built like a tank.....yes needs mp3 & USB......yes... vh is very good.....better then yammys vh2.... But not better then Tc helicon......great sound & styles.....yes fills & intros...........but not for everyone.......remains a classic arranger no doubt........good looking also....!

Edited by Dnj (12/20/12 10:12 AM)

#357065 - 12/20/12 10:12 AM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: Dnj]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Just a reminder that I said on the outset that with the possible exception of Tyros, PA3X and G70 this Behringer contraption would be a great asset. I hear you Fran, loud and clear and it is good to know that you and Diki are so satisfied with their Roland , the way Ian swears by his Tyros 4. But for all those without the sliders ( or very few of them) it remains a serious consideration in my view, particularly if you can pick 'em cheap the way I did. ( approx.
100 dollars)

regards
John

#357069 - 12/20/12 10:38 AM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

......not for everyone......but not for everyone.......

Just what are you trying to say, oh Pesce one?

It's most certainly not for you and I, Donny, and in my opinion, I find most of the older Roland TOTL sounds are a bit dated (the piano still holds up pretty good) and, of course, "dated" to me may mean "classic" to someone else...plus, it is far too portly and unwieldy for my needs, especially compared to the newer lighter and sleeker instruments.

It appears to be very use-able (and valuable) mainly to a few Roland devotees on this forum, and that's great...my Uncle Jim always said, "There is a home for every pup."

Ian

#357076 - 12/20/12 10:59 AM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Ian, I just feel that the only things outdated are the players themselves,....a good player will sound good on most arranger kbs with decent sounds and styles and a little know how,...
the G70 certainly is equipped to do that for sure,...I think that you would agree that a Stradivarius Violin although very old still sounds amazing in the right hands?...ok then, let's continue to enjoy all that we choose to play. Personal choices with gear is just that "PERSONAL" and unique to the individual that uses it.Roland has and still makes some of the best gear on the planet used worldwide on stages and venues worldwide. Yamaha also has their fan base, but same scenario their gear is NOT for everyone's needs. And so does the other manufacturers like KORG, Ketron, Casio, etc, there are too many variants for everyone to like one thing. That is why I just generalize the whole silly mine is better then yours effect by just saying "Lets Hear What You Got" headphone nuff said! ....that solves the whole issue and is the Bottom line to the silly subject of what is BEST!
What it has means squat!.....
but,... What it Sounds like is what counts!.. wink

Merry Christmas my friends.

#357082 - 12/20/12 11:28 AM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: john smies]
ianmcnll Offline

Yep...sound is important, and it's number one when I make a choice for an arranger.

In my opinion many of the older Roland TOTL arranger's sounds are dated, especially when Korg and Yamaha are using DNC, Super Articulation and Mega-voices that have set new standards for realism, not to mention Ketron's incredible audio styles.

I'm not saying the older Rolands aren't usable...several users here swear by them, and who am I to argue...to each his own.

They just aren't usable enough for me.

Ian

#357107 - 12/20/12 02:53 PM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As I have said many, many times, I am quite well aware that, purely as an arranger, there is much that is better on other keyboards. Even on some newer Roland arrangers...

But my usage of the G70 goes WAY beyond simple auto-accompaniment. I have always said, better ONE tool you know intimately, than two or three you are less familiar with. So, whether I go out as a solo, a duo, or slot into a full band, whether I am performing live or laying tracks down in a studio, I prefer to have ONE tool to cover all the bases. Yes, this means a certain amount of compromise on certain of the aspects (far fewer than you would think), but what you gain is (as this thread demonstrates) intimate knowledge of EVERY aspect of the machine, and a rapidity of thought to action which is the primary need when performing live or laying tracks down in an expensive studio.

So, while, at certain things, I'll admit that some newer arrangers have a slight edge, as the total package, nothing even comes CLOSE. Your bandleader calls out a tune you haven't prepared for, what sounds, layers and splits and effects pops into your mind while he counts it in... by the end of the intro, I can create an entire multi-sound setup, volumes, effects and layout the way I want it. Nothing I have ever used, tried or read about comes even CLOSE!

But don't think I don't get jealous a bit! SA2 voices are wonderful (can't say the same about the drums!). The CS on the Korg is wonderful. Can't say the same about the piano, or the OS! For every advantage, there's a disadvantage that, for my needs, outweighs it. In a live band, 76 is almost mandatory (tough to play a full piano or Rhodes part on a 61, and splits need enough range to cover a couple of sounds through their entire usable range) and speed of creating setups on the fly is critical.

Then get it home, decide to modify a legacy style, a conversion, or SMF, and speed and ease of editing them to sound their best actually makes you look forward to doing it. Again, the G70 (and it's equivalents) has no equal in this regard.

It is a classic... Hard to imagine any of the other manufacturers (with their seemingly different priorities) ever coming out with an equivalent, and looking at Roland's current keyboard direction, it seems unlikely that Roland themselves will ever better it. AT WHAT IT DOES BEST.

Fortunately, for me at least, what it does best is EXACTLY what I need it to do..!

#357113 - 12/20/12 03:30 PM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: john smies]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
John...are you still wondering why "no action" to your original topic post?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#357120 - 12/20/12 04:48 PM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Fortunately, for me at least, what it does best is EXACTLY what I need it to do..!

It is very cool that you have found the best tool for the job...as I said earlier, there are a few here who are very happy with the instrument. I feel the same way about my Tyros4 (with expansion pack)...it will, quite likely, be my last major purchase as far as arrangers go.

Do you still have the second G-70?

Ian

#357124 - 12/20/12 05:45 PM Re: ABSOLUTE MAGI C, must have !!!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Ian, please try to not sidetrack this thread. The G70 was only mentioned in regard to Diki having both the G70 and the BCF2000 controller and why he had decided to use the G70 drawbars over using the BCF2000. It is not a thread about the G70 in general.

If you have any impressions of how the BCF2000 may relate to keyboards you use yourself then please post them.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online