SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#356052 - 12/07/12 08:58 AM Re: RIP Dave Brubeck [Re: brickboo]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Boo...Take five (1959)...Gravy waltz (1963)..

#356057 - 12/07/12 11:22 AM Re: RIP Dave Brubeck [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Boo, Dave was on Steve's show in 1963. It was a live show. They talked live about time signatures and played duo grand pianos.

They played both Take Five and Gravy Waltz. I was too dumb to know what I was listening to, but did know that, somehow, that was the musical direction I wanted to go.

Years later, he actually sat most of a set on my B-3 bench and played oh so tasty fills on my Suitcase Rhodes (the one Uncle Dave now has-set up at 90 degrees from the B-3) while I played every jazz tune I could pull off, at the Imperial House in Lexington. He had just played at Center college in Danville.

This would have been in 1978 or 9. He came back to the area three more times and always stayed at the Imperial house.

Talk about a lifetime memory.

Russ
P.S. The Rhodes intrigued him, but he didn't think it was a
"real piano".

#356058 - 12/07/12 11:27 AM Re: RIP Dave Brubeck [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Mason, I'll bet the farm you tried to get past that sweater" (LOL)!

R.

#356073 - 12/07/12 05:56 PM Re: RIP Dave Brubeck [Re: montunoman]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Oh well, I guess I was two much into Ray Charles at the time. I also had just started having to learn to play all of the old pop standards too at that time in the French Quarters, on Bourbon, Royal and Ursuline Streets. Oh! Mix in trying to learn to lay brick and take care of three children in diapers at 22 years old.

How did I find the time to learn Yakety Sax and Take Five. If I tried to do half that much today, I'd be dead in 24 hours. Man getting old is hell. Then after going through all of this crap, I have relatives that believe God is gonna burn me in hell after going through all of this. I don't believe it for a minute.

#356297 - 12/10/12 10:26 AM Re: RIP Dave Brubeck [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Boo, I have a feeling that wherever you end up, I'll be there, too.

I'm feeling the same pains...did the same silly things in you younger days, and...

DON'T REGRET A SECOND OF IT!

See you there, friend (just hope it's not real soon)!

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online