RIP Dave Brubeck

Posted by: montunoman

RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/05/12 09:26 AM

I always loved his music. What a legacy he leaves behind.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-dave-brubeck-dead-20121205,0,7126256.column
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/05/12 10:48 AM

How sad! I saw him with his children at Center college in Danville, and he stayed at a hotel I worked in Lexington several times.

He was Steve Allen's idol, and Steve was one of mine. Allen talked endlessly about unique time signatures, chord inversions, etc.

Steve wrote "Gravy Waltz", partially because of inspiration from "Take Five".

A jazz "giant and innovator", for sure.

And, one of my all-time favorites. Talk about longevity! He was still playing regularly in his 90's.

Russ
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/05/12 02:09 PM

One of the greatest jazz innovative geniuses of his time ... Saw him live a few times with Paul Desmond, Eugene Wright, Joe Morello ...
RIP
Posted by: Mockie

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/05/12 02:31 PM

Indeed a legend, loved all his stuff, not forgeting the great

Paul Desmond.

One more great has left us !

Frank
Posted by: Diki

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/05/12 04:17 PM

I'm taking five out of my day to remember this legend.
Posted by: Nigel

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/06/12 12:07 AM

Dave is truly a jazz legend that will be missed .... but never forgotten. This is so very sad. He leaves an awesome legacy behind.
Posted by: DonM

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/06/12 07:58 AM

Mixed memories of Dave. . .I went to see him when I was in college in the 60's. Great show, by a great talent! Only thing I had a blind date. I will never forget, it was in September and the temperature was around 100 and the girl wore a wool sweater and was wringing wet with sweat. She was probably nice, but I couldn't get past that sweater!
RIP Dave!
DonM
Posted by: 124

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/06/12 08:46 AM

The man that set the world a-struggling with 5/4. smile He made it sound so smooth though, didn't he? R.I.P. Mr. Brubeck.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/06/12 11:22 AM

I am still amazed listening to his recordings and hearing him FLAWLESSLY transition from one time signature to another ... piano
Posted by: brickboo

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/07/12 08:27 AM

[quote=captain Russ]How sad! I saw him with his children at Center college in Danville, and he stayed at a hotel I worked in Lexington several times.

He was Steve Allen's idol, and Steve was one of mine. Allen talked endlessly about unique time signatures, chord inversions, etc.

Steve wrote "Gravy Waltz", partially because of inspiration from "Take Five".

A jazz "giant and innovator", for sure.

And, one of my all-time favorites. Talk about longevity! He was still playing regularly in his 90's.

Russ
Am I losing my mind? It seems I was playing "Gravy Waltz" before I even heard of "Take Five."

Straighten me out here.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/07/12 08:58 AM

Boo...Take five (1959)...Gravy waltz (1963)..

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/07/12 11:22 AM

Boo, Dave was on Steve's show in 1963. It was a live show. They talked live about time signatures and played duo grand pianos.

They played both Take Five and Gravy Waltz. I was too dumb to know what I was listening to, but did know that, somehow, that was the musical direction I wanted to go.

Years later, he actually sat most of a set on my B-3 bench and played oh so tasty fills on my Suitcase Rhodes (the one Uncle Dave now has-set up at 90 degrees from the B-3) while I played every jazz tune I could pull off, at the Imperial House in Lexington. He had just played at Center college in Danville.

This would have been in 1978 or 9. He came back to the area three more times and always stayed at the Imperial house.

Talk about a lifetime memory.

Russ
P.S. The Rhodes intrigued him, but he didn't think it was a
"real piano".

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/07/12 11:27 AM

Mason, I'll bet the farm you tried to get past that sweater" (LOL)!

R.
Posted by: brickboo

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/07/12 05:56 PM

Oh well, I guess I was two much into Ray Charles at the time. I also had just started having to learn to play all of the old pop standards too at that time in the French Quarters, on Bourbon, Royal and Ursuline Streets. Oh! Mix in trying to learn to lay brick and take care of three children in diapers at 22 years old.

How did I find the time to learn Yakety Sax and Take Five. If I tried to do half that much today, I'd be dead in 24 hours. Man getting old is hell. Then after going through all of this crap, I have relatives that believe God is gonna burn me in hell after going through all of this. I don't believe it for a minute.

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck - 12/10/12 10:26 AM

Boo, I have a feeling that wherever you end up, I'll be there, too.

I'm feeling the same pains...did the same silly things in you younger days, and...

DON'T REGRET A SECOND OF IT!

See you there, friend (just hope it's not real soon)!

Russ