SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#355980 - 12/06/12 11:28 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: abacus
Well from the descriptions above and what I got from the manual, the Songbook is nothing more than pre-set registrations that have their storage map based around a song title template.

OK they might have the odd one or two extra features that some others don’t, but it’s certainly nothing to write home about. (Bit disappointing really considering how people rave about it)

Oh well!

Bill

rotfl oh well there are none so blind etc ......no surprises here.

#355991 - 12/06/12 12:55 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: miden

Nothing and I mean NOTHING comes even close to the Korg Songbook..Dennis

AMEN I agree totally !! clap

Ditto.

#356001 - 12/06/12 02:23 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
1. How many Acc and sounds per layer (Upper 1, Upper 2 etc.) can you have in each Registration (Songbook) Pre-set?

2. In addition to the above, can you also at the same time store the mappings of all the Acc/Sound Buttons and levels to your own design, so that you don’t have go through menus to get to them , and if so how many can you access with just one hardware button press.

3. Can the Mixer settings etc. be stored separately so that they can be used in other songs, or do you have to set them up for every songbook entry?

4. Can you assign a registration pre-set to each style variation to give even more flexibility?

5. What is the maximum number of Registration (Songbook) pre-sets can it be expanded to as part of its internal memory.

These questions (Which I asked in my first post) have not been answered, or are indicated in the manual, all you have mentioned so far is basic stuff which has been available on keyboards for donkey’s years.

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but until someone proves the Korg Songbook is something special (Not just having a few odd things that some other manufactures don’t have) then I just cannot see what all the fuss is about.

Bill

#356002 - 12/06/12 02:25 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that, until you are gigging live, many of the Korg Songbook's features seem somewhat marginal. You gigging these days, Bill?

Organization by SONG on the stage is what makes it so easy to use. Registrations usually have a different display structure, and generally a larger filesize requirement. The Korg Songbook is without doubt the best laid out and organized songbook feature on any arranger today...

If you use one.

#356006 - 12/06/12 02:41 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: abacus
1. How many Acc and sounds per layer (Upper 1, Upper 2 etc.) can you have in each Registration (Songbook) Pre-set?

2. In addition to the above, can you also at the same time store the mappings of all the Acc/Sound Buttons and levels to your own design, so that you don’t have go through menus to get to them , and if so how many can you access with just one hardware button press.

3. Can the Mixer settings etc. be stored separately so that they can be used in other songs, or do you have to set them up for every songbook entry?

4. Can you assign a registration pre-set to each style variation to give even more flexibility?

5. What is the maximum number of Registration (Songbook) pre-sets can it be expanded to as part of its internal memory.

These questions (Which I asked in my first post) have not been answered, or are indicated in the manual, all you have mentioned so far is basic stuff which has been available on keyboards for donkey’s years.

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but until someone proves the Korg Songbook is something special (Not just having a few odd things that some other manufactures don’t have) then I just cannot see what all the fuss is about.

Bill

Well if you actually read the post I made the answers are all there...as they are in the manual...perhaps you would be best to leave it to those folks who actually KNOW and have extensively used the keyboard, instead of trying to make profound comments based on zip experience with the Korg system, and it would seem only having "skimmed" the manuals - yes there is more than the quick start guide you know...

I decided not to waste any more energy on the answer than I did, as it was only really for someone who is just being obtuse...

I could go FAR more in depth - but I will not.

Oh, sorry to be blunt wink

#356010 - 12/06/12 03:10 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

I used primarily software with keyboard controllers from the late 80s to the early 00s, and only came back to all in one units when I could use my software in them, if you have just been used to hardware then I suppose the Songbook would seem advanced, and from that perspective I can understand, it’s just that for me (Personally) it’s just basic and nothing special.

Each to their own, I suppose

As to gigging, no I don’t, but I have never seen the songbook give any gigging artist an advantage over any other manufactures keyboard.

Bill

#356025 - 12/06/12 09:30 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Depends on how much eye contact and flow you are willing to lose with your audience while you try to go from where you are to a song that just popped into your head.

I'm afraid that playing at home simply does not expose you to the pressures that a LIVE player has.

#356040 - 12/07/12 04:03 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

As I have mentioned before I just briefly try these features out when I try a keyboard live, as I am more interested in how easy I can make it sound to my liking rather than to the manufactures liking.

Looking more in depth at various other manufactures manuals (Regarding Songbook functions) I can see that the more extensive range of features you can save on a Korg compared to others would probably be beneficial live, however I can save pretty much the same as songbook and more (Selection of what you want to save is slightly different) in a Total Pre-set, then I just name the pre-set the name of the song and save it into the appropriate group (Or create one if it doesn’t exist) thus it becomes easy to find. (In most cases I know the number of the pre-set so just switch to the on-screen number pad and select it like that. (Although how professionals remember 8000 or so pre-sets (The typical settings most pro’s use) is a bit beyond me.

On the other hand using the playlist function you can also set up specific groups of pre-sets (Songs) for different types of jobs, so if it pops into your head it’s probably already in the play list for that job.

In the final analysis it’s all down to personal choice and what you feel happy with. (I’ve had my Abacus for almost 10 years now, and there’s nothing come out that gives me even the slightest incentive to change)

Bill

#356043 - 12/07/12 05:42 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
I'm afraid that playing at home simply does not expose you to the pressures that a LIVE player has.

Very true. You sinply don't have the luxury of taking the time to sort it all out when the unexpected happens (and it will). That's why I feel much more comfortable staying away from any form of pre-arranged, pre-programmed, or pre-packaged performance. It only works well if everyone and everything stays on script. Solo or small group setting for me. I like the flexibility and comfort of not caring if a 'guest' singer wants to do a traditionally slow song fast or vise versa. Plus, it's a lot less to remember if you only play one instrument (and are old smile ). Just me, though.

chas

#356124 - 12/08/12 03:38 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a question..what does the Korg songbook save that the Roland G70 does not....Stephen and Dennis..you guys owned both..what do you say....or maybe you guys did not try the Roland thoroughly...Comparing info I do not find a difference..even tone edits can be recalled on the Roland without saving as a new tone...I don't think the Korg can untill it is saved as a new tone..Just asking....The G70 system is complete as I have seen..

Both can save sequences.....naturally the Korg has MP3 option...

The Roland also saves all edits for effects and mastering tools...not sure how Korg does this....

Korg has pads it can save...Roland has the D-beam..

All controllers and edits are saved on Roland...probably the same with Korg..

Output assignments ...saved on Roland..Korg?

All harmonizer settings are saved including edits on the Roland...most likely on the Korg too...

One edge in the harmonizer G70 is a "smart" read ..not needing to assign a track to read chords within a SMF..as on the Korg....but it will still save this in a user program...Does the Songbook save this?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online