SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#355119 - 11/21/12 01:47 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: DonM]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Don,
I think I'll play with that idea and see how it works for me I just have never operated with registrations so it will be something different for me.

Deane

#355120 - 11/21/12 02:33 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
It just seems a shame that Yamaha wasted all this time and money on a pitiful few new audio styles, when a few new drum KITS could have achieved exactly the same thing and so much more... at a fraction of the cost.

Totally agree. It's like they are experimenting, or testing the waters.
DonM

#355374 - 11/27/12 01:01 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Greetings everyone! It's been quite a while since I last posted. frown I heard the official demos and they do sound very good. The ac piano seems much improved and the guitars sound really good too. But I'm guessing the keys are still.. what's the word? Oh right, cheesy? wink But that's basically always been the case with Yamaha's PSR line of keyboards. I see they bumped up the speaker output to 15 watts which is a plus.

I've given up waiting for Yamaha to produce another 76 key high-end arranger. 50 percent of consumers actually prefer 76 keys over 61 keys (according to polls) and we've begged Yamaha for years but it has all fallen on deaf ears. I understand that Yamaha is in business to make money, and consequently, it does whatever is in its own best interest(s). But it just goes to show you that no matter what Yamaha customers (or potential customers) desire from them... Yamaha always ends up doing exactly what serves in their own best interest(s). While consumers are left waiting in the lurch desiring something from them that never seems to materialize. Which is very disheartening when you consider Yamaha's main priority seems to be only in looking out for themselves, as opposed to the actual people who buy their keyboards and other products, which keeps them in business. The data has shown that there is a viable market for quality 76/88 key arrangers, as evidenced by Korg, Roland and even Casio. And don't forget the Audya. But I digress. I'm just venting a little steam. Having been absent from the forums for so long I guess I need to get a lot of things off my chest. Critique should not be a lost art. If taken into consideration it can, in many instances, make a good company even better. If the company actually listens of course. wink

If the keys are better on the PSR-S950 than previous PSR models then I think fans of 61 key arrangers will be quite happy with the PSR-S950. If you don't mind the lack of audio style functionality that is. wink

There are some arranger keyboardists out there who actually prefer mushy keys. Just ask Gary. laugh So maybe that's why Yamaha continues to produce them? But when you realize that most keyboardists actually prefer great key action, it would seem to make much better sense (to me anyway) for Yamaha to produce better action key-beds for their PSR line of keyboards. The same line of reasoning should apply to their Drum kits as well in my opinion. If the Drum kits and key action were vastly improved on Yamaha arrangers they would undoubtedly sell "more" of them right? Sounds logical to me. So that must mean Yamaha is being illogical?? Or maybe it's just that they don't care?? Or perhaps they sell enough arrangers as it is that selling a boat load 'more of them' doesn't really appeal to them?? I guess when you're "king of the hill" you can do whatever you please. Which is the rationale and course of action that Yamaha seems to be taking. At the 'chagrin' of many of their customers (and potential customers) unfortunately. Oh well. That's Yamaha. Like it or lump it.

I'm gonna check out the PSR-S950 hopefully soon. My local GC has them in stock. If the keys are actually decent... I know I know, don't hold your breath, right? I might spring for one and then run it through an 88 key controller when using it for piano parts.

It's been quite a while since I've owned an arranger and the PSR-S950 seems to be a great price vs. performance option when comparing it to the much higher priced Tyros4. Since an 76/88 key mid/high-end arranger from Yamaha is out of the question, running the PSR-S950 through a 76/88 key controller is the only other option. Yamaha could 'theoretically' add enhanced features to the PSR-S950 with an OS update too. Audio style looping would be nice. I also like the extra memory. But mushy keys will probably be a deal breaker for me. Playing strings, guitar, sax, or whatever, on mushy keys, is not only a drag, it's also potentially bad for your hands. Having a firm amount of resistance in the key action actually improves muscle strength and control in the hands. I could tolerate the less than stellar Drum kits I suppose. But cheesy keys? I don't think so. I noticed in the official videos when the player depressed the keys it looked as if the keys didn't provide sufficient action or resistance. Having played a PSR-910 I can attest to the fact that Yamaha has a tradition of producing "cheesy keys" on their arranges. I'm hoping it's improved on the PSR-S950. We'll see.

All the best, Mike

Edited by keybplayer (11/27/12 01:11 PM)

#355375 - 11/27/12 02:07 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Hi Mike, good to see you back.
Different things bother different ones of us I suppose. I don't mind the keys. Faster action and easy on my aging fingers. If you didn't like the keys on earlier models, you won't like these either.
The drums are somewhat better, but still not as lively sounding as any of the other brands.
You know, there are other options. The Korg Pa line is excellent, and includes the 76-note version of the PA3X. You'll love the key action and the drums on it, plus the multitude of real-time controls, both fixed and fully programmable.
There are lot of folks waiting for the arrival of the PA600 as well.
Anyway, it's good to hear from you again!
DonM

#355377 - 11/27/12 03:00 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Isn't the key-bed exactly the same on the new 950 that was on the S910? Thought I heard that somewhere? As Don said ....It didn't bother me either when I had the 900/9a0....but once you feel a Pa33x or Tyros4, Audya, SD1, Roland G70, etc,. you will realize the difference in key-feel for sure.

#355380 - 11/27/12 03:45 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Mike, since the S950's keybed is the same as S910/S710/S900/S700, and you didn't like any of the latter, I'd suggest going with a Korg PA3XPro, which will give you a better feeling keybed than the cheaper PA-series, 76 notes, and Korg's very simple operating system, which is so intuitive, a child could handle it after only a few hours.

Lighter actions were never an issue with me, as I have come from a synthesizer/Hammond B-3 background as well as acoustic piano, and I had no problems going from one type to the other, but your mileage may vary.

As DonM has mentioned, the PA-600 by Korg is eagerly awaited (I suspect Donny will sell his PA3X and get a PA-600), and also there is talk of a PA-900 (to replace the aging PA-800).

If I want real 88-note "piano" weighted hammer action, which I only need occasionally, I use a Yamaha P-95 as a controller for my Tyros4...it's pretty inexpensive, very lightweight, and the action is graded hammer and very nice indeed.

Good to see you posting again.

Ian

#355389 - 11/27/12 07:59 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Well it's been several hours and I was able to scurry on down to GC and play not only the PSR-S950 but also the S750 and believe it or not they also had a Tyros4 on hand in the professional keyboard section ready to demo.

By the way thanks for the greetings. It appears everyone is doing well and I see Diki hasn't been banned permanently from the forum yet. That in itself is reason to rejoice. He brings an added dimension to the forum that keeps everybody on their toes. Especially Nigel. laugh lol

Back to the PSR-S950. You guys are right. The key action just doesn't cut the mustard for me but the keys are at least a little bit stiffer than the S750 keys are. Although one of the employees had just set up the S950 while I was there so it could be just a matter of it being brand new, whereas, the S750 could have been on the shelf quite a bit longer and played extensively by customers in the store. So perhaps that's why the keys felt a little mushier on the S750. They could have the same exact keybed in other words. Only the S950 keys hadn't been "broken in" yet. Although only Yamaha knows for certain I suppose.

Regarding the sounds. I thought the sounds on the S950 were very nice overall and I think some of them were even comparable in quality to the Tyros4. I tried the audio styles and if you ask me there's not much of a difference between them and the regular midi styles in my opinion. The styles themselves were excellent in many cases and I think the PSR-S750 or S950 would make a good choice for beginners or even more advanced players who want a lighter package with relatively good sounds. As in Don's case. The S950 is half the price of a Tyros4 and it has a few additional features that the Tyros4 doesn't have. So if you don't mind the slightly cheesy keys the S950 and S750 could make a valuable addition to someone who doesn't already have an arranger keyboard or to someone who may just want a back-up.

I think the best path forward for me is to probably wait until one of the Big Three releases a 256 note polyphony arranger that won't break the bank. I noticed the Tyros4 was on sale at GC for $3,749 and with my superb bartering skills I'm sure I could haggle them down even further. But I really want something in 76 keys or even 88 keys if the weight isn't an issue. I really like the PAX3PRO but I just can't get over the realization it only has 120 note polyphony. Some of Casio's Privia line (although not arrangers) have 128 note polyphony and the prices are around $500 bucks or thereabouts. I'm really hoping Korg puts it in gear and will release a next generation arranger with 256 note polyphony. Arrangers today are so complex with so many advanced features that 128 note polyphony really isn't sufficient any longer in my humble opinion. I realize the Big Three are milking 128 note polyphony for all it's worth. But eventually they need to smell the coffee and wake up to reality that 128 note polyphony just doesn't cut it any longer. Although if something came along that was the bee's knees yet only had 128 note polyphony, I would seriously consider getting it. If I had my druthers though I would much prefer a 256 note, 76 key model, that won't break the bank. I know I know. I realize that may be next to impossible. At least in the near term. Once 256 note polyphony arrangers have been around for a while the prices should drop accordingly.

All the best, Mike

PS: Happy holidays everyone! I'll try to check in more often. I may have to buy a cheap Casio WK-7500 just so I can say I have an arranger and be able to feel more at home on this forum. laugh I feel a little out of place not having an arranger and posting on an arranger forum. By the way, my Roland Fantom G7 is still plugging away. I really miss arrangers though. There's a lot you can do with an arranger that you obviously can't do with a traditional workstation. Hello! Auto-accompaniment for one. Easier on the back in most cases too. I'll keep my fingers crossed that something will come along in the near future. These are exciting times and the technology keeps getting better and better. Now if the prices would just go down a little. wink

Edited by keybplayer (11/27/12 08:04 PM)

#355394 - 11/27/12 08:34 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Too high for the Tyros 4. Talk to Frank at audioworksct.com, especially if you are on his side of the continent.
DonM

#355396 - 11/27/12 09:38 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Mike .... good to have you back ... best of luck in your search for an arranger kb ...

Don ... looks like Mike is in CA and Frank it in CT ... only one letter difference, but about as far as you can get from each other on the same continent ... grin

#355397 - 11/27/12 09:41 PM Re: S950 Audio Styles [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Better check with George Kaye!
DonM

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online