SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#355802 - 12/03/12 09:56 PM Korg PA600 First Impressions
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I received my first PA600 today at my music store in Southern California.
When I unpacked the carton I was very happy to see the power chord for this model is a direct plug in from keyboard to wall with no external power supply. I looked to see if this was a USA model only and was again happy to see that it adjusts itself to all power voltages and both 50 and 60hz automatically.

The keyboard is light and very attractive. There are many fewer buttons than on previous models but this is in no way a difficult keyboard to operate. In fact, Korg has improved in many ways the functions and layout. I really like that there is now a dedicated single button to allow the user to save an initial start up mode to whatever one likes. All you do is make some adjustments and push and hold this button and than the screen asks if you would like to save this. Now, anytime you power up the board it's the way you want it. Ketron calls this a "power on save" function.

The sounds and styles are just what I thought they would be. A PA800 but just a about a third the price! The chord sequencer is right out of the PA3X and now there is an auto fill button which the older models never had.

The song play mode now only has one player instead of 2. I tried an MP3 with a vocal singer and I assigned the 2nd programmable switch button to be a vocal canceler and it worked great. With one push I muted the vocal down to almost nothing so one can sing over it. I can also change the tempo without affecting the pitch and I can control the transpose without affecting the tempo.

The next big test was to see how it loaded my Korg PA1x, 2x, PA80 and PA800 sets. Perfectly! All the new samples, sounds and styles played just as in the original models. And, after loading a set, I can turn off the keyboard and the set remains when the keyboard is turned on again and without any additional time in the loading process.

There is a DVD packages with the quick guide that comes from the factory. On this DVD is a 1 hour video training movie that was outstanding to learn all the basic steps in using this board. There is also 3 bonus sets which include a middle eastern set and a real drum set. These two sets can be individually loaded or there is a third set with both at the same time.

This keyboard is a major advancement over the now discontinued PA500 and it's at exactly the same price! With this new addition to the Korg family, Korg didn't come out with a brand new design but rather gave us a keyboard and a very modest price point that does a great job!
(Retired 2021)

#355822 - 12/04/12 10:07 AM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: George Kaye]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Thanks George. Your help and opinions are always appreciated.

#355824 - 12/04/12 10:30 AM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: George Kaye]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: George Kaye
There is a DVD packages with the quick guide that comes from the factory. On this DVD is a 1 hour video training movie that was outstanding to learn all the basic steps in using this board.

That's good news. Every keyboard should have that!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#355825 - 12/04/12 10:52 AM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks George. Sounds like a winner.
I was debating with myself...do I want to learn a new keyboard OS, but hey... why not, can't be that hard.
Hope they will make more available nationwide, and soon...like now?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#355853 - 12/04/12 08:55 PM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: lahawk]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I spoke with the New York Product Manager from Korg today about availability. He said that they would not be receiving a fairly sizable order until the end of December or the beginning of January.
I also found out that there is a square screwed down cover plate on the back of the keyboard that houses a memory card which is how Korg will make different country versions available. These cards will be copy protected so as not to be able to be copied and will add sounds and styles without having to loose any of the internal stock memory.
(Retired 2021)

#355864 - 12/04/12 11:40 PM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
About my only major issue with the PA600 is that the dual button press HAS to be used for the Chord Sequence because there is no 5 button footpedal input. George, if you have ANY input to Korg, could you point out to them that the double button press for this function is VERY difficult to get 100% reliable.

There's room on the main touch-screen for buttons to run it from there... if Korg don't fix this, this great feature may go the way of the Roland's, simply because of ergonomics, not usefulness...

#355896 - 12/05/12 09:35 AM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: George Kaye]
Haytham Offline

Thank you George for the update on this.
I have two questions is you don't mind
1- If it comes with a middle eastern set and you can load middle eastern stuff why Korg have the QT version
2- Between this one and the psr s750/950 can you do a small comparison please.

Thanks
Haytham.

#355921 - 12/05/12 02:12 PM Re: Korg PA600 First Impressions [Re: George Kaye]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I found this very interesting, as I have heard some great sounds and styles (mainly European) from the Musikant German version of the PA600.
Originally Posted By: George Kaye

I also found out that there is a square screwed down cover plate on the back of the keyboard that houses a memory card which is how Korg will make different country versions available. These cards will be copy protected so as not to be able to be copied and will add sounds and styles without having to loose any of the internal stock memory.

http://www.korg.de/nc/news/news-uebersicht/datum/2012/09/03/pa600-musikant-lokalisierung.html

Frank

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online