SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#354804 - 11/15/12 12:11 PM S950 WAV Multipads
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I just downloaded the S950 manual (someone has to read them!) and found to my disappointment that the WAV multipads have a VERY significant drawback...

For some ungodly reason, Yamaha have decided that they can only be one-shot pads. In other words, they will not loop. This basically destroys much of their potential.

I was hoping that this feature would somehow make up for the fact that you will never be able to create your own audio loop styles, and will be forced to pay through the nose for any new audio styles (plus, of course, they can't be loaded up on the gig as needed).

For many modern styles based around loop production, fills are not as big a thing, and the groove goes from one loop to another. Right, I thought. Finally an affordable arranger that makes it easy to put four loops up and use them as the primary rhythm... But noooooo! Yamaha couldn't be bothered to add a simple WAV loop parameter!

The more and more I read about these new audio functions, the more I realize that Yamaha have rushed them out the door without really thinking them through. Let's just hope that, by the time they stick them in a Tyros, these absurd limitations have been removed.

Oh, BTW, unless I haven't quite grokked the manual, it also appears you cannot link WAV multipads with MIDI ones.

computer

#354853 - 11/16/12 12:28 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Surprised this hasn't elicited a single response.

Maybe nobody saw the potential in being able to import top quality audio loops...

#354861 - 11/16/12 01:27 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: Diki]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I don't think it matters in nursing homes.But it would be nice.This is one thing I hate about Yamaha.Stupifying everything.Choosing for us what we need or not.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#354867 - 11/16/12 02:09 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: mirza]
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
I sent back the 750 when I discovered this limitation.

I file it under "epic fail." besides, I didn't hear the EPs or some other bread/butter sounds as improved over the 710/910. at all.

kinda sad when it's more fun to play a casio arranger (WK7500) than a Yamaha...

#354868 - 11/16/12 02:21 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: tom moon]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tom moon
I sent back the 750 when I discovered this limitation.

I file it under "epic fail." besides, I didn't hear the EPs or some other bread/butter sounds as improved over the 710/910. at all.

kinda sad when it's more fun to play a casio arranger (WK7500) than a Yamaha...

Tom ...I think many people were anxiously awaiting a major change from the last S series units with the S950/750 and unfortunately that didn't happen quite as expected. These could be one of those interim "Skip it till next time' scenarios as they sound sop much like the previous units.
I don't think "Black" although an improvement will not be a solid reason for changing. These so called Audio Styles have yet to be a major break through sound wise as of what I've heard so far ...I may be wrong but can only judge from what I hear. I also hear there isn't much improvement in the MFD features also? I think anyone thinking S950 should go the extra step for a T4....good luck

#354869 - 11/16/12 02:30 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
950 has new drum kits, new vocal harmonizer, new distortion effects, new guitars, pianos and other new sounds. It also plays Tyros 4 styles very well. It is way easier to carry than Tyros and costs half as much. It has very good speakers.
The old sounds and styles may have the same names, but most of them are noticeably improved over the previous PSRs that I've heard.
I have not tried to do anything with the audio pads, but they seem to be missing some really great possibilities, and if past history is anything to go by, don't expect any major upgrades until a new model comes out.
Nothing earth-shattering, but a nice motl keyboard.
DonM

#354885 - 11/17/12 07:15 AM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: DonM]
billyhank Offline

DonM,

I whole heartedly agree - The S950 is a very good keyboard for the price.

Bill G

#354905 - 11/17/12 08:27 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

It just seems a major pain that the only two NEW features of it are so crippled.

You are essentially paying through the nose for a few more sounds and a few more styles. What's a new S950? What can you get for a used S910? Now divide the difference by the few new sounds and styles. How much are you paying for each?

#354906 - 11/17/12 09:30 PM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, I hadn't had a Yamaha since the S900, but the drums, piano, guitars and vocal harmonizer are much improved over it and it would have been worth it to change from that.
Can't say I would trade up from a 910 though because I never played one.
Pity they just teased us with the audio styles. I only use two of them sometimes, the Big Band and the Swing. If they would make a customizable pack with several of the styles of our choice it could be made into a valuable resource. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that though!
DonM

#354920 - 11/18/12 08:19 AM Re: S950 WAV Multipads [Re: Diki]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
In the future I have a feeling Yamaha will make more audio styles and pads available for the S950, for purchase of course, and hopefully loop pads will be part of the selection. But first they need to manufacture and sell the "T5" that will probably already have these features on board. Just a hunch.

As far as comparing prices and features between boards, one needs to look at it from all angles. To some, the S950 may not seem to be a huge upgrade from the S910 and to Yamaha's credit, the relatively comparable price between the two reflects that.

But I'm also not sure it's that big of a downgrade from the T4, and at huge price difference, may make the S950 an attractive alternative, especially for those currently not owning a S910.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online