SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#353908 - 11/01/12 07:06 PM New Roland BK 3 arranger
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
http://www.roland.com/products/en/BK-3/

Scaled down BK 5 with 1 output ( shared phone/TRS line out like low end PSRs), yet USB to device, mp3, wave play and record ,light (16 lbs). Lyric display on iPad is nice.

Hopefully the price is $ 499.

Edited by jamman (11/01/12 07:11 PM)

#353914 - 11/02/12 03:03 AM Re: New Roland BK 3 arranger [Re: jamman]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Thanks for the info. BK-3 will be an option for those considering the PSR S650 or Pa50SD/microarranger. The ipad sync is great. Cheaper way of getting access to the Roland sounds and styles.

Auron Music

#353924 - 11/02/12 07:35 AM Re: New Roland BK 3 arranger [Re: Jez]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, here we go again. What is Roland thinking? I bought the BK-7M and it has really great sounds. Later I bought the BK-5 Keyboard thinking it would sound just like the BK-7M. Big disappointment - sent it back after only 4 days. Don't know why Roland doesn't jump back into the TOTL arranger market again.

Deane

#353934 - 11/02/12 09:07 AM Re: New Roland BK 3 arranger [Re: hammer]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Many have the same question: why not TOTL arrangers when they do invest in advanced technologies like sound modelling etc. on their high end synths. Earlier, they would incorporate the technology advancements of their other product lines onto arrangers like the multi velocity switched samples of V drums etc. They have SN tones which has great realism like the SA on Yamaha ( SA still has the edge over DNC and SN ) but it hasn't made its way to the arrangers.

Bk-7m is the MOTL TOTL , bk-5 is the TOTL MOTL and bk-3 is the TOTL BOTL wink

Deane, nice to see you back. smile

Auron Music

#353950 - 11/02/12 11:30 AM Re: New Roland BK 3 arranger [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: hammer
Well, here we go again. What is Roland thinking? I bought the BK-7M and it has really great sounds. Later I bought the BK-5 Keyboard thinking it would sound just like the BK-7M. Big disappointment - sent it back after only 4 days. Don't know why Roland doesn't jump back into the TOTL arranger market again.

Deane

Also good to see you back, Deane.

What is strange is that Roland has the content to use in TOTL arrangers, as evidenced in their Atelier line, and their extensive use of the incredible SuperNatural sound technology, which, is still being improved and advanced and marketed in their pro synthesizer line-up very successfully.

Whatever the reason, it is no doubt only known to the "higher ups" at Roland.

Ian

#353951 - 11/02/12 11:35 AM Re: New Roland BK 3 arranger [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: hammer

Deane

Yeah, I wish they would make a TOTL as well... I think Diki sums it up quite well:

I think that Roland seem to have got a pretty good handle on the arranger market right now. Concentrate on the low to middle end of the market. While we make what SEEMS to be a fair amount of noise about the high end of the scale, we are but a TINY percentage of the market. And growing smaller every day.

You see, contrary to what impression you might get if you were deluded enough to think that SZ in any way represented the majority of arranger players, most people that buy an arranger do not immediately start obsessing over what the NEXT one might do. In fact, the vast majority of arrangers go to people without the skills (or desire!) to learn the capabilities, in full, of what they already got!

Think of them, in a way, as Granddad's 'home organ', sitting in the dusty living room... HE certainly didn't change organs every time a new one came out! They sit in the living room (or bedroom, or closet!) for YEARS..!

High end arranger sales are dropping like flies. People got a LOT more on their plate than what to waste their money on, these days. In the meantime, the low end arrangers have become SO MUCH better than they used to be, for anyone less than a professional or a VERY serious hobbyist (with deep pockets), they are all anyone could need!

Look at the low end that has come out lately. PA600, BK-7m/BK5... Arrangers down in that $1000 price range (still not chump change when you compare them to the über-cheapies down at Sears). They easily blow the TOTL from 10 years ago out of the water! It has gotten to the point that, unless you are a total arranger FREAK (or one of the many here that seem to think that a new arranger is the way to play better!), a $1000 arranger is all you will ever need.

So moving away from the VERY expensive TOTL arrangers, with their rapidly diminishing market (if you are the major supplier of arrangers to a small area, perhaps you haven't noticed this, but go talk to one of the smaller dealers!) and rapidly narrowing capabilities and sound with the BOTL seems to be a smart move.

The only REAL area left for improvement is what YOU play on them, not some bell and whistle. And, from so much of what I hear here, that's an untapped well of need! One that will not be met by buying a TOTL arranger!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online