SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#353978 - 11/02/12 10:26 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: lahawk]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Thanks Dave...good to know. Jeez, in one night you have helped eased my concern on a keyboard and the iPad mini.
That's a Double Thanks smile

Now ... if we could only fix those darn EAGLES!!!!!!!!
smile

#353980 - 11/02/12 11:39 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I liked their "Hell Freezes Over" concerts...they are a great band wink.

I hope they get together again. wink

Ian

#353982 - 11/03/12 05:35 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By: lahawk
what??? Dave just got an S950?

Nice...

Yup - I needed to have a quicker, lighter alternative to using the add on sound bar with my PA3x. The Korg sounds great with the PA-AS, but it's more to carry ... yada, yada, yada ....

2 cool things re: s950:

1. the auto off can be shut off, or set to increments from 5 min to 120 min
2. the seated contrast viewing issue is greatly reduced if you choose a different wallpaper - I use the third one ... it's called Light Pillar
Go to: function/utility/main picyure ... and pick the background that looks best at your viewing angle!

Those silent slabs got you again eh?...... wink anyway, I hope you like the S950....please keep us posted as you get acquainted Dave! If there wasn't a gas shortage here I'd drive out for breakfast and check it out.. cool2

#354003 - 11/03/12 01:32 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
Uncle Dave Offline

Another surprise I found was Yamaha's reply to Korgs dual song player. In the Korg, you can load either smf or MP3 in either player, but the Yamaha only lets you transition from one format to the other. This is because they have different players, I suppose. The fadar is slower, and digital, but it does give you the opportunity to cue up an SMF and an MP3 and fade from one into another. Nice surprise.

#354006 - 11/03/12 03:28 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: Uncle Dave]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Very interesting Uncle Dave,
Thanks

#354010 - 11/03/12 06:47 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Another surprise I found was Yamaha's reply to Korgs dual song player. In the Korg, you can load either smf or MP3 in either player, but the Yamaha only lets you transition from one format to the other. This is because they have different players, I suppose. The fadar is slower, and digital, but it does give you the opportunity to cue up an SMF and an MP3 and fade from one into another. Nice surprise.

That's too bad I consider that a big drawback vs KORG song player..

#354026 - 11/04/12 09:07 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
Uncle Dave Offline

Well, it is a few steps behind the functionality on the Korg, but the 910 didn't have it at all, so in one way - it's a giant leap forward.

#354027 - 11/04/12 09:12 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Well, it is a few steps behind the functionality on the Korg, but the 910 didn't have it at all, so in one way - it's a giant leap forward.

Thats why the LAPTOP is King on stage! rocker

#354030 - 11/04/12 09:40 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

Hey, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...in all seriousness, it is good to have competition, as we can see in this case.

Like you, I was not immensely blown away by the Audio drums (although, they are good I still think Ketron has the edge), and I was actually more impressed with the basic overall sound, which, for a price considerably less than a Tyros4, is pretty darn nice.

I am anxiously awaiting my demo model, and very curious to what Tyros4 styles I have edited/assembled to my liking (especially the ones with the auto rotary speaker speed change), will work in the S950...I see, from the Data List, that it has the required voices to make them work.

I am also glad to see that my favorite Tyros SA organ sounds, Whiter Bars and AllBarsOut, have made it on the S950.

Looking forward to more of your impressions, Dave.

Ian

#354031 - 11/04/12 09:50 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
Uncle Dave Offline

Ian,
I do love this thing already, and I agree about the drums. The pro and session kits sound pretty darn good by themselves. The realism of the first two audio jazz swing beats is tough to fault though. I could play those two patterns for hours and hours and feel like I'm sitting on stage with Max Roach. I'm sure more styles will become available as time moves forward.

One thing that always puzzled me about Yamaha programming is that organs and strings rarely respond to the sustain pedal. While I understand the thinking behind it - I'd still like to have the extra control over these sounds because of all we do with our hands in a live performance. Do you know if there is a parameter that address this?
Thanx,
Dave

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online