SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#353937 - 11/02/12 09:14 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Tilting the entire keyboard to get a better angle on the display is NOT a solution!

Ask any piano teacher... the angle your HANDS make with the keybed is the critical dimension to be able to play well and without fatigue. If you have to alter this to simply be able to see the display, someone in the R&D team goofed. Plain and simple.

Agree of course, but I think we are talking minute adjustments here, if any at all are needed. Only way to know is to get one in your hands and try it!
DonM

#353942 - 11/02/12 10:04 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: lahawk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk
An adjustable tilt screen display to correct for any angle should be standard on any keyboard. It can't be that expensive to make.

Still waiting for a report on the Pa600 display viewing angle...Anyone?

technics has had adjustable tilt screens from my first kn1000 in 1992 (and possibly before) to my kn6000 ... it's value can't be overstated ...

#353947 - 11/02/12 10:57 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, an adjustable tilt screen can be quite expensive to make. You have to remember that for those arrangers with touch screens, the screen has to lock securely enough that it will not move while you poke and prod it (fairly firmly), or in non-touch versions, the buttons that surround the screen (and are critical to selecting what's on the screen) also need to be very firmly fixed.

You also have to take into account that the displays like the KN1000, only a 2 line LCD display moved. No buttons moved, no touch-screen needed to be braced. A VERY different proposition to today's huge displays.

I have not yet played a PA3XPro, only the non-moving PA3X61. But I imagine that that motorized, moving display adds considerably to the cost of the arranger. Maybe not a big deal on a $3500+ arranger. But likely quite an addition to a $1500 one.

#353960 - 11/02/12 07:01 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Actually the KN-1000 was a tiny pop up screen with very little chromatic information. Technics later developed the color tilt screen, buttons and all, in the KN-5000.

I agree with Diki, that an ajustable TOUCH SCREEN would probably add to the over all cost, but Yamaha currently is not in the touch screen arranger market, so why could they not produce something similar to the KN-5000 photo above?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#353963 - 11/02/12 07:19 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Larry,

Wasn't the Technics KN-5000 a TOTL arranger, that would be comparable to today's Tyros or Korg's PA3X?

I doubt if we will see an adjustable/tilt screen on a Yamaha MOTL (or any brand MOTL) for quite some time, although I could be wrong.

For both Yamaha and Korg this type of screen will probably be kept to top range instruments for now, at least.

Ian

#353969 - 11/02/12 08:38 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Good point Ian, but if we are being asked to spend nearly 2G's for a keyboard, no matter if it's defined as a MOTL, we should expect a better viewing display than what's been reported on the S950

I don't expect the same display that's on a T-4, but perhaps something similar that was used on the above KN5000 and btw that was about 15 years ago. That's not asking for a lot.

I do expect an upgrade from previous MOTL arrangers. Problem is, and again it's been reported by some new owners, that the S950 display is worse than the S910 display.

We shall see...hope they are wrong.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#353970 - 11/02/12 08:51 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Larry, I haven't tried the S950 (only briefly) so I can't give a solid opinion, but I do agree it should be at least as good or better than previous instruments. I really liked the screen on the S910, and found it very readable.

I'm not on any Yamaha forums anymore, so I don't know what people have been reporting.

I do feel that tilt/adjustable is in the future for MOTL instruments, regardless of brand, as it will affect cost, and, in that area, it is very competitive, so, I suppose the first company to use that type screen on an MOTL, will force others to follow...but not until.

There were delays with the S950, so perhaps the screen issue was part of the reason...I really don't know much beyond a guess right now.

Uncle Dave just got his S950, so maybe he can enlighten us further about the screen.

Ian

#353972 - 11/02/12 08:57 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Agree Ian, we should just wait and judge the screen for ourselves....and what??? Dave just got an S950?

Nice...

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#353973 - 11/02/12 09:24 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: lahawk]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: lahawk
what??? Dave just got an S950?

Nice...

Yup - I needed to have a quicker, lighter alternative to using the add on sound bar with my PA3x. The Korg sounds great with the PA-AS, but it's more to carry ... yada, yada, yada ....

2 cool things re: s950:

1. the auto off can be shut off, or set to increments from 5 min to 120 min
2. the seated contrast viewing issue is greatly reduced if you choose a different wallpaper - I use the third one ... it's called Light Pillar
Go to: function/utility/main picyure ... and pick the background that looks best at your viewing angle!

#353977 - 11/02/12 09:40 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Thanks Dave...good to know. Jeez, in one night you have helped eased my concern on a keyboard and the iPad mini.
That's a Double Thanks smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online