SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#353844 - 10/31/12 09:23 PM Re: S950 viewing angle while seated [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I spoke with Steve Demming at Yamaha yesterday because he called wanting me to return my store unit for replacement due to a firmware update. I asked him what the update does and he hadn't a chance to find out yet. I'm hoping it might allow for recording with audio styles but I will have to wait to find out.
I notice when the keyboard is on a two tier stand and the higher one at that and I angle the keyboard down a bit, the display at the top where the tabs for selecting Preset, User and USB are a bit blacked out until I change my angle of view. It can be annoying but it is what it is.
(Retired 2021)

#353861 - 11/01/12 08:34 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks George and Tim,

Perhaps an update will 'clear up' the display, but it makes one wonder why they did not have an angled or a mechanical tilt design, or at least a sharper LCD in the first place confused1 This is a fault we would not know about, unless actual users reported, so this leads me to another topic...

Does anyone own, or has even played, a Korg Pa600? Are they available now? (Guitar Center claims 12/15/2012)

We would all like to hear from actual 'hands on users' and their thoughts, on among other things, the Pa600 display, and the display viewing angle.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#353862 - 11/01/12 08:49 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I seem to recall that some people had a problem with the angle on PSR S900. It didn't bother me. Mine is on a stand that can be tilted to any angle. I suppose an adjustable screen would add to the price.
DonM

#353864 - 11/01/12 08:51 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Forgot about Col(Saswick) owning a Pa600 frown Perhaps he will share his honest opinion on the LCD display, and the viewing angle, while seated.

Even though I never personally viewed the S950 display, however from other reports, it seems to be a minor problem, although I know someone who sent his back, it was a deal breaker for him. Of course he had a T-4 and he was probably a little spoiled by the best smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#353866 - 11/01/12 08:57 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: DonM]
lahawk Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I seem to recall that some people had a problem with the angle on PSR S900. It didn't bother me. Mine is on a stand that can be tilted to any angle. I suppose an adjustable screen would add to the price.
DonM

That...and you are 6' 8"... seated laugh2

Tilted stands are good..which one do you have Don?
Thanks

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#353872 - 11/01/12 10:43 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
Dnj Offline

is it so hard to make a tilted screen like my old KN5000? what wrong with the R&D team?

#353876 - 11/01/12 11:12 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Even though I never personally viewed the S950 display, however from other reports, it seems to be a minor problem, although I know someone who sent his back, it was a deal breaker for him. Of course he had a T-4 and he was probably a little spoiled by the best smile

Larry, I can't comment too much on the S950's screen, as I only had a short time with it when Peter Baartmann was showing it to us back in August, but I had no trouble viewing it at the time, and although I'm not 6'8" like friend DonM.(I just squeak by the 6'1" mark), and the display view was just fine.

I still haven’t got my demo yet, but that isn't an unusual thing...some dealers are very aggressive and get units ahead of even us poor insignificant clinicians.

The interest in the S950 has been a bit overwhelming...I, personally, got over 200 emails since last Wednesday regarding it’s availability (and many asking for my opinion) and the other clinicians and dealers appear to be having similar experiences.

So, when I get my demo model, and have some more time with it, and also have several clients try it as well, I'll be able to give more information on the S950's screen.

Ian

#353896 - 11/01/12 02:27 PM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: lahawk]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Originally Posted By: DonM
DonM

That...and you are 6' 8"... seated laugh2

Tilted stands are good..which one do you have Don?
Thanks

I'm still using Ultimate Support stands, that look like erector sets. I can customize them just about any way I want. I have a whole attic full of parts.
And, I'm only 6'5" these days. I'm down to a svelte 275 today. Lost 12 pounds in the past six days on low carb diet. My goal is 240! Should make it by the first of the year or shortly after.
DonM

#353930 - 11/02/12 08:32 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tilting the entire keyboard to get a better angle on the display is NOT a solution!

Ask any piano teacher... the angle your HANDS make with the keybed is the critical dimension to be able to play well and without fatigue. If you have to alter this to simply be able to see the display, someone in the R&D team goofed. Plain and simple.

#353935 - 11/02/12 09:08 AM Re: Yamaha Just Released 1st Shipment of PSRS950s [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

An adjustable tilt screen display to correct for any angle should be standard on any keyboard. It can't be that expensive to make.

Still waiting for a report on the Pa600 display viewing angle...Anyone?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online