SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#353002 - 10/17/12 11:49 AM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Larry and Ian are right. On most of my studio work, I never even meet the people who have put down the previous tracks.

But I certainly agree with Diki; it's on the bandstand where the "rubber meets the road".

My life would be infinitely easier if I played guitar to tracks. I won't do it. Instead, I have developed a style that incorporates free flowing bass lines with a coherent lead/melody.

It's a lot harder, but, you know what? That style on nylon string guitar is in constant demand for State Government dinner functions, anniversary dinners...lots of functions, at top dollar.

The other end of the coin is, there's no respect in being a "music whore"...relying on tricks and gimmicks to hide the lack of ability.

Trying new things is OK. Being true to yourself is OUTSTANDING! Finding the balance between talent and tools is PHENOMENAL!

Russ

#353003 - 10/17/12 12:24 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Emphasis is on the word confuse the "integrity of the music" with narrow mindedness and/or unwillingness to try, or appreciate something new or different.

I suspect most SZ'ers, especially those making use of an arranger keyboard, don't have issues with the latter part of the above. We play a very misunderstood, and often unappreciated type of instrument, sometimes looked down upon by some alleged purists.

Come to think of it, being narrow-minded would have prohibited such giants as Cecil Taylor, Miles Davis, and others like John Cage, Brian Eno, from creating sub genres (or whole new ones) from long established forms simply by thinking/creating outside the box, and/or using unconventional musical instruments; or, an alternative approach to playing traditional ones.

I have created many backing tracks for people I have never met using an Arranger Keyboard...just a few months ago, I did 20 background tracks for a Maritime singer/songwriter who I never met, except through his producer/arranger...this artist writes a lot of "filler" tunes that end up in Nashville on some "big name's" latest album, and he hopes that someday one ends up as a hit.

I never expected to work in that type situation, but, it pays the bills, and, not only is it fun, but it has helped me grow musically.

If one expects to survive in this business, being true to oneself is very important, but no more important than knowing how and when to adapt to new situations and industry direction.

My opinion, of course.

Ian

#353005 - 10/17/12 12:35 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: lahawk]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
"music whore".
I like that one..hehehe
Well,why spend 100's of hours learning and $1000 music instructors .And why only being yourself when you can be anyone, for as cheap as $4.95.Actually,why learning anything in your life.Yamaha is there to think for you.
Something like that should be slogan for audio tracks.
I can almost make it like a song..hehehe.It will be called"Musical Whore". hehe
But it's gotta be a country song,because it will be very,very sad.

you gotta joke about these things.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#353007 - 10/17/12 01:46 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

I love Country music...

A favorite tune is Vince Gill's,

"It's Hard to Kiss the Lips at Night (That Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long}."

When asked what real country music was, Harlan Howard replied, "Country music isn't nothing but three chords and the truth."

Gibson allegedly made him a J-200 that only had 3 frets on it in the cowboy position!

Ian

#353009 - 10/17/12 02:16 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

I'm having a little trouble with the visualizing Miles playing with the new Yamaha product.

R.

#353010 - 10/17/12 02:22 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I'm having a little trouble with the visualizing Miles playing with the new Yamaha product.

R.

And rightly you should, Russell...Miles, may God rest his soul, has been very dead since September 28, 1991.

He was only 65 years old.

Ian

#353017 - 10/17/12 03:57 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

The concept was the point...the timeline was not. How about Stevie Ray, Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane...take your pick?

They are ALL gone but not forgotten.

They all recorded by laying down tracks and playing over them.

Bet none would embrace the new Yamaha, or happily play over tracks.

Don't blame Yamaha for developing the technology and introducing it.

Certainly not interested in going to see anyone use it.

R.

#353019 - 10/17/12 04:23 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Of course you wouldn't Russell...and, I am not a bit surprised you would not...it would be far beneath a proud and relatively gifted player like yourself.

Irregardless, I'm pretty sure Yamaha's Audio Backing Tracks will prove to be very popular (and a lot of fun), but no doubt, only to the HERE and BREATHING.

Ian

#353025 - 10/17/12 09:29 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: lahawk]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
There's plenty of room for diversity in how musicians do what they do.

I sequence and arrange all of my own backing tracks. I've been doing this since high school in 1986. I have many arrangements finished on different keyboards. I can bring all of those arrangements with me as WAV and MP3... much lighter than bringing 3-4 old workstations with me.

My talent is sequencing so I don't need to buy backing tracks, I create them. My wife and I both sing at our gigs and that's what we focus on. During a set, we sing and I play piano... Then we add a few backing tracks arranged by me, the way we want it. I trigger WAV files from my Sonar VS-100 mixer which sits at my left on the corner of my Motif ES7. I trigger sequences from the Motif. The important thing is to keep the show going.

My new goal is to have one keyboard for the gig where I can organize all different types of files into a set list. I see a Tyros 5 (or whatever they will call it in 2013) of PA3x in my future.

Having everything at my fingertips in front of me, keeps me facing the audience. It makes it easier to transition into the next song through a short, funny story while setting the next song.

Plenty of room for ALL kinds of of musicians... Button pushers... Arranger players... Sequencing guys... Karaoke singers... Guitarists playing to backing tracks... And just people having their own fun with music! Peace!!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#353026 - 10/17/12 09:31 PM Re: Yamaha Audio Backing Tracks [Re: lahawk]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
And I certainly admire your way with words.! Well said.
Wasn't Julliard that lady that cooked on tv?
DonM

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online