SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#352734 - 10/13/12 03:44 AM Computer Help Please
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
My main pc has gone down with a bios problem. The hd seems to be working. I had it backed up on an ext hd, but can't remember what was backed up.

If I buy another pc, can the contents of my old hd be copied over so that my music programs work as before ?

Bernie

#352736 - 10/13/12 04:07 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Bernie9]
Tony Hughes Offline

Yes Bernie as long as you can read the old drive, if you buy a new PC take the old drive out and put it in a caddy and make a new backup of all you need off the drive.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#352737 - 10/13/12 04:52 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Bernie9]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Music programs like the software you had installed?
Those programs will NOT work properly, even if they might open, without a reinstall procedure. When you install the OS (Windows or whatever) the components of the PC create an individual unique environment that all the software programs you install relates to. That is why you can only recover information from the old hardisk, but the software programs will have to be reinstalled on the new drive.
The only software that can work without instalation is the one that does not write to registry or does not add to the OS files. They are very few. Wavosaur (if you use that) is one of them.

#352738 - 10/13/12 05:02 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks guys

I can reclaim stored data, but the programs, by in large, will not boot.

Well, at least I know.
Thanks
Bernie

#352739 - 10/13/12 05:19 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: adimatis]
Tony Hughes Offline

Adimatis,

Is right you will only be able to get off the data, the programs are diiferent, you must have the original disks for the programs.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#352743 - 10/13/12 06:41 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Tony Hughes]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie it is a good time for a nice cup of coffee. (smile)

John C.

#352744 - 10/13/12 06:49 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
HI Bernie

There are other options: I’m assuming you’re using Windows, but before you do, can you explain what the Bios problem is, as it may be fixable.

1. Install your old drive in the new computer , then when it boots up the new OS will recognise it and assign it a drive letter, thus you can leave all your data in situ and just access it whenever you want.

2. Providing the Bios in your new computer has similar HDD settings as your old computer, you can tell it to boot from your old drive, (Make sure you have the driver disc for your new computer in the DVD drive) then when it boots your old OS, everything should be there and the new drivers will install as required.
When the system re-boots you should then be able to use it like your old computer but with better performance. (Note you will need to re-activate the OS by calling Microsoft, however it is a Freephone number (Details will come up on screen, just tell them you have had to change the HDD) and all should be well)

You can switch between the new an old OS by going into the Bios and choosing which HDD to boot from.

NOTE: In most cases the above will work without problems, and hopefully yours will not be one of the few that won’t.

If you’re not sure any decent computer repair shop should be able to do it for you.

Hope this helps

Bill

#352774 - 10/13/12 11:17 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: abacus]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Bill

It is nice of you to respond.

It is a 2009 Dell Inspiron 546 64 bit, Win 7 with a 7200 500GB NCQ serial ATA hard drive.

Upon booting an error screen comes up reporting keyboard failure. In researching this, I find it a common problem with Dells, having to do with the USB controller in the mother board.

I am using one of my laptops now, until I decide which way to go.

#352781 - 10/13/12 12:04 PM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

I tried this trick and it worked

Unplug pc and hold power button in for ten seconds, then power up as usual.

I can't believe it worked. Next time-who knows

Edited by Bernie9 (10/13/12 12:08 PM)

#352794 - 10/14/12 02:30 AM Re: Computer Help Please [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bernie

Glad it’s now working.

It sounds like it was a classic case of the USB port being overloaded and the safety trip cutting in, with the normal way to reset it being to power the computer down and unplug it.

Although the USB socket specification specifies the power output of USB controllers, some manufacture cut it down to the bone or fit over sensitive trips. (Hence you found it to be a common problem with certain Dells)

Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online