SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#352546 - 10/10/12 04:00 PM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The Korg I30 is a great and endearing iconic (meaning "old") arranger, Boo...isn't it steam powered? wink

Seriously, your post makes a lot of sense.

It certainly is the "performer" that is the bottom line...I have seen fine jazz pianists performing on digital pianos that were old technology, and far from top of the line(probably because they couldn't afford better) yet, their music was always something that drew you in, and the piano's sound was totally secondary.

Ian

#352548 - 10/10/12 04:21 PM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I get your point Boo, but you'd have to be pretty slow not to swap that antique for ANY of the modern arrangers. That's like saying computers are nice, but I prefer my adding machine.
DonM

#352549 - 10/10/12 04:53 PM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don,
Before the "pretty slow," you need to add damn poor too!! Try living on $1200 a month SS, no brickwork within a 1000 miles, and owing a $90,000 home equity loan on a house that you bought brand new in 1982 for $50,000.

For some of us, life is not a bed of roses fishing bass all day and golf on alternate days and playing music all night. Also we all can't play country music! If we did maybe you'd be out of work. Ha ha! think about it.

#352551 - 10/10/12 05:23 PM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Boo, the last few months I have been that poor...the mice have left. wink

Then again, my uncle told me one time, "Come on, Ian, things could get worse!"

And, he was right...they got worse. wink

I still think playing music is the best job in the world...someone asked a jazz piano player what he'd do if he won a million dollars in the Lotto...he said, "I'd keep playing till the money ran out." wink

Ian

#352557 - 10/10/12 10:14 PM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, you said you wouldn't swap your I30 for any arranger on the market. You didn't mention money at all. I was about to offer you a good used Casio for that old thing too.
Or you could do what I did, put your wife to work!
smile

DonM

#352572 - 10/11/12 04:22 AM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
I see many people on the forum are going back to korg, when this used to be pretty much a yamaha dominated forum....
Probably because Donny switched to a pa500, or maybe the microarranger was just too tempting not to buy... oh well.
That said, if anyone is interested in a great deal on my korg pa3x (61) let me know, I have a lightweight but hard case (with wheels) for it as well.
Depending on your offer I may throw it in.
message me
shim100 (@) gmail (dot) com

#352580 - 10/11/12 06:16 AM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: brickboo]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: brickboo
It's not the keyboard. It's the "Entertainer," or the "Vocalist" that matters. The audience could care less about which keyboard you use and how many sounds it has. They are all tone-deaf, drunk and or drugged up for the most part anyway.

TBH, from listening to most younger singers (I use the word loosely!) it isn't even the singer that matters! They are tone deaf to not only the gear but the performer too...

But those dance moves had better be good, and the video look pro...

computer

#352602 - 10/11/12 11:20 AM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
124 Offline

So true. That about sums it up, Diki. We all know image is a major part (THE major part?) in this game, and with some of the stunningly low actual talent that 'graces' much of the chart nowadays which, without colossal electronic intervention would sink quicker than the Titanic.

Quick note to anyone getting into the game with a view to a bit of longevity in it: Get yer basics down, i.e., voice, chops. If you can handle that, let the electronic intervention do the rest. If it can make silk purses out of some of the sow's ears currently knocking about, you'll have it made. Oh, and a bit of luck doesn't hurt, either.

#352603 - 10/11/12 11:24 AM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

common dont be nieve its all about MONEY period as always!

#352604 - 10/11/12 11:31 AM Re: Who needs a new Korg [Re: Saswick]
124 Offline

No naievete here, Donny. I've been in this lark as long as you have, so yeah, you can add money to my list above. Cheers!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online