SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#351639 - 09/24/12 12:38 PM Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Don't get too excited! Only received 1 today. I've been playing with it for hours! Love the Audio Styles! Vocal Harmonizer is great! The additional Super Articulation voices are wonderful. When you select a new audio style the word loading comes up for just a fraction of a second and when you turn the keyboard on it takes several seconds longer because it must be loading up the audio styles. I also loaded up a Yamaha middle eastern package which normally takes about 4 to 5 minutes on the PSRA2000 and the PSRS750 but it only took less than a minute to load on the 950.
(Retired 2021)

#351641 - 09/24/12 12:50 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Looking forward to the review!

#351642 - 09/24/12 12:51 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Please put some videos up - you will be the first in the world to do so! Even Yamaha hasn't released videos yet.

#351643 - 09/24/12 01:31 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: chony]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: chony
Please put some videos up - you will be the first in the world to do so! Even Yamaha hasn't released videos yet.

Exactly whats the big secret Yamaha Common!! cool2

#351644 - 09/24/12 01:54 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

I've been playing with the audio styles and they work beautifully when you slow and speed them up. If you push "tempo" for an audio style there will be a "max value" you can speed up to and once you go past this the drum track stops! Anywhere between very slow and this fast speed the style plays beautifully.
(Retired 2021)

#351645 - 09/24/12 02:49 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Sounds good George. Please continue, we all appreciate it.

Are the audio drums in the audio styles noticeably better than the standard style drum kits?

Is the display and all the buttons easily readable from a normal sitting position?

Have you noticed that the on board speakers and sound engine to be more powerful?

Sorry too many questions, I know you'll have a review..just very interested and can't wait to hear more.

Thanks

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#351647 - 09/24/12 03:05 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Are the buttons still rubber?
Deane

#351649 - 09/24/12 03:25 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

A cool thing I just saw was when you enter channel on/off like in older models you see your 8 tracks within the style including the 2 rhythm tracks, and when you push the channel on/off a second time you see just 3 tracks, "rhy1, rhy2 and audio trrack". You can turn each one on or off. With some of the styles you might have the bass drum and closed high hat played by rhy2, percussion on rhy1 and the snare and cymbals on the audio track.

Larry, what I noticed about the audio styles are how Yamaha has been able to create drum tracks that are recorded in different environments and with different mics, etc. The two audio styles in the "pop and rock" section are done with the 1960's live sound highlighted. It's very much just like if you heard songs recorded back then. When you go into the live styles in the R & B section they sound like those "in your face" kit sounds I've been waiting for Yamaha to do for years! The latin and swing and jazz audio styles are top notch and there are a few middle eastern styles that Yamaha has nailed! I wish there were more but in speaking with the product manager for this division today I am sure Yamaha will release more over time.
(Retired 2021)

#351653 - 09/24/12 03:42 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
George those 3 audio track thing sounds really cool. Is it three ADDITIONAL tracks?
Make a video. you'd get tons of views and advertising for your store etc.

Was great speaking to you on the phone. I sent you the email.

Edited by shim (09/24/12 03:47 PM)

#351655 - 09/24/12 05:14 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Deanne,
yes the buttons are still rubber but the main white ones are shaped differently. Instead of being square they are shaped with a down angle making them feel much better.
Shim, I know how to make a video but don't know how to upload here. I've never done it before.
Also Shim, you asked about using superarticulated sounds when recording from scratch and after we got off the phone I took a look at the PSRS910 and can see that you don't even have the choice to select a superarticulated sound there but on the PSRS950 all the superarticulation sounds are available and they do work.
As for using the audio drum tracks when going into the style creator and assembling different sounds on the 8 style tracks I can see you cannot do this. If you select an audio styles drum track you just get a metronome sound instead of the newly choosen style track.
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online