SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#351656 - 09/24/12 05:25 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
George - how good are these Audio drums? are we talking on par with Ketron Audya or are they just on par with Motif XS/XF ?

#351657 - 09/24/12 05:34 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
George, thanks for confirming that the SA voices do indeed work. That's very important to me, as I make my own styles all the time, and the ability to use SA voices in a style is tremendous. Think SA guitars, I know you have mega voices, but it's much easier to use the Super Articulation.

(Side note:)
Sometimes when you select a guitar (regular OR Super Articulation) in style creator, the effects are suddenly lost, this is a known problem from Yamaha. I hope they fix it, but for the meantime, the way around it is: BEFORE going in to style creator, see (in mixing console) which effects are used, make note of it, and then just reapply them when in style creator.
(End of side note)

One more thing, can you try the .wav to multipad feature? The thing where you can play audio files (from the usb) by pressing a multi pad?

To make a video, all you need is a camera and a youtube account, once the video is on your computer (or phone) go to your youtube account, put in the name, tags, etc. for the video and upload. Once its done you can share it with the link.

Let me know if you need more help with that.

#351664 - 09/24/12 07:36 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
I think that a MP3 record of the audio styles will be a more simple request for George.

Thanks George for your input. I think you are the first one to report on the PSR S950.

#351670 - 09/24/12 09:23 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I have already tried the .wav to multipad feature on the PSRS-750 and it works perfectly. I assigned all 4 multipads to 4 .wav songs I have on a usb drive. Once selected I saved this multipad bank in the user area. When I call up another style and with the one touch link light on, the multipads changed. When I then select my user bank it took about 3 seconds for the 4 full length .wav songs to light up and be usable.

To answer the question regarding how good the audio styles are you need to know that unlike the ketron audya styles where all the ones I heard sounded like they were all done in the same studio with the same microphones, the Yamaha was totally different in my opinion. Yamaha choose different mics, different rooms, different ambiance for each audio style. As I mentioned earlier, the pop and rock 60's audio drums sound just like you would have heard on a record recorded back in 1960. The quality of mics, effects, etc. were very different than we had say in the 90's. The drum set used in the Rhythm and blues styles sound very "live" and more contemporary in Yamaha's choice of mics, etc. In the dance styles the drums are a mix of electronic and live and sound very contemporary. The 2 audio styles in the Jazz and Swing styles also show a very live and real brush and cymbal audio loop. To some it up, I think you will find the Yamaha audio styles to be very different from the Audya files. This is not to say one is better but you will have to experience this yourself. My first impression when only hearing the 2 in the pop and rock catagory was mixed. I didn't really understand if the ambiance I was hearing was what I was expecting. I quickly realized that this audio style's drum track was exactly the type of drum track you would have heard in those two 60's tracks. It wasn't until I listened to the Latin styles, the Jazz styles, the R&B styles that I understood what was being presented to me the player. Soon enough you will all get to hear these styles at stores near you I hope and then I will enjoy reading your experience with the 950. Customers in my store today loved it! And all those superarticulation guitars from the tyros4 are really amazing!
(Retired 2021)

#351701 - 09/25/12 06:36 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Good review.
How does 950 sound over PA??

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#351704 - 09/25/12 07:36 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks George. For the first time in many years I'm seriously considering giving up my PSR-3000s. Really looking forward to getting my gnarled, aging fingers on the S950.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#351705 - 09/25/12 08:08 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
Stein67 Offline

George, can you confirm that + and - transpose have their own dedicated buttons easily accessible on the keyboard?

Many thanks.

#351707 - 09/25/12 08:23 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think they are the two lowest left buttons on the upper section of the arranger (not the ones nearest the keybed)

#351713 - 09/25/12 10:50 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: travlin'easy]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks George. For the first time in many years I'm seriously considering giving up my PSR-3000s. Really looking forward to getting my gnarled, aging fingers on the S950.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Me Too! laugh

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#351717 - 09/25/12 03:20 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-950 now at Kaye's Music Scene! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
the dedicated transpose up and down buttons are just above the "break" button on the left side of the keyboard with the tempo buttons just above these buttons.
(Retired 2021)

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online