SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#351435 - 09/20/12 01:02 PM playing outdoors
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

I got a couple of outdoor fall festivals coming up. Here in Texas it’s still usually hot and sunny in September and October and that makes it kind of difficult to play outside with my Tyros 2. The screen is really hard to read in the sun light. Anyone have any good ideas of how to get the glare off the screen? Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#351442 - 09/20/12 01:43 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Buy a kiosk canopy folding...they work well..

#351460 - 09/20/12 08:40 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Positioning makes a big difference,,I just came back from my Gig in Wildwood,NJ..This was an outdoor gig..on the street (Wildwood's massive Car show...}

We were set up...not on the "sunny side of the street"

The sun was to our back and the building behind us sheiled the direct sun...I had no problem seeing the screen on the BK5...

Last week at the Wildwood beach party and Fox park outdoor gigs...we faced the sun directly and it was near impossible to see the screen...

The key is to try and set up so not to be in direct sun...

#351462 - 09/20/12 09:56 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
Tony Hughes Offline

No problemo, we don't get any sun, we can't play outdoors, no contest, mind you we don't get any tornadoes or hurricanes either, I'm glad of that. As they say in the UK, no gain no pain, for every action there is a reaction.

Oh sorry I forgot, Billy Abacus gets all our sunshine.... rotf2 and all the girls, old ones, the strong ale he drinks only make them look younger.

#351464 - 09/20/12 10:17 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Buy a kiosk canopy folding...they work well..

Donny the gadgit man, available from Kaymart, shows us a picture Donny, don't they blow away easy. party

#351466 - 09/20/12 11:21 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary D. made a little cardboard tent for his. He is good at making stuff.
DonM

#351469 - 09/21/12 12:52 AM Re: playing outdoors [Re: DonM]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

We ONLY play outdoors, so I know. Easiest is one of those big foldable garden umbrellas. Don't position directly over you, but rather between you and the sun.

The foldable canopy does not really work for us. The sound from the speakers reflects all over the place & I always have a hard time controlling mike feedback when using it.

You can see exactly what I mean over here

Keep well all my friends,

Henni

#351480 - 09/21/12 07:25 AM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The black, cardboard hood is Velcro'd to the keyboard and surrounds the screen. It looks like a small air scoop for a car and completely shades the display so you can read it. The other problem, however, is the keyboard's button lights, which are low level LEDs - can't see them in the sun. Laptop screens are also a problem, which anyone that his tried to use their laptop outdoors is well aware.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#351498 - 09/21/12 11:09 AM Re: playing outdoors [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The black, cardboard hood is Velcro'd to the keyboard and surrounds the screen. It looks like a small air scoop for a car and completely shades the display so you can read it.

Gary cool

Gary,

You missed your way in life, you should have been an architect, send us a photo, it can go with Nidem's wooden KB, might give Wersi some new ideas... dance2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#351508 - 09/21/12 04:38 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I used Gary's idea (taken from one of his earlier posts) I used regular cardboard and sprayed it black - still works.

#351509 - 09/21/12 04:41 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony,

My next outdoor job will likely be in the Florida Keys, possibly sometime in November or December. I'll try to post some photos then.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#351512 - 09/21/12 06:39 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Tony,

My next outdoor job will likely be in the Florida Keys, possibly sometime in November or December. I'll try to post some photos then.

Cheers,

Gary cool

isn't that your busy gig season here........taking time off ?

#351514 - 09/21/12 07:07 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary has been saying for a while now that he wants to sail to the Keys ... he's 'pulling the plug' on the KB and untying the ropes on the sail boat ... wave

#351515 - 09/21/12 08:12 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

With any kind of luck, the keyboard and gear will be going with me on the boat. And, I just purchased a 400-watt inverter for the boat, which can easily power the keyboard, laptop, etc... I've been planning this trip for more than 4 decades, and I figure if I don't do it now I might not be able to physically make a voyage of this nature a couple years from now.

Donny, winter is busy everywhere - even in the Florida Keys. Winter there is "Snowbird" season, when all those cold yankees head south to where the daytime air temperature and their age is about equal. In reality, I don't have a slow season. I could play 6 to 7 days a week in Maryland, or head south and play as much, or little, as I wish. The big benefit is that I'll be living on the boat, catching dinner when I want to dine on fresh snapper, grouper, lobster, shrimp, yellowfin tuna, blackfin tuna, or any other form of seafood. When I get tired of seafood, I'll be dining at one of the many incredible restaurants in the keys. Yep, they serve steak and chicken down there too.

The boat is ready to go - just have to load some of the essential gear aboard, fill the water and fuel tanks, and hope for cooperative weather. Keep in mind that it's a sailboat - they're not fast. If I wanted fast, I would have bought an airplane. wink It should take me about a month or so to get there, which is just fine with me. I intend to make some stops along the way, see my brother in Palm Coast, Florida, then head for Eddie (btweengigs) Shoemaker's neighborhood, which is about a week-long trip farther south. From Stuart, Florida (Eddies home) it's another week of sailing to reach Marathon Key. I figure on spending a couple months there, then traveling west to the Dry Tortugas, where I plan on spending another week enjoying the fantastic snorkeling.

From the Dry Tortugas, I'll sail east to Key West, then back to Marathon, Jupiter, Palm Coast, Jacksonville, then head offshore about 30 to 50 miles and jump into the Gulf Stream and ride it to Charleston, SC. From Charleston to home will take another two or more weeks, which will put me back at the headwaters of Chesapeake Bay sometime around the first week in April.

Now, all of this might sound like a crazy trip for a 72-year-old codger that has experienced a couple heart attacks, but the way I look at this voyage is you only get one shot in this life and I hope to make the best of what I have left. Below is a photo of the boat - my home away from home, on the water.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#351516 - 09/21/12 08:23 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Sounds great Gary good voyage.....I assume Carol is going along also on this wonderful voyage?....enjoy!!

#351521 - 09/21/12 10:52 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
Tony Hughes Offline

There you go Gary, market the idea and you would have at least one sale "The musician flat pack sun shade " make them in your shed between gigs and sailing, a breeze to you, couldn't you just have one of those umbrellas that sit on you head, just an idea from another entrepreneur.. confused2

#351573 - 09/22/12 08:01 PM Re: playing outdoors [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
The black, cardboard hood is Velcro'd to the keyboard and surrounds the screen. It looks like a small air scoop for a car and completely shades the display so you can read it. The other problem, however, is the keyboard's button lights, which are low level LEDs - can't see them in the sun. Laptop screens are also a problem, which anyone that his tried to use their laptop outdoors is well aware.

Cheers,

Gary cool

I DID THIS EXACT THING 4 YEARS AGO PLAYING 9 TO 1 IN THE MORNING FOR THE FRAMERS MARKET. IT'S STILL NOT GREAT WITH MY I30, BUT IT HELPED A BIT. I PAINTED MY CARDBOARD BLACK TOO. I MADE THE SAME SCOOP TYPE SHAPE AS GARY AND VELCRO-ED IT AROUND THE SCREEN. I WAS EVEN UNDER ONE OF THOSE TENTS I THOUGHT IT DIDN'T DO THAT GREAT FOR THE SCREEN BUT IT KEPT ME IN THE SHADE.

#351584 - 09/23/12 02:17 AM Re: playing outdoors [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
TBH, having a 'songbook' or one song per Performance approach to playing can help a LOT if playing outdoors. If you can't see the LED's too well, at least knowing that if you call up the Performance, everything you need WILL be there ready to go helps your confidence enormously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online