SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#350628 - 09/07/12 01:51 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
BTW, I enjoyed the reference to "strange"...

I figured I could get away with it since you'd probably be the only one that was 'dirty ol' man' enough to get it smile .

Steve, my guitarist, is coming over tomorrow to check out that ROGUE amp. I don't know much about them but it's certainly bare bones. For instance, the MP3 input doesn't go through any pre-amp or effects processing, so that even the 'master volume' doesn't work - only the output level from the MP3 player. Do they all work this way? Anyhoo.....

chas

#350629 - 09/07/12 02:17 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have a few amps with outside device inputs other than just a line out and in. Many don't have much in the way of adjustment capabilities.

Russ

BTW, I'd be honored to be your guitarist if the distance weren't such a factor. You remind me so much of Tommy Johnston, my mentor and B-3 player for over 30 years. He was a police judge who made national news raiding a cock fight.
Wire service picked it up and it was in newspapers world-wide as an example of dumb redneck Kentuckians.

First one on the police bus was his father!

He was feisty, brilliant, and, best of all, didn't neuter me when he found out I was "involved with his middle daughter
(old dummy thought the girl was at our gigs to visit daddy).

Oh, did I say that Tommy was an expert marksman? Doesn't say much about my sense of safety and good judgement, does it.

BTW, do you have a daughter (LOL)!(sister, young aunt, attractive neighbor already drawing SS...ETC.?).

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/07/12 02:25 PM)

#351153 - 09/14/12 08:03 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well, Steve (my guitar player) gave that Rogue Amp quite a workout and gave it a thumbs up.....well maybe not up, how about horizontal. He thought it sounded damned good for $149.99 but wouldn't go so far as to say he'd take it to a gig. Great volume, decent build quality, seemingly good speakers, but perhaps a little weak in the preamplification dept. Too my ears it didn't match up well with the Traynor K4 (which isn't even a guitar amp). Steve thought it had enough bottom to be used as a bass amp (not in a hard rock setting). Very simple controls, only one chanel, two modes - 'clean' and 'distortion' (clean sounds best to me). Has 'stereo chorus' and reverb. Reverb sounds like a classic old spring reverb. Biggest thing to recommend it is the price and the fact that it is more than good enough for rehearsals. I'd buy it again at $149.99; at $299.99 (regular street price), not so sure. Just thought I'd follow up with a report. BTW, that EV mic that DonM alerted us to (another SDOTD), sounds really good (PL58 or something like that).

chas

#351159 - 09/14/12 11:37 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks Chas, for the follow up on that. I sure didn't expect it to be close to the K4 for $149 but for that price it sounds like it is perfect as a rehearsal amp. Just can't beat that price. I really think you were smart to buy it for that.

Although the K4 isn't really a guitar amp there are a number of guitarists using it. While this video is by a rock guitar player rather than a jazz guitar player he still gives a good rundown on why he likes to to use the K4 for guitar.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online