SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#350925 - 09/11/12 09:53 AM Degregated Flash worries me
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
I just read through the Tips and Tricks recently posted and now I may be changing my mind about one of the best sounding arrangers I've heard because of the process for checking if a Flash Rom or Drive is corrupted or degredated.

There is absolutely no way a blind person is going to be able to do all that and go through the Checksumm process without sighted help and my help is not very technical nor is she patient. If this is a possible problem of the Audya, then it's a very big factor on my decision. I'm now wishing I can use the Korgs.

From what I read this could actually be an issue even with the most current OS?

Depending on any other disadvantages and discouragements and unless I'm fully convinced that this is a very rare issue, it looks like I'm going to have to go with a board I really didn't want to move to - the T4 only because there is no other board out there which will be easy for one in my visual capacity to move to. The new Rolands have too many menus without direct access and the Korgs have those darned Touch Screens.

What would cause these problems to occur - improper loading?...problems during saving of new styles or registrations?? or what??? How often does this process have to be done??

This also discourages me from finding a "Used" unit because this may be a problem the user may have and couldn't determine it so was selling it off. I cannot afford a new one at all.

Any additional info is helpful but I am getting frustrated since I've been without a board since I sold off my T3 and I have been patiently waiting for the right Audya to come along that I can scoop up. Well, I may be contacting Frank for a price on the T4.

Christian - hope this doesn't happen on your Audya4...

#351166 - 09/15/12 02:56 AM Re: Degregated Flash worries me [Re: vin5451]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I originally posted those instructions for peace of mind for our users and because the factory require the information before getting R&D involved. In the UK we have had only two instances of corrupt checksums in the past year or so (one from a member of this forum and another from a second hand Audya with a very checkered history). What the test enables us to do is eliminate faults and identify user error.

Here is what happens:
1) Customer contacts us (often frustrated and slightly angry) to complain of fault on his/her Audya - especially after reading some of the negative tosh posted on this forum at times!
2) We ask them to run the tests which normally come back clear (except KetA02 which we expect)
3) That is usually enough to calm them down & the customer becomes open minded to the idea that the the fault may be something they are doing wrong and we can then talk them through the solution.

This procedure has worked really well over here. If you search the forums I doubt you will find many...if any instances of corrupt flash wink

However...there are some things that can cause checksum errors.

Reloading old USB updates or downloading incorrect OS versions (there are warnings on the website) definitely cause problems and should be avoided. Used Audya's, if they have been looked after correctly should be ok, but there is no way of knowing for sure. Simply ask the seller to run the tests for you. if they are a genuine seller they will do it. If they refuse I would be very suspicious of purchasing from them.

Saying that, I understand your problem and can see why this could be a potential issue when choosing a keyboard. You just need to make the choice based on what you will be most comfortable with. Personally, unless your country has very good support I would avoid a used Audya. In the UK we offer a service to those who buy pre-owned Audya's (there is a small charge) where we can arrange collection, re-installation of factory content followed by all updates and redeliver back.

I think Ketron are the easiest arranger to use for partially sighted and blind and we have a number of such customers in the UK.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online