SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#350888 - 09/11/12 12:50 AM Other arrangers now sound thin...
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi all,

Last night I played my Korg PA50SD again for the first time since having the Audya. I have some pretty impressive styles on it that I've found on the inet.

I was wondering how I'm going to find suitable replacements for these styles for my Audya. Well, to my utter amazement NONE of these impressed me anymore. They now sounded thin & incomplete.

I can say this, once used to the Audya I do not think ANY other arranger will do it for you again. I'll go so far as to say: Not EVER again as I sincerely doubt if ANY manufacturer would be able to catch up with Ketron again in this regard.

Keep well all my friends,

Henni

#350890 - 09/11/12 01:25 AM Re: Other arrangers now sound thin... [Re: Henni]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Henni

My personal take on the Audya (Yes, I have tried and played it)

The main problem for me with the Audya is its limited editing capabilities (Particularly on the audio styles), and the lacklustre sound quality of some of the solo voices.

As many users like to make an arranger their own, (Rather than having to use what the manufacture gives them) in this respect the Audya is left wanting compared to most other arrangers.

If you are happy with what the manufacture gives you, then the Audya is a cracking board, however for me, (Personally) the Audya (Like most hardware arrangers) has severely limited capabilities for what I enjoy doing. (That’s the downside of using software for so many years, as even 5 year old software (Or older) leaves all current arrangers completely and totally dead in the water as far as quality of sound goes. (The reason I now play the Wersi is because I can have all my software on-board and use it in the lounge, without cables and boxes all over the place)

The most import thing however is, do you enjoy it? If so, then stick with it and enjoy life, and don’t worry what others think.

Bill

#350894 - 09/11/12 01:51 AM Re: Other arrangers now sound thin... [Re: abacus]
Henni Offline

Hi Bill,

I've found that by adding different Audio drums, different audio bass tracks for each variation, different loops for each variation for channel 4, different audio live guitars for each variation, plus the ability to have my live guitars change on the fly purely by the way I press my chords, attaching different vocal harmonies & settings to each variation provide more than enough AWESOME variation for me, done on the fly & then saved as a single registration that also houses the style.

One simply selects ANY style found, and this forms only the very basis of what can be created. I can take the very same style, change all the above and you will not believe for the life of you that it started off by being the same style. I hardly use any onboard style as is anymore because of the ease I can create all the above with. And I become better at this with every style I change. Best part is, that whilst using this live, I can make more changes on the fly and simply re-save the registration before playing the next song. AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!!

As you know, I've modified & uploaded tens of thousands of styles for the Yamahas. So I'm not new to this at all. However, what I'm currently achieving on the Audya with so little effort is MIND BOGGLING, to say the least. I can post so many examples over here, as I find better ways for playing the same songs with each passing day. However, I do not want to completely take over this forum by posting too many of my own creations. I can do so on a daily basis if I wish.

With the AJAMSONIC upgrade, there are so many extra audio drum & live guitar sections to choose from, that I will not easily be bored again.

No, for me, I do not need any extensive modifications on the styles found both from the factory styles or from the ones found at Create Songstyles. But, you HAVE to have an Audya yourself to experiment with this to appreciate what I'm stating here. (No pun intended whatsoever)

As for me, I am satisfied to the very extreme with the Audya! And after four weeks, I'm still discovering new, exciting stuff with each passing day! No need for any special tools for me, whatsoever. The onboard ones are just AWESOME!!!

Keep well my friend,

Henni

#350895 - 09/11/12 02:26 AM Re: Other arrangers now sound thin... [Re: abacus]
Snoopy Offline

Loc: Northern Germany
"Audio-Styles" are the future.

Even Yamaha uses them in their new 950 / 750 keys.

In the (german) Yamaha-forum there´s also a discussion running about advantages and disadvantages of audio-styles.

The most important disadvantage is the reduced editing-capability. You just can´t reduce volume of hihat and increase volume of snare. That´s the price you have to pay for the very good soundquality.

The worst problem for most "power users" will surely be the fact that they can´t change drumparts / liveguitarparts in a sequencer.

So the companies ( Yamaha, Ketron , Korg a.s.o ) will have to provide them with software that can do it.

Within the last years cubase & co have changed to mor audio than midi-software so it shoult be not that big step for them.

BTW: I don´t understand some people : They buy a keyboard for 4.000 € but are not willing to pay another fewhundred Euros for adequate software.
I know peolpe playing their Tyros4 with a 250 Euro sound-system ( not the Yamaha MRS-system )...

#350896 - 09/11/12 02:37 AM Re: Other arrangers now sound thin... [Re: Snoopy]
Henni Offline

Hi Snoopy,

That's true. But let's look at the alternative. Other arrangers have ONLY midi drums. So power users do not have a problem. Why do they now all of a sudden have a problem with the Audya then? We treat the Audya as if it's audio ONLY...

The Audya have THE SAME & even better midi drums & all other midi parts. On top of this, Sokratis uploaded the outstanding SD series drums which add to the already impressive collection. AJ added another 850 or so extra drum loops and more will follow.

NOTE: one is not FORCED to use audio parts at all. If you want to do some extensive sequencing or style modifications, purely choose a midi only style - there are thousands of those and most of the downloaded ones are purely midi in any case.

So:

1. If you are satisfied, like I am, use the onboard audio stuff which are outstanding!
2. If not, use the onboard midi stuff which are outstanding!

It is really as simple as that. No one looses, not in any way or form.

To sum it all up for the Audya: If you prefer midi, you have some of the best that's available. If you prefer Audio, you have the absolute best there is. So what's the problem then, IF any? The Audya gives you the absolute best of both worlds!!!

For just about every audio style onboard the Audya, the equavalent midi style is also available in purely midi format from the SD, X, MS and Midjay series that Ketron so generously made available as free downloads for the Audya.

Let's give credit where it's due - this Audya is AWESOME indeed!!! Ketron took the best midi there is and added audio to it. They did not take away midi, but added audio to it. BEEG difference!!! YOU STILL HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH worlds!!!

Keep well my friends,

Henni

#350910 - 09/11/12 06:09 AM Re: Other arrangers now sound thin... [Re: Henni]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Snoopy

If manufactures followed the commercial drum loop standards then they would not need to create new software, as Melodyne can already do what they want.

Bill

#351299 - 09/18/12 03:20 AM Re: Other arrangers now sound thin... [Re: abacus]
Henni Offline

Originally Posted By: robinkeyboardmagic
Just to let you know, I have updated my Audya and I think it is now playing superbly. Even before the upgrade, I had more good comments from audience members about the sound than I have had with any other keyboard. People (who aren't musicians and have no idea about different keyboards) are always coming up and asking about the sound and where the drummer is! The upgrade is superb - programs are great and playability is so nice. This is the most enjoyable keyboard I have played - andI think I have tried them all!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online