SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#350288 - 09/03/12 10:33 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
the fact it still uses the same PSR keybed is also a massive CON for me and simply deters me away from even considering this keyboard.

I know I keep going back to this but...The MOX 6 is a cheap lightweight portable synth (much cheaper than PSR S950 AND S750) that has a keybed which is Amazingly better than the PSR keybed. WHY ARE THEY NOT USING THIS KEYBED IN THE PSR LINE MOVING FORWARD???

It is refreshing to see that the new Concert Grand piano from the T3 (almost exact same as T4) has been used... BUT... none of the new real strings, SA 2 Violins, Irish Pipe Air, Choirs, Vintage Basses etc have been carried on... its still not even 100% on par with T3 which by now it should be (S910 was on par with T2 in terms of sound engine except the drums weren't "Live drums")...

Its also time for the TOTL PSR Range to have assignable function buttons and/or faders (Korg PA 500 has this for goodness sakes!!!)

Drum kit editing should be a must these days as well!!!

my 2 cents, Yamaha frustrate me so much !!

-Nick

#350422 - 09/05/12 06:49 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Beakybird Offline

No LAN port for IDC (Internet Direct Connection). Not a big deal - but it does come in handy with Music Finder suggestions.

I'm surprised that after a 3 year wait that they are adding only 5 Mega! voices and no SA2 voices from the T3. No additional DSP blocks ...

I would think that Yamaha would want to create a market for their expansion packs, but I'm definitely not buying more than one if I'm going to have to go through a menu process and restart my keyboard to change expansion packs. Imagine doing that during a performance!

#350449 - 09/05/12 03:43 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Is it confirmed you have to restart the keyboard to load another expansion pack in? I don't think that is all that likely, IMHO.

How long it takes, though, is another matter.

#350454 - 09/05/12 04:01 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Diki]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Is it confirmed you have to restart the keyboard to load another expansion pack in? I don't think that is all that likely, IMHO.

It is confirmed. It's on page 36 of the manual. How long does it take? Does it matter if it takes 30 seconds or 3 minutes? It would ruin a performance. Owning more than one expansion would probably just be of interest to a home player.

It would be so frustrating to own more than one expansion, and to know during a performance that you cannot take advantage of those voices and those styles because it's not loaded on your measly 64mb Expansion slot, and you'd have to turn your keyboard off and on (the keyboard restarts during the process) in order to play them.

Here again are the two quotes from page 36:

This instrument allows you to
install only one Expansion Pack.
Installing an Expansion Pack will
erase all the previously existing
Expansion Pack data in the
instrument. Make sure to keep a
copy of the Expansion Pack data
in a USB flash memory for future
use.

The instrument will be restarted
when installation is completed.
Save all the data currently being
edited beforehand, otherwise
the data will be lost.

Edited by Beakybird (09/05/12 04:07 PM)

#350457 - 09/05/12 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yikes!

It is looking more and more like Yamaha have rushed this feature out unpolished and unfinished, rather than doing what they usually do, and perfect it for the Tyros series and let it trickle down, mature and well-developed a year or so later.

It definitely seems to cry out for the 1-2GB FLASH memory capabilities that the TOTL Yamaha's have, rather than a miserly 64MB, of little value if you are going to fill it up with audio.

64MB of flash memory would have been a great addition to the MOTL and BOTL to store MIDI styles in and have them instantly available, but if it is used up with audio, you are back to square one in needing to load up styles into the PSR like before.

I still think the USB stick loading of .WAV's for Multi-pad use is the cherry on this sundae. You should be able to do some SERIOUS modern loop production with these (most modern music is much more in chunks, without fills anyway) and break free from the time capsule arrangers seem to have got painted into.

Not a good omen, though. Both Yamaha and Ketron seemed to have stumbled, trying to mate audio loops with conventional arrangers. Firstly, it is always a question of CONTENT. 25 styles out of 400+ for the Yamaha (and apparently, an impractical loading procedure for new ones) and not exactly a blistering pace of new styles from Ketron (though FAR more initially, in their defense).

Then virtually closed systems, so next to impossible to make your own (lots of incredibly good drumloop libraries out there) to take up the slack the manufacturer leaves.

Two strikes, and the bases are loaded. Time to bring in a designated hitter!

#350459 - 09/05/12 04:37 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Beakybird
Originally Posted By: Diki

It is confirmed. It's on page 36 of the manual. How long does it take? Does it matter if it takes 30 seconds or 3 minutes? It would ruin a performance. Owning more than one expansion would probably just be of interest to a home player.

It would be so frustrating to own more than one expansion, and to know during a performance that you cannot take advantage of those voices and those styles because it's not loaded on your measly 64mb Expansion slot, and you'd have to turn your keyboard off and on (the keyboard restarts during the process) in order to play them.

Here again are the two quotes from page 36:

This instrument allows you to
install only one Expansion Pack.
Installing an Expansion Pack will
erase all the previously existing
Expansion Pack data in the
instrument. Make sure to keep a
copy of the Expansion Pack data
in a USB flash memory for future
use.

The instrument will be restarted
when installation is completed.
Save all the data currently being
edited beforehand, otherwise
the data will be lost.

hey in their eyes for the "home player" using a "home keyboard" "whats the rush to load?..

#350467 - 09/05/12 05:08 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Dnj]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hey Donny - have you ever looked at the back of your Korg PA 500??

On the model number label it reads "FOR HOME OR OFFICE USE ONLY".... interesting isn't it? smile

Nick

#350471 - 09/05/12 06:02 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Dnj Offline

Yeah Nick......funny how we use these home keyboards in such creative ways eh? LOL

#350473 - 09/05/12 07:12 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I don't care if it is a home keyboard because I only play at home smile

#350475 - 09/05/12 08:56 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Diki]
Beakybird Offline

The 64mb isn't for samples. It's for (I think) stuff like Premium Packs that have additional voices and styles. But instead of being able to get a 2GB Simm and stuff many Premium Packs onto it (they are pricey though) you can only put one at a time on the S950.

I have to say that by creating this limitation, I feel a little dissed and annoyed.

I guess that whenever Yamaha comes out with these middle of the line arrangers they strategize on what to keep out so that people with $$ buy the TOTL model.

I suspect that next year when Yamaha comes out with the T4 replacement, the keyboard will have many more styles with audio drums. It must be labor intensive to only put them on 25 styles.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online