SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#350356 - 09/04/12 01:57 PM Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Another impulse buy (can't turn down a perceived bargin). Ordered this amp on MF's 'stupid deal of the day' for $149.00. It lists for $599.00 and sells everywhere on the 'net for $299.00. My guitar player is in Florida at the moment (so I couldn't ask him) and you have to buy that day. I only bought it to stop him from plugging into my Traynor K4 at rehearsals (I use that to cover my eDrums). I could of asked him to bring his own but I sort of like having everything set up and ready to go. This is the amp:

Rogue SC120R 120W 2x12 Stereo Chorus Guitar Combo Amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifier...uitar-combo-amp

He plays mostly jazz guitar. No rock.

What do you think? Great 'Stupid deal of the day' or was I just the giant 'Sucker of the day'.

chas

#350371 - 09/04/12 03:49 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If it gets him out of your amp, it's the bargain of the decade!

#350387 - 09/04/12 08:33 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
While some Rogue amps can be a bit suspect this one gets some good reviews. For $149 it sounds like a great deal to stop your guitar player plugging into your K4. And a stereo chorus amp will work fine for jazz guitar so I think you made a sound purchase.

Owning a Traynor K4 myself I can understand why he liked plugging into that lol. The K4 is a great all round combo amp.

You made a wise decision to jump on this Chas.

#350443 - 09/05/12 02:19 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey Chas. Rogue is sort of the "Rogue" brand handled by Musicians Friend. I probably wouldn't have bought anything that was from that manufacturer, but, if what you want is a practice amp, it might be fine.

Jazz style generally takes a transistor amp, and that's what you have. I use a JazzKat, which has both transistor power and tube pre-amp.

I've got lots of old amps; some with very low miles, so if you need some music equipment, let me know.

For instance, I have $50.00 in a great 100 watt Yamaha with a 12...one of the best transistor amps I've ever played.

Lots of others, like a Fender M-80 transistor amp-purchaswed for $400.00 new. Probably worth $75.00-played once or twice.

BTW, could you buy some practice equipment and store it in Lexington? I'll send you a "WISH LIST" LOL!

Be well,

Russ

PS. Been overseas. Did you get the email I sent you about the new singer-Lianne Le Havas? SHE'S GREAT!

#350451 - 09/05/12 03:59 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, she IS great (and cute too). I've listened to a lot more of her since your 'talent alert'. I think she'll do well although I'm not sure exactly where her niche is.

As for the amp, it arrives tomorrow. It's heavy but won't be moved so who cares; besides, maybe that's a sign of good build quality. Can't wait to see what my guitarist thinks of it (I want to feel like a hero smile ), and although I've got a 'toy' guitar that I bought from Costco for @ $150.00 (solid body 'rock' guitar - replica of something -telecaster????) that I could plug into it in the meantime, I wouldn't know what I was listening to.

I'm a born sucker. If they make the MSRP high enough ($599.95) and the selling price low enough ($149.95), the money just leaps out of my wallet. I have absolutely no control over it smile .

Be careful with all that overseas traveling. You're no spring chicken anymore smile . Besides, what good is all that money if you've reached an age where 'strange' just means 'weird' smile smile .

chas

#350460 - 09/05/12 04:41 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Chas, my reason for traveling is that I want to be able to make a sizable contribution yet this year to the New Orleans Habitat
project. And I'm involved with a new group in Lexington that runs a music training operation for underprivileged kids. I want to buy guitars, amps, basses, PA, keys, etc. in multiples. I'm going to make it possible for kids to "earn" an instrument. I've already donated a bunch of stuff from the warehouse and give guitar, bass and piano lessons there three afternoons a week.

I'll tell you more about that later.

Liane is GREAT!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (09/05/12 04:43 PM)

#350464 - 09/05/12 04:56 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Chas, my reason for traveling is that I want to be able to make a sizable contribution yet this year to the New Orleans Habitat
project. And I'm involved with a new group in Lexington that runs a music training operation for underprivileged kids. I want to buy guitars, amps, basses, PA, keys, etc. in multiples. I'm going to make it possible for kids to "earn" an instrument. I've already donated a bunch of stuff from the warehouse and give guitar, bass and piano lessons there three afternoons a week.

I'll tell you more about that later.

Liane is GREAT!

R.

Russ ... you continue to amaze ... God bless you ...
And Liane IS very talented ... (yes, and cute chas ) smile

#350516 - 09/06/12 11:29 AM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

I think she's a little doll!

Russ

#350529 - 09/06/12 01:08 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm also a sucker for SDOTD. I've found some great bargains there over the years.
DonM

#350626 - 09/07/12 01:20 PM Re: Russ, Nigel, any other guitar players [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

BTW, I enjoyed the reference to "strange"...at least I can fondly remember those days (BIG SIGH AND S*** EATING GRIN)!

I can just imagine when Leanne gets really hooked on jazz....bound to happen. Hopefully, by then she'll be too rich to give a damn... and can just wail away, living on her pop music generated fortune.

Be well, friend.

Russ

P.S. Now you've got me wondering if there wasn't a 2nd meaning to the term "strange bedfellows"?

Edited by captain Russ (09/07/12 01:22 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online