SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#349774 - 08/27/12 03:29 PM To Don and others down South ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... you guys going to be OK with the hurricane???

#349775 - 08/27/12 03:47 PM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Got a hurricane party scheduled for tonight. Pat O'Brian's hurricane juice, rum, ice and lots of musician friends..!

Sadly for Louisiana (New Orleans still holds a fond place in my heart from having lived there back at the turn of the century confused2 ), what was predicted to make a beeline for my town has shifted over to those possibly less well prepared for it. Hopefully, the billions spent on NOLA's levees will have been worth it.

But there will still be plenty of drama around here as the feeder bands hit us. Just as long as Jim Cantore doesn't visit, we'll be OK!

#349780 - 08/27/12 04:19 PM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Just as long as Jim Cantore doesn't visit, we'll be OK!

Too late ... He MUST be down there already ...

#349781 - 08/27/12 04:23 PM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Got a feeling Jim's heading to La. or Ms.

#349789 - 08/27/12 07:47 PM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
We are 250 miles North of the coast so at most we'll get a little wind and maybe a lot of rain, and a lot of people running from the storm. Actually we NEED more rain, but hate to get it this way.
Thanks for your concern though.
DonM

#349810 - 08/28/12 10:45 AM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Godspeed to my southern friends....hang in there!

#349862 - 08/29/12 07:38 AM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Don...

I hope you can use your influence with the "Man Upstairs" to send a little of that rain (without the attendant winds) our way. The greens here are losing their luscious luster.

Batten down the hatches... it's a good thing ol' Boo lives in Colorado now. He'd be camped out on your doorstep... LOL!

All the best,

Dave Rice

#349864 - 08/29/12 09:12 AM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo is a good friend. We'd let him sleep on the patio beside the golf cart.
We still have no rain, not even cloudy, but the winds are picking up. We should get heavy rain tomorrow, Thursday. Today may be a great day for fishing. I plan to find out!
My back is hurting from all the recent driving, as we took a trip to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, with several side trips as well, so I can't play golf until it gets better.
Looks like New Orleans is getting hammered right now!
DonM

#349910 - 08/29/12 04:55 PM Re: To Don and others down South ... [Re: tony mads usa]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Here comes Isaac. They have had over a foot of rain in some places! Oh my, I feel for the cotton farmers. My dad farmed cotton. There is always a risk that you have a bumper crop and then, a dang hurricane comes and dumps all that rain on you and it really can hurt. I remember this happened just two or three years ago around here. The farmers lost a LOT of money due to the rain pulling the cotton out of the boll and also, degraded the qualify of whatever cotton didn't fall out onto the ground.

This happened to my dad in 1973. He had expanded his acreage to double what he had farmed for many years (because my brother graduated college and joined him) and they had a bumper crop but never got it out. Not only did it rain like crazy in the fall, it kept raining until May! Never seen anything like it. He was so desperate, he even picked (in May) and planted the same month! My dad never recovered from that year and he fought it for 20 more. Farming is very expensive and very risky. Even with irrigated crops these days, you still can't stop a hurricane!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online