Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#349136 - 08/15/12 04:01 AM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: bruno123]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John,
Thanks for your comments - they are appreciated smile

I bought the Korg MA back in March this year, just out of interest and have been experimenting with it over the past 5 months. No matter how I try, I just cannot get comfortable with the OS. I even printed out the full manual, but as Audrey mentioned, like many other user manuals - including Technics - they are badly written and often do not explain fully how to achieve particular operations. A good example of the shortcomings of the KMA system : To load a completely new song set-up from an SD Card on the KN7000 takes as little as 3 or 4 button pushes and the new set-up is ready after a couple of seconds. On the KMA, you virtually have to 'jump through hoops' to achieve the same result......

I realise that every manufacturer has different ideas about how a keyboard should work, but I still maintain that the Technics range - going way back - have always been the most friendly and intuitive operating systems. When moving up through the 'Top of the Range' KNs, the OS remained essentially the same even as new facilities were added to the next model, so the learning curve was fairly minimal.

As far as connecting the KMA via MIDI to my KN7000 to allow the use of the KMA styles and sounds, that is not really of any interest to me. I much prefer to make my own styles in the KN7000, which are suited to a particular song/tune, rather than use the 'stock' 4 measure repeating styles, which get a bit boring after a while. I also frequently 'make' my own sounds as well to suit the song I'm playing, either starting from scratch using the excellent samples in the KN7000, or modifying an existing KN sound. The editing facilities within the KN7000 are just so comprehensive that the sky is the limit !! Trying to do a similar thing in the KMA and the Tyros is a bit of a nightmare.......

So, although I've had a bit of 'Fun' with the KMA - and I use the term loosely smile - I'm afraid it will be for sale in the very near future and I'll use the proceeds to buy something less frustrating - Like a few bottles of fine Malt Whiskey.......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#349161 - 08/15/12 04:07 PM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: Bill Norrie]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Bill - Couldn't have put it better myself.

John - I take it you are assuming I'm having trouble understanding the O.S. if that's the case you couldn't be more wrong. I just think there is too much 'button pushing' to achieve even the smallest result, plus I was under the impression the Tyros keyboards operated much the same as a computer - wrong again. When I copy/cut and paste anything on my computer, it is a faithful copy of the original, pasted anywhere I choose, whereas with the keyboard, you have to make sure it goes to the correct area (styles/regits etc.) and lord help you, if you use a third party style,or even change the icon, sometimes it wont paste at all. With the KN keyboards, you can modify and resave, or give it a new name, and all will be saved in the same Folder it was originally in, complete with the new changes. As you know, it can then be called up either by Folder, Alphabetical or Numerical - no messing about with going into the Songs/Styles/Registrations first before pressing the button that will actually bring up the tune and because of all the 'phuffing' about, I do not get the same pleasure playing my Tyros 4 that I do when playing the KN7000. So! for me, the KN7 is still "THE KING" of the keyboards.

Audrey

#349186 - 08/16/12 04:35 AM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: Bill Norrie]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Bill,
In my excitement to share I forget we are not all going in the same direction. Since my early 20’s I have been playing and entertaining dancing crowds; my search has been for more drive, more drive to add excitement to the dancers I was playing for. My frustration with my Kn7 was because I wanted it to do more – more excitement, heavier drums different livelier styles.

Did I love my Kn7? I had three of them and became capable of getting into every part of the keyboard; it is and still is a fine keyboard.

After reading your reply to my post I fully agree with you. You bought a Tyros and now a KMA showing that you have an open mind. If I were Bill Norrie I would embrace that Kn7 because of your needs and knowledge of that keyboard that few of us have. The Kn7 is a tool and you have accomplished so much with this tool; I hope you have two of them.

I am slowly withdrawing from the entertainment field and the need for more drive is diminishing so my needs are changing. The Korg Pa800 is in in depth tool allowing the user to do so much but very soon so the more and the drive will not remain as my criteria. I will be looking for an instrument I can become one with, possibly an organ or an electric piano with some goodies. Just play for fun and enjoyment.

Take care, John C.

#349188 - 08/16/12 05:34 AM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: bruno123]

Bill sorry but my mind wandered from your post to my personal emotions about keyboards.

The KMA was never made to do what a flagship keyboard can do. It is simple to use when understood, but not good for any in depth creating which is who you are. The manual must have been written someone on another planet; but there so many good people out there and nice tutorials that made the job easy. It is a fun machine and no more. Size, good sound, and good styles but no more.

I said this before; for my type of use the playing and performing, the KMA would be a keeper if I did not own a Pa800. I have been told by people like Rikki who does a lot of programing and at one time owned a Kn7 that the sequencer in the flagship models is easy and offers so much more than other keyboards. She is ready to walk me through whatever I need (A great gal) but my need is performing.

Up to date I have only done easy record. Recording; pads will be my next step. Most of the hype about Korg keyboards is coming from the Pro. Players – not good for everyone needs.
So----- KMA = Fun and is toy-like, no more. If it were not for the size it would have been sold a long time ago.

I betting that the Korg people made this keyboard for a dual purpose; the second reason was to create interest in their flagship models -- and that is what has happened.

Take care, John C.

#349189 - 08/16/12 05:57 AM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: Audrey Turner]

Audrey
“The KN7 is still "THE KING" of the keyboards”. I honor that, it is a great keyboard. My reason for sharing is not discredit the Kn7 in any way but to bring reality to what other keyboards are offering. Not everyone is willing to spend the time to learn a new OS and I do understand that.

My point is that the new keyboards offer so many new options; which many are looking for, but some are. And that the new keyboards have a OS which is easy when understood. It would not be logical to say that Yamaha made a keyboard that is not friendly to use.

The question: Why did I buy a Tyros1 and a tyros 2 and a Tyros 3 and sell every one of them – and then bought another Kn7000. Because I was expecting to use the Tyros in the same manner as I used the Kn7 after a period of six months. No logic in that. I am not sure when the Kn1000 came out but it was a long, long time ago. I have been growing in knowledge and ability in using Technics keyboards since then.

I now own a Korg which is the best for performing (my opinion) but the desire to go back to all the Kn7 has never left me, it is a very special keyboard. The Kn7 is gone because I do not believe I could ever do two keyboards that are so different justice; both would suffer.

As my needs change it would be nice to go home again.

John C.

#349205 - 08/16/12 05:02 PM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: bruno123]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
John,

I hope you don't think I was "getting at you" I was just trying to explain how I feel about the KN7000 in comparison with other keyboards and from your post above, I'm guessing you feel much the same. The Tyros 4 is a great keyboard particularly with regard to ballads and smooches, but for rhythmic dances, I think the the KN7 has the 'edge' on anything else because the rhythms are sharp and clear which are a joy to dance to, unlike some other makes which can sound a bit 'fuzzy' at times, to say the least. That is why I love the KN7 because it makes you want to dance or at least tap your foot to its rhythms.

As you say, we have to look to the future which is exactly why I decided to get the Tyros 4 because it does offer a variety of functions which are not on the KN7 and is particularly good for 'parties/celebration' entertainment. At some of my 'gigs' we've had lots of laughs when using the vocal harmony. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (08/16/12 05:05 PM)

#349655 - 08/24/12 03:17 PM Re: Korg MicroArranger for Sale [Re: Audrey Turner]

Audrey, you and I have hit many topics from different views over the past years and that’s just fine.

We do help make this place a bit more interesting. (smile)

John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online