SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#348471 - 08/06/12 07:27 AM OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Guys:

After being burned by jumping into new technological devices too many times, I'm considering acquiring a tablet... maybe even an iPad but I need to know more about apps. I've always assumed they are just programs but are they? How do they work differently from PC programs? What do they cost or how are they acquired if not already installed on the device when purchased. Do some of them have monthly charges or does one have to subscribe to a service and at what cost?

In essence, I'm not ready to begin throwing money into a "black hole" in order to claim I have the latest gadget.

Finally, as a songwriter, how would one of these things help me be more creative? What music oriented apps are available and at what cost?

Thanks for unbiased answers. I'm only trying to approach this like I would a business asset acquisition.

I almost forgot, I don't use a cell phone and would not be keen on having that ability with a tablet unless it happens to be totally free.

Regards,

Dave Rice

#348473 - 08/06/12 09:03 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Tony Hughes Offline

Dave,

What do you want the PC for... if reading music look here, these are all coming down in price...

I wouldn't buy a Ipad for reading music much too small you need A4 size screen

#348476 - 08/06/12 09:30 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Rice, I am experimenting with an Android tablet currently. So far I have not replaced my laptop with it, but I really haven't spent that much time with it.
I bought a program called Quick Office for a few dollars that is an excellent word processor/office suite. It's easy to display lyrics, pdfs, etc. I think the search functions are more limited than a PC.
I don't regret buying it at all, because it's great for surfing the internet while I'm watching TV. There are many free apps for it.
One big advantage of an android is that it can use USB storage, where Ipads can't. Also, you are not tied to Itunes.
DonM

#348489 - 08/06/12 10:15 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Dave,

What do you want the PC for... if reading music look here, these are all coming down in price...

I wouldn't buy a Ipad for reading music much too small you need A4 size screen

Obviously Tony you are someone who has NOT used an Apple Retina display - let me tell you the clarity on the iPad far, FAR exceeds even the best laptop, obviating the need for a 12" (cumbersome on stage) laptop or tablet. And although a marginally less at 10.4" compared to the 12" (what's that, maybe 1.6" difference - about .28" less on each side) this is so NOT noticeable with the iPad screen running right to the edges.

I have compared a laptop and Android side by side...and even the best Android is not even close to the Retina display on the iPad 3 (even the iPad 2 is better in my view)....

And with the price of the iPad 3 now so competitive, for me, it's a no-brainer as the yanks like to say

#348492 - 08/06/12 11:02 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

For me laptops rule

#348495 - 08/06/12 11:07 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
For me laptops rule

We must be going blind Donny, I don't care how clear that new Ipad is it ain't big enough for me, unless it stuck on my nose. It would be interesting to find out how many folks on SZ read music off an Ipad, and I mean read full sheets of music big dots and little dots.

Tony

PS ...ASUS now make a 15" All IN ONE PC the will fit on your music rack, full PC power, not all this apple crap software they make you eat, it is only £295.00 windows based you can use anyones software, I don't like being held to ransome, and no one knows what happens when the Ipad battery goes, the trash can.

#348498 - 08/06/12 11:15 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I love my iPad, wouldn't be without it, nor would I be without my Mac Book Pro. I use the iPad for specific functions and the MacBook pro with bootcamp running with Windows 7 for more intense computer stuff. Each serves their own purpose. For lead sheets the iPad using unReal book is the so called "goose that laid the golden egg". I also stopped paper subscriptions of both magazines and newspapers, they are great to read in digital form on the iPad. If I wanted to do more intense work with photos I take I'd rather work with them on the Mac Book Pro versus the iPad, even though they are plenty of photography apps that work very well on the iPad.

#348499 - 08/06/12 11:16 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Dnj
For me laptops rule

We must be going blind Donny, I don't care how clear that new Ipad is it ain't big enough for me, unless it stuck on my nose. It would be interesting to find out how many folks on SZ read music off an Ipad, and I mean read full sheets of music big dots and little dots.

Tony

Well Tony as you do seem to like aphorisms
"...there are none so blind..."

#348500 - 08/06/12 11:18 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: miden]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

We will some be out numbered the troops are coming...Specsavers for me in the morning...I have just sussed it, I've been looking at the Ipad upside down... rotf2 Big is big

#348502 - 08/06/12 11:24 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would imagine that many of SZ's readers are using Fakebook style charts, rather than full score. The smaller size isn't much of a disadvantage there.

But bottom line is, do you really want to go out on a professional show, and have a huge laptop or MusicpadPro perched in front of you, so you can read off of full charts, or do you want to LEARN the songs at home, and go out and do them without the charts, or at most either read some trigger lyrics (short phrases to 'trigger' your memory into remembering the full line) from your arranger's display, if it can do lyrics..?

What looks best to your audience?

But if you are doing this at home, a laptop or computer display is just fine. And you aren't limiting yourself to tablet apps and limited capabilities.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online