SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#348422 - 08/05/12 12:59 PM Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have read that a lot of players prefer Korg over Yamaha because Korgs styles are more "live" sounding. When comparing my KMA to my Tyros 2, I notice a big difference in the bass Paterns. Yamaha bass patterns seem have no variations while Korg bass lines seem to have little fill ins at the end of phrases. On walking bass lines on the Korg I hear sort of random accented notes which gives a better overall swing. Anyways I've come to prefer the Korg style sound when it comes to bass patterns. Has anyone else noticed this?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#348423 - 08/05/12 02:32 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: montunoman]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes that's one of the many reasons I changed from Yamaha to Korg. Korg has the best styles from all arrangers. Well that's my opinion smile

#348431 - 08/05/12 03:34 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: montunoman]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Why don’t you get yourself a set of Bass pedals and play your own bass, that way you don’t have to put up with the repetitive bass lines that styles supply.

Just a thought

Bill

#348432 - 08/05/12 03:34 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: FransN]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
Yes that's one of the many reasons I changed from Yamaha to Korg. Korg has the best styles from all arrangers. Well that's my opinion smile

I agree Fran Korg styles are far more advanced especially the bass lines reation with the chords played. At this time I could never go back to Yamaha.....for me regarding arranger Kbs....Korg is Top of the heap in so many ways.......

#348434 - 08/05/12 03:47 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Some of my favorite "go to" styles are converted Korg styles.....but tell me, why does Korg have great production in style writing, and ruin it by changing the bass player and drummer within the same style via variations.. shocked

I hate when a nice upright bass turns into a electric bass.I have never worked with a quick change bass player. grin

#348435 - 08/05/12 04:19 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Fran..That's no prob at all to change basses within a style .....most korg styles react with 1&3 ..or 2&4...variations.........btw thanx for calling me back...

Edited by Dnj (08/05/12 04:48 PM)

#348436 - 08/05/12 04:32 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul,

If you need some converted Korg styles, let me know and I'll be more than happy to email them to you. Like Fran, I have some go-to styles that I use for specific songs and they really sound great. It all depends upon the song.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#348440 - 08/05/12 05:20 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: Dnj]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: FransN

I agree Fran Korg styles are far more advanced especially the bass lines reation with the chords played. At this time I could never go back to Yamaha.....for me regarding arranger Kbs....Korg is Top of the heap in so many ways.......

Same here. I would never go back to Yamaha arrangers. Maby a Roland BK-5 as a second kb but still not sure.

#348446 - 08/05/12 07:04 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: montunoman]
124 Offline

Another plus with Korg basslines is that they're not the same pattern in both major and minor keys, or from variation to variation. And I'm not just talking about the obvious flattened third involved. I also like the easy adjustment of bass turnaround points.

Also, if your Korg has a style called Bebop1, variation four provides four bar drum breaks (four different ones), so you can trade fours between your lead voice and the drummer. Very jazz, very cool.

#348452 - 08/05/12 07:17 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha- Bass Paterns [Re: abacus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: abacus
Why don’t you get yourself a set of Bass pedals and play your own bass, that way you don’t have to put up with the repetitive bass lines that styles supply.

Just a thought

Bill

Believe me, I thought about that but I think it's going to have to wait for my next life.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online