SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37284 - 11/02/10 08:46 AM Solton MS40 Freezes Up
sglynn Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My Ketron/Solton MS40 freezes up. Sometimes it won't progress past the start page, sometimes it just stops making sound but the lights are on. In past I've opened it and gentle pushed on the chips and it starts working again, but now it freezes more frequently. Big problem for playing for people. Just before it freezes I do hear a slight tic or snap like static. Sometimes it appears related to the Registration buttons. Sometimes it appears related to plugging or unplugging a speaker or amp.

I feel like it is a grounding problem. I'm using a Furman power strip and grounded shielded wires to speakers.
Or maybe it's dirty chips.
Do you recognize this issue and have a fix?

Your efforts replying with ideas are much appreciated.

------------------

#37285 - 11/02/10 10:36 AM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey !
Try a Electronic & Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray, take out all the connectors, put a little spray on and reconnect the wires.
Also , it's very possible to have a "cold" soldering problem, it means some one or some components are getting loose..you should try to re-sold all the components..it takes a lot of time but it's working sometime.
Vio

Hope it h

#37286 - 11/04/10 01:41 PM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up
viocaia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by viocaia:
Hey !
Try a Electronic & Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray, take out all the connectors, put a little spray on and reconnect the wires.
Also , it's very possible to have a "cold" soldering problem, it means some one or some components are getting loose..you should try to re-sold all the components..it takes a lot of time but it's working sometime.
Vio

Hope it helps

#37287 - 11/05/10 01:28 PM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up
sglynn Offline

Okay, I bought an IC puller and contact cleaner. I pulled all the big chips off and cleaned them with a tooth brush and the cleaner. I couldn't remove two small chips hidden on the back lip without removing other parts that I didn't want to remove.

Also, note, becareful . . . I bent the pins on the first chip I pulled because the puller looks like it should grab at the corners but it does NOT. The angles on the puller are for centering the puller on the end of the chip. I was able to staighten the pins.

Also, in case anyone else does this, SAVE YOUR DATA and Programs fist because removing the chips does a re-initialization all user customizations are lost. Fortunately I did save an reload my data.

I put it all back together. It works.

And it seems more stable. No noie when I push registration buttons. And it hasn't frozen since.

But I need a longer period of time and I need to try an extension cord (chord) before I declare full victory.

thanks

#37288 - 11/05/10 01:44 PM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up
viocaia Offline

Hey!
Good job! but don't forget the connectors...anything between boards..there is also possibility for loose contacts.You may use the spray for the connectors to HDD and Floppy,even to display...
Good luck!
Vio

#37289 - 11/06/10 03:06 AM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up
Sandi Offline

Hy sglynn!
I was in the same problem with my Ms50 and Sd1.
Did you put out the ram card and cleaned with a spray then put it back.This is very important.
If you play on gigs you need a good suport for the keybord(X-sistem) becouse some of the suport for keyboard are very nice for looking but the keybord shake to much when playing.
If you don't have try some keyboard support in X style.
This is the main reason why they freeze.

#348383 - 08/04/12 10:08 PM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up [Re: sglynn]
sglynn Offline

Nope, my MS40 still freezes up on start up sometimes. I did all the cleaning, bought a support table and yet today it froze. MY MW40 is just too un-reliable for live gigs. Darn because it sounds so good to. Anybody want to buy it?

#348393 - 08/05/12 03:08 AM Re: Solton MS40 Freezes Up [Re: sglynn]
Ketron User Offline

Hello,

This is usually the result of bad contacts on the flash-Memory-Board.
When you open up the MS40, you will see a little Flash-Board attached on the Motherboard. Simply remove the Flash-Board, and attach it again some times to clean the contacts.
Be aware : NEVER use contact-sprays to clean, as this attract durt after somewhile, making the problem worse.

Hope this helps to solve the problem.

Regards,

Carlo

Edited by Ketron User (08/05/12 03:10 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online