SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#348067 - 07/30/12 04:25 PM Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Fellow SZ Greeting Members!
I’m in the market for a new second keyboard and these are the two that are in my budget. I ruled out any Yamaha PSR because I already have a Tyros 2 and I’d like to get away from the Yamaha sound. I’m real picky about authenticity of Latin styles. I don’t need those watered down ballroom dance Latin styles- I need the real deal. Besides Latin I do a bit of everything else- Big Band Swing, Oldies Rock/R&B, C&W, and modern dance stuff.
I’m leaning towards the Roland because it seems to have some decent contemporary Latin styles already on board. I have the Korg Micro Arranger and I love the small footprint/ light weight factor and the Latin styles that Manuel Durantes produced are very good but the KMA has been a PITA for me to get used to (I’m talking about the OS) so I’m a bit concerned if I could deal with a Korg PA 500. I have no experience with the Roland OS so maybe it would be just as complicated for me. I feel quite comfortable with my Tyros 2 OS and I know a new PSR will be out soon but I feel Yamaha lacks authenticity in the Latin style area and I don’t foresee that changing frown

Any thoughts- BK5 or PA 500?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#348072 - 07/30/12 04:56 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Well, you have to try out both, from what I read the ROLAND got good reviews on the Latin, and Korg has made available a free set of Mexican/South American Styles for the Pa500, Pa588, Pa800 and Pa2XPro Professional Arranger keyboards, I haven't heard the Roland although they tend to sound a little more muffled to me were as I heard the PA500 and it sounds really good. That's just my opinion, and like I said you have to try them both and see what fits for you.

Good Luck!
they are both good keyboards.

#348074 - 07/30/12 05:19 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

+1.....Korg Pa500

#348076 - 07/30/12 05:31 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
Jose Pereira Offline

Loc: Funchal Portugal
Hi Montunoman
I like you, searching for the "Latin Arranger" too.
I purchased a BK-5 and returned almost inmediatelly: The sounds wasn´t bad at all and some styles were great, but the latin styles aren´t that good at all. The other thing is, this keyboard is so light (keys and weight) that I almost feel I was broken it in the next chord (I´m a classical trained pianist, heavy hands here...).
I used to have a Tyros2 too, a big toy, literally!! (a toy I mean).
My friend, is just my point of view, but I suggest you try those keyboards for yourself.
Good Luck!!
Jo Martins

#348080 - 07/30/12 06:20 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No one should make a decision or refer a choice without experiencing the models mentioned..

A style is just a style, any style from any library can be used on either model..

Personally, I would add up the pluses and minuses of each model..then make a decision..on my own..

PS: I would like to add a comment...I have owned the PA800 the top model of the speaker Korgs....and currently own the BK5....
I believe an important element of latin styles, would be the drums and percussion instruments....I have found the drums on the modest priced BK5 to be the best..this side of the Audya...

Edited by Fran Carango (07/30/12 06:31 PM)

#348087 - 07/31/12 03:14 AM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I doubt, if the KMA OS is such a PITA, that the PA500's is going to be significantly different...

But it all boils down to the styles. The worst arranger in the world, if it were the ONLY one that had the sort of styles you want, would have to be your natural choice. Porting a bunch of styles over from another manufacturer to whatever you get is going to be hit and miss at best, and a major endeavor on top. Not to mention, Latin ones are usually the hardest ones to port, as inconsistent as each manufacturer's Latin Percussion drum sections are.

The trouble is that Latin styles have such an utterly different meaning in different countries... Do you want Mexican Latin, Cuban Latin, Brazilian Latin, Central American Latin? All quite different, often with the same names.

As always, it boils down to the styles. Is ANYONE making exactly what you want?

#348108 - 07/31/12 07:31 AM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Still don't understand why people have problems with the OS of Korg keyboards but if you have trouble with the OS of the KMA you will have trouble with the OS of the PA500. For easy to use go for the BK-5. A little to easy IMO

#348123 - 07/31/12 12:07 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: FransN]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada

It all depends how you want to use the arranger.

Pa500 is a great keyboard.I used to have pa800 and loved it.

If we are talking styles,than BK5 is much better than pa500.Especially if you download missing once that are on bk7m and e80/g70.They sound great on bk5.
I only wish bk5 didn't have speakers.They are really bad.You should try both keyboards on your PA system.That's is where bk5 shines.It sounds as good as "the big guys".

But it's up to you.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#348141 - 07/31/12 02:50 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Yes a side by side comparison would be ideal but it just isn't a reality out here...

#348142 - 07/31/12 02:59 PM Re: Roland BK5 vs Korg PA 500 [Re: Diki]
montunoman Offline

[quote=Diki]I
. Is ANYONE making exactly what you want? [/quote

Sadly no. Ketron makes great salsa and merengue however their regional Mexican styles lack. Korg and Roland have some good Mexican styles. I only heard a good modern bachata style coming from Roland and it seems nobody has produced top notch regaeton styles even though it's been the hottest style on the Latin charts for years now.

I know I'd have much better luck working with karaoke tracks but that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online