SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#347562 - 07/22/12 10:58 PM What moved you to pick up an instrument?
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I'd like to hear some stories about what motivated some to start playing an instrument, and when in your life it first happened.
I started around 6 or 7 watching my Dad and his cousin playing mandolin and guitar at our house when the family got together. "It" grabbed me then, stirring my emotions beyond just wanting to listen. I started with the mandolin first, then guitar. At 8 I added accordion and later keyboards and all the equipment. I found myself playing along with records, not just listening to them. My Dad took me to a social club he belonged to when his favorite band was playing on my 10th birthday. Watching them inspired me to continue to pursue music and to have a band of my own someday. I recently played an event in the outdoor grove of that same club some 40+ years later with my band. About 1,700 people attended-including my now 86 year old Dad ,on Father's Day. It was a great way to say thank you to him for getting me started...

#347840 - 07/26/12 09:00 AM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: sparky589]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My favorite uncle would sleep from 5:00 PM (after work) until about midnight; then get up, go to a little prehistoric "man cave" behind the house, make a pot of coffee and proceed to play guitar all night. I wanted him to teach me. I was 7 at the time. We lived in Michigan at the time and came back to Kentucky several times a year to visit.

He kept telling me I was too young, so I decided that I would somehow learn to play better than him and show him up on my next visit.

About 6 months later, I stomped into his little building, picked up the guitar and played the Chet Atkins tune, Trombone. Put the guitar down and walked out of the room.

By 11 I was playing Les Paul and Mary Ford tunes at an officers club in Fairbanks, Alaska. They were HARD to play. It was years after that I learned that he used the echoplex he invented and slowed the tape down during the recording. Then, on mixdown, he sped the tape up to correct speed/key.

That was 56 years ago, and I'm still "pickin and grinnin".

Thanks for the memories!

Russ

#348378 - 08/04/12 07:21 PM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ, I can see you being proud with your background in music – why not I would be. You and the instrument are one, that’s nice.

I was asked which instrument do I like to play mostly; the keyboard for a crowd and dancing. But the guitar is my favorite instrument -- I feel the notes under my fingers – I can express myself so much better; the metronome (keyboard) is turned so I can give what’s in me.

The first time I played with a keyboard I realized that it does not get excited. It gets louder and softer but not excited. It holds the beat firm and does not get excited – and no matter how you change the instruments and EQ it does not get excited because it has no heart. It’s a good idea for me not to post this on the arranger forum they would never understand.

Life is good, John C.

#348486 - 08/06/12 09:48 AM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I understand completely, John. You and I really ARE on the same page often.

BE WELL!

Russ

#348574 - 08/06/12 09:48 PM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I gotta agree John. A guitar is a wooden instrument with vibrating steel strings that comes to life in my hands. It will always be my favorite.

Though there are keyboards that give me a similar sort of excitement such as the Fender Rhodes and Hohner Clavinet that have physical sound mechanisms that react to playing style.

Though I have found that tubes can really add an exciting edge to digital keyboards. I am using a Traynor K4 keyboard amp that has a selectable input with an AX7 tube that can add a nice edge to a digital patch at times. Of course I am not doing this in a OMB situation so don't need to worry about a little tube distortion messing up the backing tracks.

#348614 - 08/07/12 08:07 AM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: sparky589]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Nigel, O.T. but I think the Traynor K4 is one of the best kept secrets around. I think only you and I have them although I think Fran used to own one (which is how I got mine, on his recommendation). In addition to being a great small venue keyboard amp, it sounds pretty darn good with guitar. My guitarist has stopped bringing his amp over for rehearsals anymore and uses my K4. It also makes a dynamite in-your-face floor monitor. I used to use it (for organ) with two 8" powered speakers from the line out of the K4, but have since replaced that configuration with first a Motionsound Pro 45 and then a Leslie 3300. I now just use it for my electronic drum kit which it covers very well.

That 'special' feeling you get from a 'physical sound mechanism' I also get from a B3, but I think it's the expression pedal that does it. It lets you 'scream' or 'whisper' in a very natural way and although you can use it on any keyboard, it just seems to work better on a B3. Hmmmm, O.T. at The Bar; can't get more O.T. than that. Only on SZ smile smile .

chas

#348658 - 08/07/12 06:17 PM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: sparky589]
124 Offline

Yeah, Chas, but how did you get started?

#348662 - 08/07/12 07:14 PM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: 124]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Yeah, Chas, but how did you get started?

Oh yeah, that.

Don't remember, I was only 6 months old.

smile

chas

#348672 - 08/07/12 11:07 PM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yep you are right Chas. The K4 really is a versatile amplifier. And yes it was Fran who had one because that is what started me off looking at it originally. And I do love that tube preamp.

Because I play keyboard/guitar in the band I play in, though I have a separate tube guitar amp it is nice to know that if it had any problem on stage I could easily use the K4 to play guitar through.

And yes, the B3 is another instrument that has a great physical sound and feel to play with. I think most electro/mechanical instruments have a character that even the best digital emulations can't really capture exactly. They just don't respond to the touch exactly the same and while they probably sound convincing to the listener a performer plays with more inspiration on the real thing.

And I totally understand why you have changed over to a Leslie for organ. Like the magic of an electro/mechanical instrument a Leslie has that same electro/mechanical magic ... it is the ultimate amp for organ.

#349157 - 08/15/12 01:37 PM Re: What moved you to pick up an instrument? [Re: Nigel]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
But Nigel- how did you get started? What moved you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online