SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#347047 - 07/16/12 06:40 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, I found out a long time ago, that balance is important when it comes to music...making music and a living making music...

When making as much money as possible in the music making business, and it becomes your priority...you can be sure you went over the balance...Your enjoyment will drop like a weighted keyboard...

We sometimes feel we should never pass on a gig...50 plus gigs a month...will burn you out and change the reason you play music....the benefits of music, should never be the monetary gain...

If I was concerned about making money...I have other business interest...if I chose to do so...that would return 10 fold what I make in music..

If I am in a music relationship, band duo etc, and I am not happy with how things are going...musically or personally...I would change the situation...playing for the money will never be my determining factor...Happiness and fulfillment..are the reason I like music....otherwise, my family life would come first..always..

Hanging on the lake at nights..sounds good to me and seems to be the right choice for you for now...

#347055 - 07/16/12 07:56 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran ... look at it this way ... lugging the G70 and the cube around will keep you fit and strong and you won't have to spend money to join a gym ... juggle

How much time it takes to set up/break down is only important if you have something worthwhile to do otherwise ...

#347058 - 07/16/12 08:06 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I found out a long time ago, that balance is important when it comes to music...making music and a living making music...

....the benefits of music, should never be the monetary gain...

Yep, I agree, and burnout is very possible doing the same type of gigs for a long time. Plus, doing what you love, is not work, and, generally you end up making more benefits, many of them not monetary.

My philosophy is that one should never focus that much time on making a good living, that one neglects making a good life.

Ian

#347061 - 07/16/12 08:30 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

That's a great philosophy, a great viewpoint overall, Ian.

Music, as much as it's central to our whole, has, after all, to be recognised as a single component and, as Fran says, balance is important.

It is those who lose that balance who run into problems in other areas of their lives. It's essential to find the working/gigging 'comfort zone' and stay within it.

#347063 - 07/16/12 08:45 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Bottom line it's a freakin job!!like any other, you either love it or you hate it but you have to do it or starve,.....you go to work to support you & your family and get paid....period!....philosophy?...yeah right!

Edited by Dnj (07/16/12 08:46 AM)

#347065 - 07/16/12 08:59 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Bottom line it's a freakin job!!like any other, you either love it or you hate it but you have to do it or starve,.....you go to work to support you & your family and get paid....period!....philosophy?...yeah right!

Donny, you are so....wrong.. smile

Of course you can make it a "job"...that is our point...why make it just a job....if you do...you will never be happy..

#347067 - 07/16/12 09:20 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
... breathe, Donny .... just breathe .......

#347069 - 07/16/12 09:36 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

????????.........who said I dont love MY JOB??

#347072 - 07/16/12 09:54 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny make some more CDs and send me one eh! We all love ya man.

Want some of my Ativan. I'll give ya 1 or 2 Ativan for a CD.

Someone told me that these things go for $10-$20 each on the street. I can't understand why. They have nothing to do with getting high. They kill the stress and relax you. Shoots, now I'm taking afternoon naps when I'm not doing gigs for the Old Folks.

I'm never gonna make money here anyway. Anything that doesn't go twang coming out of any instrument around here is considered Jazz by the cowpokes in Colorado. Ha ha!

#347090 - 07/16/12 11:59 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, I understand. I still use an 80 lb Solton MS 60 on short jobs. Heavy as hell! I like the sound and the on-board speakers.

I also use a 2nd keyboard on my right hand or over the Solton (or SD-5, sometimes). I take a guitar, guitar amplifier, at least two speakers and a powered monitor on EVERY job now.

The mini Korg is nice, but I'm not sure I will ever use it by itself.

that said, if I play an hour, it takes me an hour to set up and tear down.

I can see the temptation to go lighter and smaller, especially if you do 500 jobs a year. I do 250 or so, and plan to continue to use what I'm using for the near future.

It helps that I have a son and another factory worker who are available to haul and help hook up.

R.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online