SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#347022 - 07/15/12 02:19 PM Thinking out loud...again
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sometimes we just "think" too much...I have a couple observations..and need to hear other folk's thoughts..on the subject..

This lightening the load..for senior type jobs...does it make sense or not?

I have started back to doing these senior jobs after a 10 plus year break...

I have listened to everyone telling me the smaller lighter gear is the way....I am thinking...maybe not the best way for me....

Example: I am doing new places I have never worked before..and don't know the rooms..so I carry a small sound system and a larger system .."Just in case"...

I am using the BK5 for compact and light as my peers have suggested smile..but I need to bring a sound system with mic and effects or a mixer with the larger sound system....and still give up the harmonizer and a zillion other better advantages , if I just used the G70 and a single Cube amp..

The strenght of the BK5..is the ability to play MP3/wav files...and it does it well....but I don't use MP3's on senior gigs.. smile

With the band, the BK5 is super, handles everything that the band needs..but, the G70 and laptop pleases me more...much more grin

I have the CrabTrap coming up in Aug and Sept...I purchased the BK5 specifically for this venue....and it will work great...I usually use the MediaStation and leave it on stage....(nobody will steal it..it is too heavy) wink

If I think like someone in their 60's ..it makes sense to do as little physical effort as possible ..but when your mind and body tell you you are like in your 40's.. grin..it is no big deal....I am using a Rock n Roller to haul in and out anyway....the only physical effort is lifting in and out of 4 wheel drive SUV (useless vehicle) ..but that's another story...

Any comments?

#347023 - 07/15/12 04:08 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Those young ladies of yours look pretty strong and healthy to me; maybe they could do double duty as roadies. OTOH, they might not fit in too well on the senior circuit (although YOU would smile ).

chas

#347025 - 07/15/12 04:13 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

What is this a BK5 commercial? just bring the laptop and a stool thats all you need at the crab trap.....if you played with the keyboard off there they say its too loud... rotfl

Edited by Dnj (07/15/12 04:14 PM)

#347030 - 07/15/12 04:41 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
What is this a BK5 commercial? just bring the laptop and a stool thats all you need at the crab trap.....if you played with the keyboard off there they say its too loud... rotfl

Donny...haven't you been reading my posts?

I don't need a stool..I am a stander.. smile...and I need a keyboard on stage to plug in my pedals grin

#347033 - 07/15/12 05:59 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Señor Carango, I suggest that you don’t think so much in terms of heavy vs. lightweight gear. Think more in term of efficiency. In other words you should want a rig that you can set up and tear down quickly. Forget about laptops, vocal processor units, extra pedals and other stuff that you have to plug in. I think an important part of these types of gigs besides playing/singing great old tunes is to somehow be socially engaged with your audience. That’s hard to do when you’re busy setting up/tearing down. Try to keep that to a minimum. If I had your gear (and I wish I did!) this is what I’d bring:

Roland BK 5. The mp3 player will be GREAT when you’re setting up. I try to get to my gigs early. The thing is once the old folks see me come in they all start heading for the rec room. It sure would be nice to have some nice background music on while they are waiting around.

Roland BA 330. Just plug your keyboard and your mic and your ready to go. No need for a mixer or vocal processor. It already has good reverb. What else do you need?
Keyboard stand with a attached mic stand (something like Uncle Dave uses)

There you have it- a keyboard, speaker, KB stand with a mic stand, a mic, a mic cable, and KB cable. Hopefully you don’t have to read charts like me but if you do the BK5 has a music rest which you can put your book or ipad on.
Keep it simple and welcome back to the senior circuit.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#347034 - 07/15/12 06:25 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: montunoman]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Señor Carango, I suggest that you don’t think so much in terms of heavy vs. lightweight gear. Think more in term of efficiency. In other words you should want a rig that you can set up and tear down quickly. Forget about laptops, vocal processor units, extra pedals and other stuff that you have to plug in. I think an important part of these types of gigs besides playing/singing great old tunes is to somehow be socially engaged with your audience. That’s hard to do when you’re busy setting up/tearing down. Try to keep that to a minimum. If I had your gear (and I wish I did!) this is what I’d bring:

Roland BK 5. The mp3 player will be GREAT when you’re setting up. I try to get to my gigs early. The thing is once the old folks see me come in they all start heading for the rec room. It sure would be nice to have some nice background music on while they are waiting around.

Roland BA 330. Just plug your keyboard and your mic and your ready to go. No need for a mixer or vocal processor. It already has good reverb. What else do you need?
Keyboard stand with a attached mic stand (something like Uncle Dave uses)

There you have it- a keyboard, speaker, KB stand with a mic stand, a mic, a mic cable, and KB cable. Hopefully you don’t have to read charts like me but if you do the BK5 has a music rest which you can put your book or ipad on.
Keep it simple and welcome back to the senior circuit.

That was my exact intention..your proposed set up...and that is exactly what I used today..without a single problem smile

Knowing this room now...I know the BA330 and BK5 can do the job....but I did not know earlier, so I packed up a Roland Cube in case I needed more sound power..and they weigh 70 pounds each. grin

Set up time was about 5 minutes, including the V-Stand and mic boom....BTW: the G70 and a Cube on the V-Stand is just as fast, maybe a bit faster wink

When I am set up, the comfort level on the G70 is far and away better for me.It is not just the harmonizer, but mic volume control and effects as well as any balance I need to adjust is right in front of me....I can use play-list on both units (BK5 and G70), but the G70 gives me more flexibility...and the search feature is better on the G70 for special request...

I didn't even touch base about the advantage of the superior 76 keys compared to the lighter touch 61 on the BK..

What I am saying..there are concessions using the BK5 that I use and enjoy with the G70..
Is it worth hauling a heavier keyboard...To me YES...it is not a big deal for me to lift a 46 pound keyboard up on a stand...when everything is on board the G70..

If I would use the G70..I would pretty much always use a Cube..I just like 15's, and I know I have the coverage...

The last 6 locations I played in senior centers...the BA330 was more than enough, although this was the first of the six jobs that I used the BA330..(I chose to carry the Cube)...I split the keyboard duties 3 and 3..

Don't get me wrong..I enjoyed playing the BK5 and BA330...they did the job,, sounded great too...and for a one hour in and out job..I guess I shouldn't complain...I am just spoiled.. grin

#347035 - 07/15/12 06:42 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran - you already know the answer. If you're used to lugging the G70 around, then take it and a Cube and you'll have everything you need for 95% of MH/retirement jobs. Believe me, if I could handle it, I'd do just that...

#347038 - 07/15/12 06:59 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: cassp]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: cassp
Fran - you already know the answer. If you're used to lugging the G70 around, then take it and a Cube and you'll have everything you need for 95% of MH/retirement jobs. Believe me, if I could handle it, I'd do just that...

Cass, only 95%...now what am I going to do about the other 5%? smile

#347039 - 07/15/12 07:32 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Fran, the G70 and a cube will handle 100% of the jobs, just make sure the hernia insurance is paid up. smile

Tom

#347044 - 07/16/12 05:29 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

Hi Fran,

Keep plugging away. I was doing 50+ jobs a month sometimes and kept on going. All of a sudden, I go into this 8 hr job (well, 10-12 hours actually) and abruptly aborted music (totally). I have time to 'moonlight' if I want, but getting cozy and just hanging on the lake at nights. My keyboard has excessive dust and I think I forgot all my tunes now!

Looking back, music was twice as difficult (but more rewarding) than my current gig.............

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#347047 - 07/16/12 06:40 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Jim, I found out a long time ago, that balance is important when it comes to music...making music and a living making music...

When making as much money as possible in the music making business, and it becomes your priority...you can be sure you went over the balance...Your enjoyment will drop like a weighted keyboard...

We sometimes feel we should never pass on a gig...50 plus gigs a month...will burn you out and change the reason you play music....the benefits of music, should never be the monetary gain...

If I was concerned about making money...I have other business interest...if I chose to do so...that would return 10 fold what I make in music..

If I am in a music relationship, band duo etc, and I am not happy with how things are going...musically or personally...I would change the situation...playing for the money will never be my determining factor...Happiness and fulfillment..are the reason I like music....otherwise, my family life would come first..always..

Hanging on the lake at nights..sounds good to me and seems to be the right choice for you for now...

#347055 - 07/16/12 07:56 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran ... look at it this way ... lugging the G70 and the cube around will keep you fit and strong and you won't have to spend money to join a gym ... juggle

How much time it takes to set up/break down is only important if you have something worthwhile to do otherwise ...

#347058 - 07/16/12 08:06 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I found out a long time ago, that balance is important when it comes to music...making music and a living making music...

....the benefits of music, should never be the monetary gain...

Yep, I agree, and burnout is very possible doing the same type of gigs for a long time. Plus, doing what you love, is not work, and, generally you end up making more benefits, many of them not monetary.

My philosophy is that one should never focus that much time on making a good living, that one neglects making a good life.

Ian

#347061 - 07/16/12 08:30 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

That's a great philosophy, a great viewpoint overall, Ian.

Music, as much as it's central to our whole, has, after all, to be recognised as a single component and, as Fran says, balance is important.

It is those who lose that balance who run into problems in other areas of their lives. It's essential to find the working/gigging 'comfort zone' and stay within it.

#347063 - 07/16/12 08:45 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Bottom line it's a freakin job!!like any other, you either love it or you hate it but you have to do it or starve,.....you go to work to support you & your family and get paid....period!....philosophy?...yeah right!

Edited by Dnj (07/16/12 08:46 AM)

#347065 - 07/16/12 08:59 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Bottom line it's a freakin job!!like any other, you either love it or you hate it but you have to do it or starve,.....you go to work to support you & your family and get paid....period!....philosophy?...yeah right!

Donny, you are so....wrong.. smile

Of course you can make it a "job"...that is our point...why make it just a job....if you do...you will never be happy..

#347067 - 07/16/12 09:20 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
... breathe, Donny .... just breathe .......

#347069 - 07/16/12 09:36 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

????????.........who said I dont love MY JOB??

#347072 - 07/16/12 09:54 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny make some more CDs and send me one eh! We all love ya man.

Want some of my Ativan. I'll give ya 1 or 2 Ativan for a CD.

Someone told me that these things go for $10-$20 each on the street. I can't understand why. They have nothing to do with getting high. They kill the stress and relax you. Shoots, now I'm taking afternoon naps when I'm not doing gigs for the Old Folks.

I'm never gonna make money here anyway. Anything that doesn't go twang coming out of any instrument around here is considered Jazz by the cowpokes in Colorado. Ha ha!

#347090 - 07/16/12 11:59 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, I understand. I still use an 80 lb Solton MS 60 on short jobs. Heavy as hell! I like the sound and the on-board speakers.

I also use a 2nd keyboard on my right hand or over the Solton (or SD-5, sometimes). I take a guitar, guitar amplifier, at least two speakers and a powered monitor on EVERY job now.

The mini Korg is nice, but I'm not sure I will ever use it by itself.

that said, if I play an hour, it takes me an hour to set up and tear down.

I can see the temptation to go lighter and smaller, especially if you do 500 jobs a year. I do 250 or so, and plan to continue to use what I'm using for the near future.

It helps that I have a son and another factory worker who are available to haul and help hook up.

R.

#347091 - 07/16/12 12:16 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Atta-boy, Fran. I'm proud of ya'! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#347098 - 07/16/12 01:05 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

Getting done at 4 - 5 pm each day and no nights or weekend work will make one forget about "work". Yep, the amount of jobs played to make decent money was too much. The burnout came and a new chapter presented itself.

I wouldn't look back and I'm not itching to play at this time. Time goes too fast and I enjoy my family life to its fullest now. That said, not thinking I'm totally devoid of music in the future.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#347104 - 07/16/12 01:56 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki

I wouldn't look back and I'm not itching to play at this time. Time goes too fast and I enjoy my family life to its fullest now. That said, not thinking I'm totally devoid of music in the future.

Zuki, do you still play for yourself at home when you have some free time?

I stopped doing personal gigs (restaurant music) awhile back, and no real plans for getting back into it (I still do Yamaha arranger/synth clinics) but I still play my Tyros4 for my own enjoyment at least a few hours a day...I'd really miss it otherwise, as it is sort of a relaxation and getaway for me.

Is/was music like that for you?

Ian

#347115 - 07/16/12 02:40 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

I look at it this way the less you guys play out the more for the dedicated musicians out there that want and enjoy it ...all I can say is Thank you.

#347116 - 07/16/12 02:49 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

You are probably right Donny...personally, I love having the time off right now...when I want to get back at it, I will...that's why I keep playing at home...to keep the chops up, and so I don't have to dust the keys.

Getting work was never an issue for me, but having time off is also important to most of us pros.

It's all about balance, baby, balance!

Keep your stick on the ice.

Ian

#347118 - 07/16/12 02:55 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Who wants time off?...I wan't time "ON STAGE" playing MUSIC, Singing, Dj'ing, etc.. Music & Performing is my Passion, to entertain people always was always will be ....that's where I'm comfortable and happy......plenty of time for what ever else life has to offer..Life is way too short.

Edited by Dnj (07/16/12 02:57 PM)

#347120 - 07/16/12 02:59 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

I want time off...it's important to me...it gives me time to recharge and also time to do some recording.

My playing doesn't always have to be "on stage"...music is personal to me and part of my relaxation, as well as a money maker.

Ian

#347122 - 07/16/12 03:05 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Those young ladies of yours look pretty strong and healthy to me; maybe they could do double duty as roadies. OTOH, they might not fit in too well on the senior circuit (although YOU would smile ).

chas

Chas, that is true....my eyes are stil good though smile

Here is a pic for you..That is my stage friend in the middle (pink bikini)..

Attachments
531535_10150917292387064_266736851_n.jpg

#347132 - 07/16/12 03:58 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Fran I hope you burn in hell. Ha ha!

#347137 - 07/16/12 04:48 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

..That is my stage friend in the middle (pink bikini)..

Ok, so now we know why you "can't afford to own a Audya , Korg PA3X, or Tyros4..". Those pink bikinis don't come cheap smile .

However, you're in good company. In a blind test between a TOTL arranger and a well stuffed pink bikini, 9 out of 10 men chose the well stuffed bikini (interestingly, the tenth guy plays a Wersi).

chas

#347142 - 07/16/12 07:06 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I played a 911 fill-in job last week at a retirement home that pays me the least of all my customers. After my hour, two gents came up to me to shake my hand and tell me how much they liked the music. Two ladies sat in the path of my exit and wanted to chat and shake my hand; those songs were just right for today, I knew all the words. Finally, I woman in a wheelchair rolled up just before I left and put her arms out and had me come over for a huge hug. "Thank you," she whispered.

I get to that place every other month and, as I said, get the least amount of money. The money pales in comparison to the response I get from people like these. smile That's why I continue to play.

#347143 - 07/16/12 07:55 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yawn... Not a redhead in the bunch.
frown

#347147 - 07/16/12 08:34 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Yawn... Not a redhead in the bunch.
frown

These are as close as I got for your redheads....

Attachments
DSCF2559_800x600.jpg

8923_1161645518857_1159404593_429548_8041330_n.jpg

#347151 - 07/16/12 10:00 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

UD,

There all dyed to hide the grey, mind you unlike Donny, at least they have hair to dye rotf2 hey and Donny's not proud, he's not breathing in for the photo rotfl

#347154 - 07/17/12 03:08 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

Ok, so now we know why you "can't afford to own a Audya , Korg PA3X, or Tyros4..". Those pink bikinis don't come cheap smile .

However, you're in good company. In a blind test between a TOTL arranger and a well stuffed pink bikini, 9 out of 10 men chose the well stuffed bikini (interestingly, the tenth guy plays a Wersi).

chas

Hi Chas

Do you know who this 10th guy is, as we will definitely be ejecting him from the Wersi Club if he puts a keyboard before a Bikini? grin grin wave

Bill

#347156 - 07/17/12 03:53 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: abacus]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus

chas

Hi Chas

Do you know who this 10th guy is, as we will definitely be ejecting him from the Wersi Club if he puts a keyboard before a Bikini? grin grin wave

Bill

I can't mention him by name but his initials are Tony Hughes. However, I understand he's trading in his Wersi for an older model Meadiastation.

chas

#347160 - 07/17/12 04:56 AM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

No Ian, not even playing a tune. Busy trying to build a sales territory and attached to a 'honey-do' list at night. Since we've moved the lake, we've had visitors weekly.

I have been in contact with the main 'who's who' of woman in the retirement circuit up here. One successful performance with her will open up opportunities - just not ready yet.

Thanks for asking!

#347186 - 07/17/12 12:47 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
I have been in contact with the main 'who's who' of woman in the retirement circuit up here. One successful performance with her will open up opportunities - ... .

confused1 things that make you go HMMMMMmmmmm ?!?!? confused1
rotfl

#347187 - 07/17/12 02:22 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

So this forum has gone from "my kb is better than yours", to my sound system is better than yours", to "my set - up is faster than yours" to "jazz is better than what YOU play", to "my women in bikinis are better than yours" ... duel well, at least NOW it is INTERESTING!!! rotf2 dance2

#347191 - 07/17/12 03:06 PM Re: Thinking out loud...again [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

I did my job clap

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online