SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#346992 - 07/14/12 06:14 PM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
We would sometimes take the trolly Buses to the 69th St Ferry,..I went over the Verrazano bridge first day with the folks......it was the beginning of the END of Staten Island....my aunt lived on Shore road facing the Hudson......my Uncle was a pro photographer and took pics every night right out their window from the first day of construction and put them in an album till it was finished.
After the mass Exodus from Bklyn in the mid 70's it's never been the same ......all Russian & Korean Now have migrated there....I bought my first house in S.I. but when I saw what was happening it was time to flee asap....happy I made that move with my family down the jersey shore no regrets..
S.I. became Brooklyn for a little while but now a very crowded melting pot wasteland....so sad.

Donny ... I was a sergeant in the US Army Reserves at the time and our unit and others marched across the bridge in the Opening Day parade ... I was at a bachelor party the night before and didn't get home until about 4AM ... had to be at the Post at 6AM ... I was a Tank Commander in the Armored division and we wore yellow ascots when we marched ... my CO told me my face matched my ascot quite well ... rotfl ... having been born and raised in SI, I really feel bad about what has happened ... not about the people, but the fact that there were NO controls on expansion, and they just allowed developers to knock down trees and put up houses ... once they started buying and tearing down beautiful one family ranch homes and replacing them with 4 family units, I knew things were really going to get bad ... fortunately, the company I was working for relocated to RI and we went with them ... and NEVER looked back ... smile

#346993 - 07/14/12 06:16 PM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Meanwhile ...

#346998 - 07/14/12 08:48 PM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://justintimeband.homestead.com/XFER.html

Here is a link to our trio Just in Time...performing a Dupree's medley(mp3)...I am playing the "old" G1000...

#347004 - 07/15/12 05:19 AM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Fran Carango]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Nice vocals Fran. I'm sure you guys well be very well received at the show.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#347005 - 07/15/12 06:06 AM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: brickboo]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
You know how most of you guys hate Jazz! Well I love the "Righteous Bros, Jackie Wilson" and on and on.
But I want to know the answer to the following question. Please someone give me a number.

How many and what do you have to smoke to be as old as these guys look to sing so many different tunes for so many years and 99% of them are built on:
C, Am, F, G in a circle, or whatever key? Big deal, there are a couple of Fm's and D7's in a few of the bridge's of a few tunes.

If I would have done this for 30 years, or maybe just 29 years, even making 50 million dollars a year, it would not have done me any good, because I would have wound up in a straight jacket by now. I've come close a couple of times, but this monotony would have put the nail in the coffin for sure. Sorry not trying to be mean! I'm just stating a fact. For me, it's mind boggling!!!!!

The guy has a great voice, BUT? Come on singing do-wop and ahh's etc on the same four chords? How hard is that.

Well, I'll admit for tone deaf people it might seem like quite a feet, but for those tone deaf people even being able to hit a single note on the piano and singing it back would be a miracle.

I get it and have often wonder the same thing. How can a group do the same songs for many years and keep it fresh and fun sounding. Recently seeing a story about the Beach Boys 50th year reunion tour I wondered, "don't they get sick of those songs" Heres my take. Preforming those songs and watching the crowds go nuts transends the boring chord changes. I still never get tired of hearing the introduction to "Califorina Girls" and those tight high harmonies. Even a group like Tower of Power can't get off a stage until they do "What Is Hip" Its got to be very repetative for them but the crowd, myself included, goes crazy when the bass starts pumping the intro. In my own little world I'm getting sick of a lot of my material but it still works and some is hard to replace. I'm there to make the peole happy , not myself.
I love jazz and its a delicate balance of being entertaining to the listeners and entertaining yourself with new licks and changes. Whatever, you have to try to have fun

Edited by Bill Lewis (07/15/12 06:08 AM)

#347006 - 07/15/12 06:12 AM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Are they using a live band or have they gone Kareoke like so many acts I see now? A friend of mine who I worked with used to play drums for them and they had a very decent backup band in the day.

#347008 - 07/15/12 06:41 AM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Fran Carango]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Hey Bill,
Would you mind if I use you along with Tony and Chas as an editor of my post also?

Maybe I'd become more likable. I'm trying to win a popularity contest. I want to be more popular on the forum like I am with the musicians around New Orleans. Ha ha!

I enjoyed your post it was put more tactful than I'm able to do. I always put my foot in my mouth and nothing seems to come out right. LOL!

#347011 - 07/15/12 06:53 AM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Are they using a live band or have they gone Kareoke like so many acts I see now? A friend of mine who I worked with used to play drums for them and they had a very decent backup band in the day.

they aren't even the same group,.. all the people from different groups in the Duprees...feeding off the original hits, I did shows with mostly original groups years ago when they sounded great........they usually use a 4 or 5pc band in their shows now for big venues.....as do most of the
Doo Wop acts who are still active........but many use tracks also...some bought, some custom made....no body cares as long as it sounds good...

here's something interesting also....

Duprees original manager protests

#347014 - 07/15/12 09:00 AM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

I saw the Beach Boys doing a live performance on TV recently - at least those that are still around - I believe two of them have passed away? ... Brian Wilson looked almost comatose sitting at a keyboard - very sad indeed - although a couple of times when the camera zoomed in on him it looked like he played a couple of chords - ... they have a pretty good size band of all young musicians/singers backing them up so it is hard to tell who is actually playing and singing ... but the sound and the energy seemed to be there ...

#347021 - 07/15/12 01:47 PM Re: Opening act for Brooklyn Bridge in Wildwood, NJ [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I don't get it...the band is opening for "Brooklyn Bridge"..yet I just played for their fans....at an assisted living center grin

Edited by Fran Carango (07/15/12 01:48 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online