SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#346356 - 07/03/12 12:06 PM Appreciation goes to some of my favorites...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I thought I'd take a minute to recognize some of the people who are part of this group. Here, I'm talking about recognizing musicianship and performances.

This is a list of some of my favorites...not meant to imply that they are the absolute, undisputed top in each category, but simply the ones I admire and enjoy the most.

* Favorite Keyboard Player: Toastie (Joost). He has the mechanics down, but plays with such precision, innovation and feeling. I really enjoy him.

* Favorite All-round musician: Rory Hoffman, of course. I saw Tony Monaco listen to him play a Nord C-1 at Namm with his mouth open in appreciation. I want to permanently remove my left hand from the arm every time I hear him play guitar, and I ain't "no slouch" in that area. Watching him get the appreciation he deserves is heartwarming. I'd adopt him if I could.

* Favorite all-round vocalist: Heikki (The Wolf). He jokes and kids (I enjoy that part of his work, too), but sings his a** off! He'd scare me to death if he got really serious.

* Favorite arranger entertainer/generalist...all styles. Gotta be "Gentleman Don". He's got the voice, the chops and the sense of humor to make me want to go to Louisiana to sit in. And, he puts up with me, so he's tolerant as Hell!

* Favorite jazz/funk player...my good friend Chas. He's modest, but plays the exact style and material I live to play.
He can really "COOK". A real renaissance man. Wish he wasn't so modest and would post more work...he's a KILLER!

* Favorite stylist: Uncle Dave. He doesn't bother getting "Swamped" in the mechanics of a board. He identifies the 12 or so styles he needs, fine tunes them a bit, and spend his time playing a personal, sophisticated style that closely matches mine. A superb singer/stylist/musician on the "cool" end of the spectrum.

It would be my great honor to be on the bandstand with these people...individually or as a "super synth group" (if they'd let me).

Folks, this is my opinion only. I'm not implying that each is the undisputed best in the categories I have created; just the ones I admire most. I won't bore you with a complete list of all those here I enjoy watching and listening to.

This is NOT a comprehensive list, but a short "off the top of my head" attempt to recognize excellence and voice my appreciation. Sometimes, it's good to let people like those above know...

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/03/12 12:15 PM)

#346357 - 07/03/12 12:19 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
frown sick surprised

#346361 - 07/03/12 12:39 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, I actually would have mirrored your results..

#346362 - 07/03/12 12:45 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Frank, if I had created a "Consummate Pro" favorite, I'd certainly put you in that slot.

Be well, friend,

Russ

#346366 - 07/03/12 02:20 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Actually, I was hoping to win 'Mr. Congeniality'. Still, it was nice to squeak out a win over Tony Hughes in the 'Funk' category smile . I'd like to nominate Russ for something but it would probably seem self-serving. We all know (since his video) what a formidable musical talent he is, but what most SZ'ers might not know is what a fine human being he is. I won't embarass him by naming all the causes and charities that he contributes to (and I'm just talking about the ones I know about) and the number of people he has helped on a personal level, but just know that the list is long.

I'm also glad to see someone recognize the HUGE musical AND comedic talent of 'The Wolf'. His vocals make everyone else want to 'sit down and shut up' and with all due respect to Uncle Dave, the 'cursing' in his videos were such an integral part of his 'act' that to ask him to omit it (on what? ....moral grounds?...are you kidding me) just seems kind of petty and misses the whole point of the performance. Just great adult entertainment by a superb entertainer. With an average age of what, 88 or so smile , isn't it safe to assume that we're all adults here?

Although I'm not a big fan of show tunes (unless redone as jazz tunes), movie themes, etc., there HAVE been some noteworthy performances done by some of our members. For pure quality of work, I think Telmo ranks right up there with the best of them. Also, one of our border or south-of-the-border members did a beautiful guitar version of 'Masquerade' that still sticks in my memory, 'though I can't remember who it was (I'm old, what can I say). Anyhoo, enough rambling.

chas

#346369 - 07/03/12 02:33 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Telmo is an equally deserving talent, for sure.

R.

#346377 - 07/03/12 04:39 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
frown cry redface cry

Just kidding OF COURSE ... QUITE a formidable group you've got there Cap'n ... clap
I may not TOTALLY agree - that's what personal preference is all about - but I also can't say I could argue much with any of the choices ...
Of course it is ALL subjective, but a nice show of appreciation ... rocker

Edited by tony mads usa (07/03/12 04:41 PM)

#346380 - 07/03/12 05:21 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

QUITE a formidable group you've got there Cap'n
I may not TOTALLY agree - that's what personal preference is all about - but I also can't say I could argue much with any of the choices ...
Of course it is ALL subjective, but a nice show of appreciation ... rocker

Tony, I think it's really good of Russ to share his favorites (yes, Russ, I know it's not comprehensive) and I don't totally agree, nor do I argue with the choices, because as you say, that's what personal preference is all about.

One person I feel should be on EVERYONE'S "favorites" is our buddy, and SZ site owner, Nigel Spencer, who not only is a terrific musician in his own right, but a great guy as well...fair, open-minded, easy going, nasty when needed (sometimes at me blush ), very kind the rest of the time...and, without whose perseverance and patience, we would have no place to be buddies, play favorites, have our tussles, voice our opinions, and generally have a place to visit unlike any other forum on the Internet.

So, I'm sure you'll agree as well, Tony...that's why I am using/quoting your post to share who is one of my favorites.

And, I'm sure we all agree that Russ is a great old guy (well, older than me...ha ha)...I think the world of him...his heart is always in the right place.

Ian

#346383 - 07/03/12 07:01 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Tony, I think it's really good of Russ to share his favorites (yes, Russ, I know it's not comprehensive) and I don't totally agree, nor do I argue with the choices, because as you say, that's what personal preference is all about.

One person I feel should be on EVERYONE'S "favorites" is our buddy, and SZ site owner, Nigel Spencer, who not only is a terrific musician in his own right, but a great guy as well...fair, open-minded, easy going, nasty when needed (sometimes at me blush ), very kind the rest of the time...and, without whose perseverance and patience, we would have no place to be buddies, play favorites, have our tussles, voice our opinions, and generally have a place to visit unlike any other forum on the Internet.

So, I'm sure you'll agree as well, Tony...that's why I am using/quoting your post to share who is one of my favorites.

And, I'm sure we all agree that Russ is a great old guy (well, older than me...ha ha)...I think the world of him...his heart is always in the right place.

Ian

Ian ... I agree ... I KNOW Russ as a kind, caring individual ... and it was nice of him to share his feelings in a public forum ...
And OF COURSE, we would not have known Russ' feelings were it not for Nigel ...

Cue the music, DonM ... keys ... "I LOVE this bar ..."

#346385 - 07/03/12 09:34 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm flattered to be mentioned in the same post as these guys!
I could write a book about the talent of people on this forum, not only those that Russ mentioned but many more. I have heard and jammed with Boo, DnJ, Tony, Gary, Eddie, my good buddy Semilive, Cass, Don P., Hammer, Tom C. (and I'm certain I'm leaving out some) all in person, and they all have their individual talents that make them pros in my book. I'm not going into the ones that I've only heard recorded, but the point is that every single member shines in his or her own way.
Lucky for you folks that I'm too tired to ramble more. Played golf from noon to four, then went fishing from six to 9:30. Got home at 10:30, hosed off the boat, put the cover on it. Now time for a snack and to fall asleep in front of the tv. It's a tough life. I may even wake up the baby's mama later. smile
Happy Independence day to the U.S. folks btw!
DonM

#346387 - 07/03/12 10:05 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi Russ,

What about comedians category, Ian the loader, Beakybird Human Cannonball, Gary on sights and trajectory, Oh yes Gary is not just an arranger player, once over if he had you in his sights you were brown bread.

Good luck with your flight through the air Beaky and remember one thing , if the good lord had meant you to fly he would have given you a pair of wings confused2

Happy 4th to you all drink smoke party

Tony

BTW Russ I agree with your Hall Of Fame, all ist class IMO clap

#346399 - 07/04/12 07:44 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ - It's a love-fest all around! Thanx for the nod ... I'm honored and especially touched by the category. So many friends here are all tied for tops on my list, still ... it's great to be mentioned. Now, get your old arse out here to Philly!

#346432 - 07/05/12 06:15 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
* Favorite Keyboard Player: Toastie (Joost). He has the mechanics down, but plays with such precision, innovation and feeling. I really enjoy him.

Is this "KeyboardPlayer" on Youtube?

#346461 - 07/05/12 03:34 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

The two Tonys are on my "favorites" list, for sure. Tony Mads for unwavering commitment to music, support of others in the field and a classy, genteel attitude. He also has an open-minded appreciation for all kinds of music and excellent taste (unlike a certain crusty old, sometimes narrow minded "jazzer" around here...ME!).

And, my friend from across the sea...a wierd little guy who happens to be cool, discerning, funny as hell and a genuine "smart ass all the same time, while still making valid observations; often in line with mine (of course, that makes him an expert on all things (LOL). Rarely, does he not bring a smile to my face.

I didn't mention Nigel, the Tony's and many others because I tried to do a "shoot from the hip" appreciation of music production only....not personality, good works (Chas, for instance, is a person so totally devoted to humanitarian works and issues of equality...backs up his commitment with major hours and checks) chick magnet ability...Fran has that one locked up (LOL)...or other qualities.

One thing for sure. Here, a full spectrum of types of musicians/entertainers are represented.

And that's part of what makes life interesting and rewarding.
And that's what makes you folks special to me.

Best personal wishes to all,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/05/12 03:41 PM)

#346469 - 07/05/12 05:55 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Well said, Russell...it's only human nature to have favorites.

In my line of thinking, anyone who contributes regularly to the forum earns my appreciation, as it keeps this unique place going and gives us all a chance to voice our opinions on all aspects of arranger playing.

Ian

#346484 - 07/06/12 08:23 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Russ ... Thanks for the kind words, although unnecessary ... I don't think anyone could take exception to your "appreciation" post ... and if they do, that's THEIR bag !!!

#346491 - 07/06/12 10:38 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

I don't think anyone could take exception to your "appreciation" post ... and if they do, that's THEIR bag !!!

Me neither, Tony, in fact positive posts like Russell's are nice to see on this forum, and indicative of what a caring person he is...he's also a pretty good player as well...double whammy!

Ian

#346494 - 07/06/12 12:02 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

I meant FRAN in my earlier post. So sorry, friend. I pulled a tendon in my left index finger. It's in a brace and that makes playing keyboard and typing very hard and playing guitar/bass impossible.

FRAN is my choice as consummate, long-time professional.
(And, LADIES MAN!)!

Russ

#346506 - 07/06/12 09:28 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

And, my friend from across the sea...a wierd little guy who happens to be cool, discerning, funny as hell and a genuine "smart ass all the same time, while still making valid observations; often in line with mine (of course, that makes him an expert on all things (LOL). Rarely, does he not bring a smile to my face.

Russ

Russ,

It's dead simple about you and me "GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE" heeeeeeeeee, and I am brushing up on my jazz, I just wannabe part of the "A" Team, I let my wife see your nice comments about me, she said " IF HE LOVES YOU THAT MUCH LET HIM COME AND LIVE WITH YOU"??? rotf2

Thanks Russ

PS I really hate Jazz and the Beatles sofa
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346516 - 07/07/12 03:41 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Tony Hughes]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

PS I really hate Jazz and the Beatles sofa

So do most people, Tony. At least you're honest about it. I know it's heresy but I, too, am not a huge fan of the Beatles. I love a few of their songs ('Yesterday', for instance) but I usually prefer someone else's arrangement/performance of them (so I guess it must be their songWRITING that I like smile ). As for jazz, it's pretty much an aquired taste, as (like Classical) it requires a certain amount of intellectual participation from the listener. In it's MOST sophisticated forms, it almost requires that the listener himself be a musician or at least an advanced student of the art form. This is (understandably) just too much work for most people, but for those lucky few, the rewards are great.

chas

PS: I hate theatre organ as a style and lump pipe organs right up there with accordions, bagpipes, and harmonicas. But what can I say, I'm culturally deprived smile .

#346520 - 07/07/12 05:58 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

I really hate Jazz and the Beatles sofa

Ha Ha! Well, Tony, jazz is certainly an acquired taste, especially progressive jazz. I like it, and I do play it, but it's only one of the genres of music I enjoy. I feel the same about Celtic (fiddle) and Bluegrass. There are those who are aficionados for these genres, but I ain't one of them. I prefer variety in the music I play, and would be bored silly playing (or listening to) any particular style too frequently.

The Beatles, in my estimation, changed the way we look at pop music, and a lot of their tunes, especially the later ones, were quite sophisticated and expertly arranged, using strings, brass, electronic instruments to great effect. Some of their music has even been embraced by such diverse groups as jazz players, and classical orchestras.

To me, music is like food...variety, but always fine quality, competent preparation, and outstanding presentation.

Ian

#346539 - 07/07/12 11:37 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Eddie at least you and I got an honorable mention from our old buddy Don.:)

Tom

#346543 - 07/07/12 03:34 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

Ye Gods, Ian, you sure know how to live dangerously. That's just about heresy for a Caper not to be into Celtic fiddle music, isn't it? How have you survived so far. No wonder you're selling the house. :-)

#346545 - 07/07/12 04:19 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Ah, well, what can I say, 124, especially with a surname MacNeill. I do enjoy Celtic music as one of the genres I listen to and play, but I really have no actual favorite style of music. Some days I just like one kind over another, and being a demonstrator I am required to play many different genres with some kind of proficiency.

My birth Mum was French and played fiddle-she was from Acadian stock, my adopted Mum, who I lost in car accident on Christmas Eve.(along with my adopted Dad) also played violin (I still have it-it's a Ruggeri-very old, and in terrific shape) and I remember hearing her play some Celtic tunes, although she tended to favor a more swing/jazz style reminiscent of Grappelli...I was only very young when she passed.

There was always music at my home, even the folks who raised me (aunts and uncles) were musicians, and they played a wide variety of styles, so I guess that's where I picked up a love for so many genres of music.

I really love the older country music, like Webb Pierce and Hank Williams, and, of course, tried to mimic Floyd Cramer as much as I could when playing piano, and although I played Celtic stuff at kitchen parties, I really didn't favor it over other styles, like many Capers seemed to do.

Natalie MacMaster and Ashley MacIsaac are my favorite fiddlers, with the latter having a real edginess to his playing-both are exceptional world class violinists.

What about you? Aside from jazz, do you favor any style more than others?

Ian

#346548 - 07/07/12 07:17 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Doo wop

#346553 - 07/07/12 09:16 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Doo wop

REM:

END OF THREAD violin rotf2

#346556 - 07/08/12 12:11 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Ah, well, what can I say, 124, especially with a surname MacNeill. I do enjoy Celtic music as one of the genres I listen to and play, but I really have no actual favorite style of music. Some days I just like one kind over another, and being a demonstrator I am required to play many different genres with some kind of proficiency.

My birth Mum was French and played fiddle-she was from Acadian stock, my adopted Mum, who I lost in car accident on Christmas Eve.(along with my adopted Dad) also played violin (I still have it-it's a Ruggeri-very old, and in terrific shape) and I remember hearing her play some Celtic tunes, although she tended to favor a more swing/jazz style reminiscent of Grappelli...I was only very young when she passed.

There was always music at my home, even the folks who raised me (aunts and uncles) were musicians, and they played a wide variety of styles, so I guess that's where I picked up a love for so many genres of music.

I really love the older country music, like Webb Pierce and Hank Williams, and, of course, tried to mimic Floyd Cramer as much as I could when playing piano, and although I played Celtic stuff at kitchen parties, I really didn't favor it over other styles, like many Capers seemed to do.

Natalie MacMaster and Ashley MacIsaac are my favorite fiddlers, with the latter having a real edginess to his playing-both are exceptional world class violinists.

What about you? Aside from jazz, do you favor any style more than others?

Ian

Not really, I like a lot of things - anything that falls easily on my ear. I can't pretend to appreciate jazz as much as some, as I don't have what seems to be the requisite musical knowledge. Nonetheless, I enjoy the genre greatly, and I'm not sure that the 'requisite musical knowledge' is absolutely essential. I can get into a 'groove' with ease. To be honest, the technicalities don't really interest me, it's more what it does to my gut. If I can't feel it, then I turn off.

Like yourself, my childhood, and I'm sorry to hear yours was so tragic, was in a very musical environment. Dad was a first tenor with the London Welsh Male Voice Choir. His sister, my aunt, was a soprano with the Chorus of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden for 30 years, and sometimes garnered supporting roles alongside some greats of her era, Maria Callas among them. A cousin was principal organist at Handsworth Cathedral in Birmingham, so there's a bit of pedigree.

I never did take any formal musical training myself. A combination of a bit of a headstrong character, very fast ears, and parents who, in retrospect, didn't push me enough. I did start piano at a community college at the age of 26, but my ears got the better of me and I didn't stick with it for more than a couple of weeks. Some regrets in that regard now, but I don't view it as a serious impediment. I've spent a lifetime 'in the trenches', to borrow a phrase from Donny, and it's made an awful lot of people happy. So I'm good with that. Best regards, 124.

#346562 - 07/08/12 05:04 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

124, I hope I didn't imply that one could not enjoy/appreciate 'jazz' without a certain 'requisite musical knowledge' (although I DO believe that helps). Ian used the term 'progressive jazz' and THAT is the specific form that I was referring to.......and therein lies the problem. The term 'JAZZ' has so many forms, from Dixieland to Swing to Bebop, and beyond, that it's hard to make ANY statement about jazz that would apply to all forms of it. Certainly the less complex forms are easier to digest than say a Ornette Coleman/Don Cherry 'free jazz' performance (even Miles had a hard time 'getting it' in the beginning). If any one thing unites all of the various forms, I would say it would be IMPROVISATION. The person that loves Dixieland may 'hate' some of the more 'so-called' progressive forms of jazz (and vice versa). But in my mind that is no different than in other types of music, as I'm sure that there are many who 'love' one type of Country music but 'hate' another. In the end, you're absolutely correct; it's whatever is pleasing to the ear that is important. Personally, I feel that cultural influences, early (and heavy) exposure, combined with an 'ear' for all the subtle nuances that seperate music from just noise, also go to shape our perception of what does and does not sound good.

Again, no elitism or jazz snobbery intended in my previous comments and I assure you that I love most musical forms IF the quality is good.

chas

#346567 - 07/08/12 06:49 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

No, of course not, Chas. I saw no elitism in your earlier comments - you're much broader than that, I know. As you allude to, there definitely is, unfortunately, some elitism/snobbery in jazz, just as there is in many other forms, and it irks me to no end. We've all run into it from time to time.

I think that many of the elitist bunch, who wouldn't know an E from their elbow, actually miss out on the kernel of what jazz, in all its forms, is about. The soul. Just like any other art form, jazz should reach into you at a much deeper level than just at the entrance - the ears. It has to have that healin' feelin'.

I'm very much with you in that it really doesn't matter what the genre is, as long as the quality is there plus, PLUS, a certain honesty on the part of the musician. I believe the huge majority of jazzers are honest - nobody got into jazz to get rich. ;-)

Man, it's a bit early in the day, but I've just got to go play some blues now. Be well.

#346591 - 07/08/12 01:59 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

I will first say that I am not into hip-hop or rap ... while some of the artists are no doubt talented, I just cannot bring myself to listen to those genres ... just personal taste ...
My iPOD has Playlists for just about EVERY other genre of music ... the buttons on the radio - not into sirius - in both cars and truck are set for Classical, C/W, classic Rock, Doo Wop, sports talk out of New York (AM), a local AM station that broadcasts NY Yankees games rocker ... and a small jazz station out of Newport RI that has limited broadcast range ...
Just my 2 pennies worth ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (07/08/12 02:00 PM)

#346692 - 07/10/12 01:02 AM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I agree about everyone mentioned in this thread. But there are many other great entertainers on this forum that really shine in their area of expertise. I really can't pick favorites because I can enjoy listening to so many.

One of my smooth jazz favorites is Jose Pereira who always brings a smile to my face when I hear him play.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online