I thought I'd take a minute to recognize some of the people who are part of this group. Here, I'm talking about recognizing musicianship and performances.

This is a list of some of my favorites...not meant to imply that they are the absolute, undisputed top in each category, but simply the ones I admire and enjoy the most.

* Favorite Keyboard Player: Toastie (Joost). He has the mechanics down, but plays with such precision, innovation and feeling. I really enjoy him.

* Favorite All-round musician: Rory Hoffman, of course. I saw Tony Monaco listen to him play a Nord C-1 at Namm with his mouth open in appreciation. I want to permanently remove my left hand from the arm every time I hear him play guitar, and I ain't "no slouch" in that area. Watching him get the appreciation he deserves is heartwarming. I'd adopt him if I could.

* Favorite all-round vocalist: Heikki (The Wolf). He jokes and kids (I enjoy that part of his work, too), but sings his a** off! He'd scare me to death if he got really serious.

* Favorite arranger entertainer/generalist...all styles. Gotta be "Gentleman Don". He's got the voice, the chops and the sense of humor to make me want to go to Louisiana to sit in. And, he puts up with me, so he's tolerant as Hell!

* Favorite jazz/funk player...my good friend Chas. He's modest, but plays the exact style and material I live to play.
He can really "COOK". A real renaissance man. Wish he wasn't so modest and would post more work...he's a KILLER!

* Favorite stylist: Uncle Dave. He doesn't bother getting "Swamped" in the mechanics of a board. He identifies the 12 or so styles he needs, fine tunes them a bit, and spend his time playing a personal, sophisticated style that closely matches mine. A superb singer/stylist/musician on the "cool" end of the spectrum.

It would be my great honor to be on the bandstand with these people...individually or as a "super synth group" (if they'd let me).

Folks, this is my opinion only. I'm not implying that each is the undisputed best in the categories I have created; just the ones I admire most. I won't bore you with a complete list of all those here I enjoy watching and listening to.

This is NOT a comprehensive list, but a short "off the top of my head" attempt to recognize excellence and voice my appreciation. Sometimes, it's good to let people like those above know...

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/03/12 12:15 PM)