SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#346356 - 07/03/12 12:06 PM Appreciation goes to some of my favorites...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I thought I'd take a minute to recognize some of the people who are part of this group. Here, I'm talking about recognizing musicianship and performances.

This is a list of some of my favorites...not meant to imply that they are the absolute, undisputed top in each category, but simply the ones I admire and enjoy the most.

* Favorite Keyboard Player: Toastie (Joost). He has the mechanics down, but plays with such precision, innovation and feeling. I really enjoy him.

* Favorite All-round musician: Rory Hoffman, of course. I saw Tony Monaco listen to him play a Nord C-1 at Namm with his mouth open in appreciation. I want to permanently remove my left hand from the arm every time I hear him play guitar, and I ain't "no slouch" in that area. Watching him get the appreciation he deserves is heartwarming. I'd adopt him if I could.

* Favorite all-round vocalist: Heikki (The Wolf). He jokes and kids (I enjoy that part of his work, too), but sings his a** off! He'd scare me to death if he got really serious.

* Favorite arranger entertainer/generalist...all styles. Gotta be "Gentleman Don". He's got the voice, the chops and the sense of humor to make me want to go to Louisiana to sit in. And, he puts up with me, so he's tolerant as Hell!

* Favorite jazz/funk player...my good friend Chas. He's modest, but plays the exact style and material I live to play.
He can really "COOK". A real renaissance man. Wish he wasn't so modest and would post more work...he's a KILLER!

* Favorite stylist: Uncle Dave. He doesn't bother getting "Swamped" in the mechanics of a board. He identifies the 12 or so styles he needs, fine tunes them a bit, and spend his time playing a personal, sophisticated style that closely matches mine. A superb singer/stylist/musician on the "cool" end of the spectrum.

It would be my great honor to be on the bandstand with these people...individually or as a "super synth group" (if they'd let me).

Folks, this is my opinion only. I'm not implying that each is the undisputed best in the categories I have created; just the ones I admire most. I won't bore you with a complete list of all those here I enjoy watching and listening to.

This is NOT a comprehensive list, but a short "off the top of my head" attempt to recognize excellence and voice my appreciation. Sometimes, it's good to let people like those above know...

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/03/12 12:15 PM)

#346357 - 07/03/12 12:19 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
frown sick surprised

#346361 - 07/03/12 12:39 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, I actually would have mirrored your results..

#346362 - 07/03/12 12:45 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Frank, if I had created a "Consummate Pro" favorite, I'd certainly put you in that slot.

Be well, friend,

Russ

#346366 - 07/03/12 02:20 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Actually, I was hoping to win 'Mr. Congeniality'. Still, it was nice to squeak out a win over Tony Hughes in the 'Funk' category smile . I'd like to nominate Russ for something but it would probably seem self-serving. We all know (since his video) what a formidable musical talent he is, but what most SZ'ers might not know is what a fine human being he is. I won't embarass him by naming all the causes and charities that he contributes to (and I'm just talking about the ones I know about) and the number of people he has helped on a personal level, but just know that the list is long.

I'm also glad to see someone recognize the HUGE musical AND comedic talent of 'The Wolf'. His vocals make everyone else want to 'sit down and shut up' and with all due respect to Uncle Dave, the 'cursing' in his videos were such an integral part of his 'act' that to ask him to omit it (on what? ....moral grounds?...are you kidding me) just seems kind of petty and misses the whole point of the performance. Just great adult entertainment by a superb entertainer. With an average age of what, 88 or so smile , isn't it safe to assume that we're all adults here?

Although I'm not a big fan of show tunes (unless redone as jazz tunes), movie themes, etc., there HAVE been some noteworthy performances done by some of our members. For pure quality of work, I think Telmo ranks right up there with the best of them. Also, one of our border or south-of-the-border members did a beautiful guitar version of 'Masquerade' that still sticks in my memory, 'though I can't remember who it was (I'm old, what can I say). Anyhoo, enough rambling.

chas

#346369 - 07/03/12 02:33 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Telmo is an equally deserving talent, for sure.

R.

#346377 - 07/03/12 04:39 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
frown cry redface cry

Just kidding OF COURSE ... QUITE a formidable group you've got there Cap'n ... clap
I may not TOTALLY agree - that's what personal preference is all about - but I also can't say I could argue much with any of the choices ...
Of course it is ALL subjective, but a nice show of appreciation ... rocker

Edited by tony mads usa (07/03/12 04:41 PM)

#346380 - 07/03/12 05:21 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

QUITE a formidable group you've got there Cap'n
I may not TOTALLY agree - that's what personal preference is all about - but I also can't say I could argue much with any of the choices ...
Of course it is ALL subjective, but a nice show of appreciation ... rocker

Tony, I think it's really good of Russ to share his favorites (yes, Russ, I know it's not comprehensive) and I don't totally agree, nor do I argue with the choices, because as you say, that's what personal preference is all about.

One person I feel should be on EVERYONE'S "favorites" is our buddy, and SZ site owner, Nigel Spencer, who not only is a terrific musician in his own right, but a great guy as well...fair, open-minded, easy going, nasty when needed (sometimes at me blush ), very kind the rest of the time...and, without whose perseverance and patience, we would have no place to be buddies, play favorites, have our tussles, voice our opinions, and generally have a place to visit unlike any other forum on the Internet.

So, I'm sure you'll agree as well, Tony...that's why I am using/quoting your post to share who is one of my favorites.

And, I'm sure we all agree that Russ is a great old guy (well, older than me...ha ha)...I think the world of him...his heart is always in the right place.

Ian

#346383 - 07/03/12 07:01 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Tony, I think it's really good of Russ to share his favorites (yes, Russ, I know it's not comprehensive) and I don't totally agree, nor do I argue with the choices, because as you say, that's what personal preference is all about.

One person I feel should be on EVERYONE'S "favorites" is our buddy, and SZ site owner, Nigel Spencer, who not only is a terrific musician in his own right, but a great guy as well...fair, open-minded, easy going, nasty when needed (sometimes at me blush ), very kind the rest of the time...and, without whose perseverance and patience, we would have no place to be buddies, play favorites, have our tussles, voice our opinions, and generally have a place to visit unlike any other forum on the Internet.

So, I'm sure you'll agree as well, Tony...that's why I am using/quoting your post to share who is one of my favorites.

And, I'm sure we all agree that Russ is a great old guy (well, older than me...ha ha)...I think the world of him...his heart is always in the right place.

Ian

Ian ... I agree ... I KNOW Russ as a kind, caring individual ... and it was nice of him to share his feelings in a public forum ...
And OF COURSE, we would not have known Russ' feelings were it not for Nigel ...

Cue the music, DonM ... keys ... "I LOVE this bar ..."

#346385 - 07/03/12 09:34 PM Re: Appreciation goes to some of my favorites... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm flattered to be mentioned in the same post as these guys!
I could write a book about the talent of people on this forum, not only those that Russ mentioned but many more. I have heard and jammed with Boo, DnJ, Tony, Gary, Eddie, my good buddy Semilive, Cass, Don P., Hammer, Tom C. (and I'm certain I'm leaving out some) all in person, and they all have their individual talents that make them pros in my book. I'm not going into the ones that I've only heard recorded, but the point is that every single member shines in his or her own way.
Lucky for you folks that I'm too tired to ramble more. Played golf from noon to four, then went fishing from six to 9:30. Got home at 10:30, hosed off the boat, put the cover on it. Now time for a snack and to fall asleep in front of the tv. It's a tough life. I may even wake up the baby's mama later. smile
Happy Independence day to the U.S. folks btw!
DonM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online