SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#345686 - 06/14/12 07:37 PM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Many Thanks Sparky,

What a great report. You may have just saved me from making a big mistake. The lack of a numeric key pad and foot pedal volume control may not work for me. Although, I don't use a volume pedal with my Roland Fr-7X; But it doesn't need one!

I too used an Excelsior Midivox purchased from AOR. I know peter S. quite well. He used to attend the National Accordion Convention in Dallas every year, however, he hasn't been there in the last two years.

Got to love the Dolomite 96. I've never tried one but 22 1/2 pounds can't be beat.

Once again, many thanks for your response. I'm probably going with the Alassandrini Polka Magic Jr. 37/96 without MIDI, and then have something else installed (0ther than Totter).

Don P

#345692 - 06/15/12 07:27 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi Sparky,
Thanks for the info concerning the Orla KX10, I really appreciate it!
Like you, I've also been a Ketron sound guy. I started out many years ago with the MS-40 then went to the X-4 & then to the Midjay series of modules, using my C465 for a midi controller. The older I get the heavier the Orla gets so I'm looking for something smaller & lighter. I'll definitely have to give the KX10 some serious thought.
Wally

#345693 - 06/15/12 08:16 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
… And thanks from me for your observations regarding the KX-10 Sparky. For years I used a Master MK4, 96 bass keyboard controller … it has since ‘bit the dust’. I contacted Orla to see if they could offer a controller similar to the MK4. About a year later, Orla It. told me that were releasing the KX-10 but the price at that time was much more than I want to spend to use it as a controller. I spoke with Music Magic several times about it and asked if they could refer me to someone who was successfully using the KX-10 as the only reference to it on the net was not complimentary. I’m still investigating, I got the best price from Jim Laabs, but several people told me to be wary when dealing with this company. I used the PK400 for about a year, but it was too heavy for me to tote on gigs and the OS is far too busy to use on gigs.
In addition to midi accordion, I currently use the Master Pro 2000, 120 bass midi unit with a variety of keyboards and with the Midjay Plus. I was thinking that I would use the KX-10 sounds and as a controller with the Midjay styles and files. Any observations about this configuration? Are the midi send channels on the KX-10 fixed? If so, do they send on the channels to allow control of external (Ketron) expanders?
Sorry for being so wordy, but I’ve been trying to get reliable info about the KX-10 for a couple of years.
Ciao,
Jerry

#345695 - 06/15/12 10:00 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules-"on bass" fingering? [Re: Jerry T]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Please Jerry, or anyone else who has used Orla... do their modules and piano keyboards have a provision to change the bass line based on the INVERSION of the chord being played? (Among Korg, Roland, Yamaha this feature is known as "Fingered On Bass" chord recognition.)

For example: when this feature is activated, you will get an E-bass if you play E-G-C, and a C-bass if you play C-E-G in the chord recognition area. Obviously if you are triggering the module with an accordion-style bass controller or pedal board, it should play the fundamental bass corresponding to the bass button or pedal being pressed. However my question has to do with whether alternate bass lines are available using a common piano keyboard midi controller.

I reviewed an old KX1000 manual and couldn't find any mention of this feature. Does anyone know whether it was implemented on their later modules, such as the XM900 and Virtuoso?
Thanks,
Ted

#345697 - 06/15/12 11:20 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: Jerry T]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
The KX10 midi channels come set for r1, r2, ch, bass. You can change them to match another module. I always created a separate midi receive setup in the external module ( accd2, user 1) to receive the channels. I had a helluva time trying to figure out what channel drums were on in the Orla (I think ch 11) but they transmit sounds. Couldn't get to transmitting control signals specifically and rhythyms played ok for 4 sounds but once I could access drums it wasn't right. Again, I believe all the programming info does not transmit/is not received. Very frustrating. I got an sd4 today from JAy Fox and am trying to coordinate the midi channels.

As far as single finger chording on their 61 key models, they have 2 options which will produce major, seventh, minor, and minor seventh chords. This does not apply to the left hand button versions.

Any other q's?

Anybody that can help me with the drum problem?

Edited by sparky589 (06/15/12 11:22 AM)

#345698 - 06/15/12 11:24 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
sparky589 Offline

That video with AJ looks so easy- plug in the sd4 and hook up the midi and audio outs, turn the volume to 0 on the keyboard (it was a Korg though) , and play away with full rhythms/drums....Any suggestions AJ?

#345699 - 06/15/12 11:26 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: donpatt]
sparky589 Offline

The Musictech works with everything...

Edited by sparky589 (06/15/12 11:29 AM)

#345700 - 06/15/12 11:28 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
sparky589 Offline

And Jerry & Wally, 25 lbs +/- on the KX10. With multiple back surgeries, I look at weight for eveything, instruments, speakers (I us 2 ev zx1/sb122 towers), etc.

Edited by sparky589 (06/15/12 11:29 AM)

#345701 - 06/15/12 11:31 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules-"on bass" fingering? [Re: TedS]
sparky589 Offline

Peter Shearer at AOR knows the Orla modules inside out. I too went from an MS40 to an X-4 to an SD3. Sold the ASD3 and regret it everyday- going to look for a used one, or the Roland BK-7m.

#345702 - 06/15/12 12:09 PM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: donpatt]
sparky589 Offline

The Totter does have bellows sensitivity but that's something I never liked.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online