SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#345382 - 06/05/12 02:46 PM Orla XM Sound Modules
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I looked at the Orla website and 2012 catalog and unless I am mistaken there is no mention of their sound modules. Does anyone know if they have discontinued production of them? It seemed they were moving from Italy to China with their manufacturing of many items.

#345403 - 06/06/12 12:08 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Heres the UK dealer http://orladirect.co.uk/xmvirtuoso/

They may be able to help

Bill

#345407 - 06/06/12 05:35 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
donpatt Online   content

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Sparky,

This is from the Castiglione Accordion site! He is located in Warren, Micchigan.

"New for 2012" Orla's newest Rhythm Arranger! No mention of price. Looks kinda interesting.

http://www.castiglioneaccordions.com/orlaxm500musicstation.html

Don P

#345418 - 06/06/12 08:54 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: donpatt]
sparky589 Offline

Looks like same sound engine and setup as my Orla KX-10 with the addition of microphone features.

MMUSA/ Orla KX10

Edited by sparky589 (06/06/12 08:57 AM)
Edit Reason: link

#345422 - 06/06/12 09:29 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
donpatt Online   content

The guy in Michigan must have an exclusive on the module. I asked Lillianna at MMUSA abt it and she said she didn't think she could get one!

#345606 - 06/12/12 08:50 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: donpatt]
sparky589 Offline

I deal with MMUSA and Accordion-o-Rama, both Orla dealers. AOR was told there was going to be a new Orla module then told there wasn't by the same guy at Orla later.. They tried for 2 years to get info on a KX10 for me and got a runaround so I ended up getting it from Alex at MMUSA and they were exclusive distributors (thru Wyman music in CA.) out here. Orla must have made the same deal with Castiglione through Falcetti music. I believe both products are produced for Orla in China thus being handled differently...FYI I recommend both dealers- I have purchased several accordions from AOR and most recently one from MMUSA after the KX10 purchase.

#345642 - 06/13/12 11:14 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hello Sparky,
I see in one of your posts that you have purchased the Orla KX10 keyboard. I am thinking about getting the Orla KX10 piano accordion keyboard & have watched the videos made by Music Magic on youtube. Are you pleased with yours? Would you recommend it?
I presently have the Orla C465 piano accordion keyboard & it is starting to show it's age so I am looking to upgrade.
Thanks for any info that you may give.
Wally

#345646 - 06/13/12 11:33 AM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: sparky589]
donpatt Online   content

Sparky,

What is the accordion you have with the Totter MIDI system? Are there any particular dislikes you have abt the system. I know it uses Ketron SD2 sounds. I'm considering the Totter system but can't get much info. Alex sent a brochure but it really doesn't tell much and there's not even any pictures that I can find!

I would be interested in your opinion; pro or con!

Many thanks,

#345682 - 06/14/12 01:47 PM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: moldmaker]
sparky589 Offline

I like it as far as its ease of use goes. Sounds are from adequate to good- Ive always been a Ketron sound guy. But this seems to be the only way to get the accordion configuration in a keyboard. Your C465 was followed by the pk400 then came the Kx10. Only 20 memory presets but it has usb so there is expansion there. Very simplistic midi- no options to change midi channel assignments etc. You have to match it with your settings if you're going to run an accordion thru it. I just ordered an sd4 to run with it . That way I can select the ketron sounds/programs from the keypad.. I have an sd2 but the orla can't trigger more than the first 128gm sounds on it. the kx10 has no programming capabilities to access the higher banks in the sd2. Selecting sound # 129 on the orla gives you sound #1 on the ketron and you start over again. If you don't need to add anything, it's fine. Piano sounds are good, strings and saxes ok, rhythms good. No psr7/910, tyros or ketron sd5/audya. I do most of my performance with the accordion and sd2 and the rest of the band.

#345683 - 06/14/12 02:03 PM Re: Orla XM Sound Modules [Re: donpatt]
sparky589 Offline

I had the Totter midi installed on one of his Pietro wooden folk accordions, the Dolomite 96. Love the accordion at 22 1/2 lbs! The only thing I miss with this midi is a numbered keypad on the controller . It has an up and down button, and there is a way to make it move fast or normal to scroll thru programs. After playing Excelsior Midivox and Musictech midis with keypads, it was an adjustment but I'm fine with it now. I wanted a small controller and theirs fit perfectly with the chrome grill of the accordion. You do not get a sound card on board the accordion as the advertising leads you to believe; you are supplied an sd2 that it plays thru included in the pricing . The accordion is programmed with many factory presets using the sd2 sounds and various banks. I found it easy to change or add more myself into the memory of the Totter. You can create programs in the Totter controller memory with sounds from any of the 4 banks in the sd2- you are not restricted to one bank, and you call them up by number only, not bank and number. Quicker that way. I am very satisfied with it and would get it installed in my next accordion whenever that might be. The only drawback for me besides no numeric keypad is no output from the Totter control box for a volume pedal. I tried using midi signals from a midi solutions pedal controller but the Totter uses a different pin configuration than most- the data and power don't line up. I ended up using a yamaha fc9 pedal and running in and out of it with the analog signal. But this raises all volumes-0 I used to just use the pedal for right hand sounds . You can control volume with the grill controller but it takes a few steps. Hope all this helps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online