SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#344642 - 05/10/12 03:23 PM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 124
Ian, good luck with the move. That's a tidy lot of grass that wants mowing in the summer, and a whole lot of driveway to clear of snow in the winter. Good move, mon ami.

Thanks...for an increasingly lazier and lazier guy, it is just way too much servile work...besides, I'm a musician, not a gardener or a snow plow driver...ha ha! grin

Ian

#344646 - 05/10/12 06:33 PM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Where Ian lives summer only last two weeks, so mowing the grass isn't a big deal. Here, in the people's republic of Maryland grass mowing season lasts about 7 months, and I have 3 acres of it to mow every week. It takes about 3 hours with a tractor and a 42-inch mower deck. Trimming with a weed-eater takes another hour. And, I don't even want to think about edging 160-feet of sidewalk and 300-feet of driveway. Think I'm gonna' get a lawn service next summer--I'm too old for this $hit! wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#344648 - 05/10/12 06:39 PM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Mmmm, don't know about that, but out here in the west our mowing season is about three months and snow season is eight months. The other month is for bitchin' about what's been and what's to come. laugh

Anyway, you have my commiserations, Gary. Sounds like you need to do an 'Ian'. Do they have seniors' centres on boats in Florida? I guess we could have them here, but our water is 'solid state' for a lot of the time. frown

Edited by 124 (05/10/12 06:43 PM)

#344649 - 05/10/12 07:25 PM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey Gar, summer is about three months, and although hardly incredibly warm throughout, it is perfect weather for grass growing like a sonofabitch...most lawnmowers are V-8's. wink

Lawn mowed by someone else is always at least $50 for the large lawn I have, and it needs mowing almost every two weeks at least...more if there is a lot of rain.

Snow removal ain't much cheaper, but usually (hopefully) less often. Biggest issue is heating oil, which has gone up in price, and upcoming maintenance on house.

If I could snap my fingers and it would all be done, I'd be in a seniors place tomorrow, but I have a lot of stuff to pack up/throw away/sell/give away, so it will be at least a few months work, but I sure am looking forward to getting new digs and having far less responsibilities(and more time for music).

Ian

#344661 - 05/11/12 08:42 AM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good luck Ian. That seems like a very logical move. Wish we could do that, but we still need room for the grandkids, and we live on the golf course. Probably when I get too old for golf, we'll consider a move, but after so many years in the same place, I know what you're going through.
One other thought--I'll bet you could make an agreement to provide entertainment in exchange for your rent, or at least part of it!
Regarding keyboards, Yamaha will probably make a big step forward with their next arrangers. I look for a lot of changes.
Don't really care though. We could play anything made in the past 10 years or so and do just fine.
But as you know, I'll be the first in line if something new and great catches the eye!
DonM

#344670 - 05/11/12 09:33 AM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Probably when I get too old for golf,

I'll be the first in line if something new and great catches the eye!
DonM

too old for golf,
So that would be at about 110 yrs, right ... dance

first in line

... right after Donny ... duel rotfl

#344672 - 05/11/12 09:49 AM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Ian, Best of luck with the sale of your home and a move. We did it last year it's a ton of work and sometimes painful to have to throw the memories away. We lived in the house for just about 20 years. It was the right choice, we're settled in to the new smaller quarters. While you're in the middle of making the move you start thinking what was I thinking when we made this choice?

#344674 - 05/11/12 10:56 AM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Susan said Don will stop playing golf three days after he's dead! wink Hmmmm! That's about the same time I'll get to retire. smile smile smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#344690 - 05/11/12 10:26 PM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Regarding mowing the lawn, this winter was so mild that we never actually stopped mowing it. Some of it had died because of last summer's drought, but it is now back and you can almost see it growing. I'm so blessed to have a young wife. I cook supper while she mows the yard!
I really WAS thinking about quitting golf but have had a few good rounds in a row so . . . I'M BACK!
What a life--up at the crack of 10:30 a.m., leisurely breakfast while I decide whether to play golf or go fishing, home in time for a quick nap and shower before somebody PAYS me to go sing and play music. Doesn't get it better than that!
smile
DonM

#344710 - 05/13/12 12:41 AM Re: Whats happened to this forum lately....very quiet? [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ian,
have fun moving. I think we've had about 20 house moves in the last 40 years haahaa
Average of one move nearly every 6 months. Build or renovate a house, get it established, then we'd sell.
I'm an EXPERT on packing boxes. I know why we moved so often, he didn't have to help with packing up. haahaa

Actually on a roll at the moment, thank goodness he's retired, we've actually stayed put in or current house for the last 7 years.

Edited by rikkisbears (05/13/12 12:57 AM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online