SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#344393 - 05/03/12 01:33 PM Derby Day is BIG around here....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My day starts in Louisville at a stuffy country club for a 9:30 AM brunch before members head to Churchill Downs for the Derby via a charter bus.

Then, I'm at another University affiliated club in Lexington for a 12:30 brunch..one and a half hours away.

I'm in the lounge of my regular club for dinner which starts about an hour before the race...4:30 PM, I think.

Then, I'm at a private party on a horse farm in Midway, Ky, starting about 9:00 PM.

Playing is the easy part. It's the logistics of getting equipment to where it needs to be and set-up that's the challenge. Luckily, I'm using one house piano on one gig, my B-3 and Rhodes, which resides at a club and is set up by a waiter who is a church musician and have the help of my sons and grandson (who are part of the trio) for the other two.

Gotta love the "DERBY" around here!

Russ

#344401 - 05/03/12 03:50 PM Re: Derby Day is BIG around here.... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Playing is the easy part. It's the logistics of getting equipment to where it needs to be and set-up that's the challenge.
Gotta love the "DERBY" around here!
Russ

Russ ... I've always said "I PLAY for free ... I get PAID for getting the gear to the site, setting up and breaking down" ... smile
Have a GREAT Derby Day ... and NIGHT !!! dance2

#344403 - 05/03/12 04:31 PM Re: Derby Day is BIG around here.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Russ take pics for us..have fun!

#344416 - 05/04/12 08:02 AM Re: Derby Day is BIG around here.... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This is EVERY Derby day. We're 80 miles from Louisville. Every hotel room and rental car in this town is booked.

Russ

#344417 - 05/04/12 08:29 AM Re: Derby Day is BIG around here.... [Re: captain Russ]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Russ,
My Mother's family was from Louisville. Lived on Church Street in one of those massive homes. We attended the Derby yearly for years - drove over from St. Louis with my parents. You have to have been there to appreciate what is is all about. In those days events were on-going for the entire week and you never knew who you might run into.
Have a great day!
Deane

#344432 - 05/05/12 01:00 AM Re: Derby Day is BIG around here.... [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I love Derby day. I always go to a local club to bet and have a few drinks with friends. A couple of years ago my dog had just twisted his leg chasing birds on the beach. So I bet on a horse called "Mine This Bird" in his honor. It won at 50-1 and won me $1000. I love this race.

#344452 - 05/06/12 07:08 AM Re: Derby Day is BIG around here.... [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... and WHAT a race it was ... I am always amazed at how a horse can come from so far back to win ... they are really amazing animals ...
Looking at the replay, you could see 'Bodemeister' fading near the end, but as he saw 'I'll Have Another' come alongside it looked like he was starting to make a last minute push but just had nothing left ...

Edited by tony mads usa (05/06/12 07:11 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online