SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#343756 - 04/17/12 07:33 PM Performance of: Mr. Bojangles - Jazzbesteck !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thought you guys might be interested in watching this.
My longtime German musician buddy & personal friend, Stefan Erdman (on Yam KB + Tyros 4),
recorded (with his band Jazzbesteck) this 2009 session of "Mister Bojangles", featuring Philipp Maurer on vocals.
Their appearance was part of a National German Radio Show. I'm really proud of these guys.
This perf showcases the rewarding challenges playing with a live band vs arranger playing alone. cool

#343757 - 04/17/12 10:40 PM Re: Performance of: Mr. Bojangles - Jazzbesteck ! [Re: Scottyee]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Scott, they were amazing! Thanks for sharing!

#343773 - 04/18/12 08:08 AM Re: Performance of: Mr. Bojangles - Jazzbesteck ! [Re: Scottyee]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Nice find Scott, and a great performance.
Anyway it's Sammy D. Jr. who are my real "Mr Bojangles" hero, it's a lovely song and melody, and he made it glue to my mind forever. smile

Cheers
GJ

#343777 - 04/18/12 08:24 AM Re: Performance of: Mr. Bojangles - Jazzbesteck ! [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Two things:

* It's IMPRESSIVE how YOUNG these guys are to be so together...proof that, in spite of what a lot of people say, there's a fine group of young folks "keeping the music alive"
today. That's GREAT.

* Jazz is as much an ATTITUDE as anything else. It's more than a time signature.

Great find, Scotty. This is a good example of why I have stopped using an arranger for live performances.

Being able to work with my son and grandson is GREAT!

And being able to pull off high level "gigs" "naked, so to speak (no "automation"), is fulfilling. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with using whatever you decide to use to get the job done.

The important thing is...PLAY. Play as often and learn as much from the process as you can.

And ALWAYS realize you can learn from everyone...especially fine young musicians such as these.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (04/18/12 08:28 AM)

#343791 - 04/18/12 01:12 PM Re: Performance of: Mr. Bojangles - Jazzbesteck ! [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This sounded really nice, and they are obviously good musicians, but I was disappointed that there were no instrumental solos or interplay between them ...
Tried to find a web site where I might have been able to hear more from them, but was unsuccessful ...

Scott ... do you have anything else of theirs?

Edited by tony mads usa (04/18/12 01:13 PM)

#343797 - 04/18/12 02:56 PM Re: Performance of: Mr. Bojangles - Jazzbesteck ! [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, I think most of the band consisted of young high school guys. They may not even be to the point of playing "off" each other, but have concentrated on being a backing ensemble.

I agree; a tasteful chorus or two; then back into the bridge with a vocal would have been "tasty"!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online