SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#342932 - 03/29/12 10:49 AM Question(s) to users of PA series with touchscreen
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
As a blind person I know the Korg's TouchScreen is very difficult to navigate but a senerio has come to mind and I need to know some things...

1. With SongBook editor available to edit and setup entries in the SBD on the board I can do the appropriate setups on my pc to put my songs together with settings I'd like to use such as style, STS, etc. Software seems to be usable but don't have any board to see if the fields I can't work with are because I'm working with a sample SBD file which is not linked to the other files necessary on the board.

2. Using a method similar to Dennis' method of UnRealBook on an iPad or iPhone but not using the actual software but only a MIDI connection from the device and a program to send Program Change messages to setup song entries from the SongBook DB on the board by having a listing of songs which reside in the SongBook and can be sorted appropriately and have a find feature - once found select the song and the messages go out to the board to setup the board with appropriate settings.

My question would be at this point how much interaction with the touch screen will I still have to encounter during play? I would hopefully have the foot controller to make variation changes and fills and still hit the user buttons to change STS if necessary...

Looking at the sample SBD I have downloaded, I find many songs which I am familiar and would like to play and hoping most have been generally moved up to the PA3x since it's been expanded and noticed there's more to come.

I've been extremely interested with the PA800, 2x and now extremely interested with the 3X but the touchscreen holds me back. Since SongBook Editor is somewhat accessible to me and the ability to call up these entries via MIDI Program Changes makes it more interesting since it can be setup on a pc or device I can navigate without touching the screen on the board.

I really would like to play a PA series and this may be a way around the touch screen issue if I don't need to use it with the method I described above.

If anyone has any alternative thoughts on who someone with no visual aquity can navigate the touchscreen, I'd really appreciate it. My only other alternative to the Yamaha's are Ketron which is doable but I have my reasons not to make it my first choice.

Best,
Vince

#343121 - 04/02/12 01:57 PM Re: Question(s) to users of PA series with touchscreen [Re: vin5451]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Having played both Ketrons and PA3X, my feeling is that the Ketron would be far easier for a blind person to navigate.
Also in the equation: they sound GREAT too!
DonM

#343171 - 04/03/12 08:53 AM Re: Question(s) to users of PA series with touchscreen [Re: vin5451]
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Thanks Don. Yes, I agree but the Ketron does not have a facility to edit Registrations or Song Setting via PC or another external method. Songbook seems to be accessible and from samples of entries I have found with the included database, most songs I play or want to are there and can easily be edited and adjusted to my liking rather than starting from scratch. On the Audya, I would have to go through and find all my settings, voices and style plus STS which may work with that style and start from scratch.

That's the main reason why I ask about the Korg since the drive of the unit would be from the PC or notebook or iPad/iPhone to call up the settings I need from SongBook not to go through all settings using the touch screen. Guess I'm asking also if there are adjustments which can only be made from the screen...

I like the Audya for it's sound and layout and the sliders are a plus where I don't have to go to a screen to set something like on the Tyros series. Easy access to get started is what I'm looking for since starting from scratch will be a time consuming and tedious event on the Audya.

The Tyros is easy but there are more deeper menu selections to get where I need to be and the Live sound is not there.

Ultimately, I will most likely go with a version of the Audya but if I can get over the barrier of the TouchScreen on the Kork, I'd rather go that way.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online