SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#342257 - 03/17/12 11:02 AM It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok guys, as you may have already read, Synthzone buddy Rico recently posted a very impressive instrumental version of the song "Lucky Day". clap
I recently discovered this song (on YouTube) and pointed it out to him and was thinking of recording it too, but with vocals, and in auto accomp. arranger (vs utilizing a midi backing track as Rico impressively showcased).

Rico suggested that we give the membership a chance to hear 2 different approaches to the same song, and that we both record this song, so I sang & concurrently played it live in arranger (auto accomp) mode, and recorded it in one quick take (with plenty of flaws eek ) utilizing the T4 'jazz rotary organ' sound, going directly out of the T4 to my Tascam DR-07MKII digital recorder. I had hoped to find time to re-record it again, but haven't found the time yet (I'm having too much fun playing with my new iPad 3 grin , so have opted to simply post the one I recorded in one quick shot last week.

Listen:

Scott Yee - Lucky Day

Warning: it's a down and dirty one shot (with plenty of flaws) rehearsal

#342266 - 03/17/12 01:25 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: Scottyee]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Scott,
Great job my friend
Because i know this is not easy to do
Verry hard song to master in singing and then also playing
I can allready tell you because i cant sing and play at the same time
So greatly done my friend
and some flaws dont matter, who cares i am making them also
its albout the feeling you put into it and show it to the people then they know its comming from youre heart
Thats what musics about then it is sincere
changing peoples feelings
Again i am verry happy with the fact you pionted me out to this song because also of the reactions from people that they didnt knew the song
Its funny to see all the reactions also in the netherlands nobody knew this song amazing if you ask me because its a super song

and you did a great job
Regards Rico wave

#342267 - 03/17/12 02:00 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: KeyBTyros]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Scotty, good job. Where does this song come from? A musical?, An import? Thought I was pretty informed about all kinds of new material, but this one is unfamiliar.

R.

#342270 - 03/17/12 02:12 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: KeyBTyros]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Scott,

You did a fantastic job!

You showcased what the Tyros4 can do when played Auto-Accompanyment style with an accomplished lead vocalist who can simultaneously play the chords and the riffs on the keyboard.

You will be the ideal professional demonstrator for Yamaha.

It is impressive to see what the Tyros 4 is capable of when a skilled keyboardist like Rico plays his chops over a backing MIDI track and then take it to the next level by adding live vocals.

Your Tascam DR07mkII digital pocket recorder is worth every penny. This along with your new iPad and the Yamaha Tyros4/Korg microARRANGER combo gives you the ideal portable setup for any live performance.

Thanks for sharing your work.

#342272 - 03/17/12 02:25 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Great job Scott! I wish my rehearsals sounded that good smile
This song is starting to grow on me. I can't believe I never heard it before. Thanks for sharing.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#342273 - 03/17/12 02:42 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: montunoman]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
clap clap clap
Eddie

#342277 - 03/17/12 03:37 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
clap clap clap

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#342278 - 03/17/12 03:40 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott, In your usual fine style, very nice! Wow, and you took time out of using your new iPad! Thanks for posting that, it's been a while since I've heard you!

#342283 - 03/17/12 07:29 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: Scottyee]
Beakybird Offline

Great job Scott! That's a good #. I like your organ playing, and your voice sounds great with the harmonizer.

#342286 - 03/17/12 10:50 PM Re: It's your "Lucky Day", a one shot recording ! [Re: captain Russ]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Rico, Cap Russ, Tapas, Paul, Eddie, Gary, Steve, and Larry:

Hi Guys:
Thanks for such generously kind words. smile
Glad you enjoyed my rendition of "Lucky Day".
I had honestly debated whether to post such a rough around the edges recording, especially realizing my vocals weren't always on pitch pristine.
Then again I remember past member comments made suggesting that my vocal sound style was better suited for trad. pop & jazz standards and not for Pop Rock & Country.
In an attempt to bring out an edgier raw quality to my voice, I intentionally set the song key a tad higher than usual to try to achieve that,
but regrettably,in a few spots,it resulted in some pitch-vocal placement problems.
I did have fun spontaneously recording it either way, so thanks to Rico for having suggested us both record the same song,
as it's now inspired me to actually seriously 'work' on learning another new tune again. smile

Additional comments and thoughts from others are 'welcomed and encouraged'.

Scott cool

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Scotty, good job. Where does this song come from? A musical?, An import? Thought I was pretty informed about all kinds of new material, but this one is unfamiliar.
Hi Russ,
"Lucky Day" was included on German singer Sasha Schmitz's 2007 Greatest Hits album and was the 66th best selling German single of 2007.
Here he performs the song @ the 2007 Live Earth Concert in Hamburg:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online