SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#341931 - 03/13/12 11:42 AM No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Here it is, the middle of March, and I have yet to play an arranger gig.

I have played 50 or so live gigs; all on either solo jazz guitar, solo piano or with my trio (B-3, Trumpet, drums, or Guitar, bass and drums).

After I got back into the guitar business after an injury, a few of my regular customers thought quiet guitar was unique and began requesting it.

These are all dining room jobs, so it's pretty easy to pull off.

I've always had a preference for playing with other players, but still think the arranger is a fine tool. I continue to use it for film score roughs, low end sound track projects, simple demos, etc.

And, If someone requests it, I'll be glad to "do it".

My overseas job is piano and guitar only in a dining room setting.

I'm not advocating not using an arranger. That would be suicide here, and my choice is more related to the type of jobs and anything else.

My point is, there's work out there. The requirements change, but the way to keep working is to be adaptable.

In an average week, I will play a couple of sessions on guitar, 4 solo jobs on guitar and piano, one or two with the trio and as many as I can on whatever...anything from Dixie on banjo or solo guitar with the Philharmonic to Texas Swing on lap steel and everything...almost anything else, as long as the people are cool and the place is clean and safe.

After more than 20,000 gigs in 55 plus years, I'm as anxious to go to work tonite as I was as an excited 10 year old in 1955.

And, for that, I'm eternally grateful.

R.

#341933 - 03/13/12 12:09 PM Re: No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet.... [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Russ, nice to hear you are keeping busy. Seeing that you play several instruments and styles, how do you determine which axe to bring for solo gigs? What type of gigs would favor using an arranger? When do you decide to go solo piano or guitar? Do clients ever request that use or NOT use an arranger?

Just curious...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#341938 - 03/13/12 01:46 PM Re: No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet.... [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

The arranger works GREAT for patio's, wedding receptions on a budget...picnics, etc.

I have had most of my dining room people request piano only. Most have appreciated a mix of guitar and piano.

Of course, these are where the musician plays in support of a ham sandwich (quietly, not to get in the way). Very few vocals.

At a country club I work, they did not like the look of the arranger and all the extra stuff (cords, sound system, stand, etc.) for the dining room, but don't mind it when I play the arranger after UK games in the lounge or on the patio.

The B-3 stays at another club, along with a Suitcase Rhodes for two nights of jazz a month.

For guitar dining room gigs, it's always a large jazz guitar with a floating pick-up into a JazzKat PhatKat amp (tube pre-amp for mellow jazz, plus a mic in for spare vocals) for dining rooms. I generally play a Godin jazz guitar and a nylon string for the trio gigs.

Other guitar gigs require an appropriate instrument for the style that fits...nylon string for formal dinners and receptions (lots of quiet Bossas). For Rock-A-Billy with the Philharmonic, I use a garish silver sparkle double neck Gretsch. Pop oriented material requires either a Parker Fly or something like a workhorse Gibson 335. On a recent blues night, I used a Gibson Melody Maker.

Believe it or not, when I get a request for piano only for a quick one-nighter, I often use a little $300.00 Yamaha NP-30.

Lots of tools to choose from.

By the way, one GREAT thing about a 55 plus year in the business is the friends I have met here.

(GROUP HUG)!

Russ

#341945 - 03/13/12 03:22 PM Re: No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Believe it or not, when I get a request for piano only for a quick one-nighter, I often use a little $300.00 Yamaha NP-30. Russ

#341953 - 03/13/12 05:15 PM Re: No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

"No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet....'

I really don't want to live that long.... rotfl

#341973 - 03/14/12 01:34 AM Re: No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet.... [Re: Dnj]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
...some of my friends look as if they already did!
but, wow, they had a whale of a time ! smile

#342008 - 03/14/12 11:06 AM Re: No Arranger gigs in 20012...yet.... [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
captain Russ Offline

Just saw the typo. I look and feel like Eddie's friends (LOL).

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online