SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#341948 - 03/13/12 04:47 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
124 Offline

Hi John,

Thanks for the listen and your comments. The i30 style I used is simply called Motown - appropriate enough, I guess:-). Initially I said it was un-tweaked, but I'd forgotten to say that I'd changed the one of lead voices from tenor sax to organ - so it's organ and piano on the track. I also upped the tempo from its native 120 to 136. Other than those, it's as is.

As I'm from the UK originally, I know of Cliff well. Back in the day my skiffle group was in a 'battle of the bands' with his group. Must've been around 1957 when he was still plain old Harry Webb. We didn't win, neither did his group. :-) I bought all his old early records, though.

#341951 - 03/13/12 05:05 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
Agreed, John. It's funny, but I don't 'get' the problem some seem to have with busy, or as I see it, interesting, full, styles. Mind you, I hardly ever play instrumentals, it's pretty well all vocals with me. But my right hand is busy enough with phrases, riffs, etc. as well, to complete the whole sonic picture. Here's the missus and me with my old i30 and an un-twesked style on an old Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell number.
http://www.box.com/shared/yxt9cpt3vg

124 Nice job .....great old tune!

#341955 - 03/13/12 05:51 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
124 Offline

Thanks for that, Donny. I love all that old Motown stuff, it'll live forever.

Hope your medical woes are on the mend.

#341959 - 03/13/12 07:18 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
Thanks for that, Donny. I love all that old Motown stuff, it'll live forever.

Hope your medical woes are on the mend.

2 month rest then part 2 procedure beginning of May.....
thank you 124

#341970 - 03/13/12 09:36 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi John & all,

'Fraid not. Not to worry, I'll make a plan soon. I should be able to receive up to 7MB on my exxaro account, so I do not understand why not. (hennie.vanrooyen@exxaro.com)

I have a question for you. I see a lot of mentioning about pads. Can my Pa50SD play pads in the same way the Yamaha's play multipads?

Also this songbook feature that Donny finds so nice, do I have it on the Pa50SD also?

Maybe I should start to look at the style editing features. Can intros and endings be copied from other styles?

Rikki, may I not maybe have some of your converted Yamaha styles other than those yamaha ones I've found on the web?

John, I found some Bankstyles on the net. How do I load it into my Pa50SD? I presume these replace my default styles.

Keep well my friends,
Henni

[img:center]http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13584.0;attach=7112[/img]

[img:center]http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13584.0;attach=7160[/img]

Edited by Henni (03/13/12 10:06 PM)

#341971 - 03/13/12 10:09 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Ha ha,

Tried to be wise & to insert two pics - well it did not work & I am no longer allowed to remove or edit it.

Sorry for the inconvenience all,

Henni

#342001 - 03/14/12 10:33 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: Henni]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

I have a question for you. I see a lot of mentioning about pads. Can my Pa50SD play pads in the same way the Yamaha's play multipads?

Nope, in actual fact you cannot even use it the way you can with PA500 and PA800, that is using sequences ( in actual fact extra acc. tracks). You can only choose certain short sounds, predominantly drum elements. ( see list on page 226 of your manual).

Also this songbook feature that Donny finds so nice, do I have it on the Pa50SD also?

Nope again. Actually that is where I " went wrong " with some folks who acquired my 500/800 software over the last two years. As I started out with the PA80 (=PA50) I have always approached the performance settings the way others use their songbook. Of course you are limited to 160 settings, but heck how many songs do you want to exercise within two hours at home or during a performance ? And loading another ALL.set takes less than a minute. So in practice there is nothing wrong with using your Performances as a way of Songbook. Shame you have not managed to get my file as yet..........

Maybe I should start to look at the style editing features. Can intros and endings be copied from other styles?

Yes and no. Style editing is very worthwhile but not something you should start with. I think the best way is to get familiar with organising first ( load, save, restore data, etc), then get familiar with using, changing,and tweaking the upper sounds before getting to the more serious style editing. Of course it pays to tweak styles to a certain extent which I have done a lot in most of my Resources . Drums are the first that come to mind, and here you can tweak a lot more than in any other brand of keyboard thus giving the same style already a different feel or sound.

John, I found some Bankstyles on the net. How do I load it into my Pa50SD? I presume these replace my default styles.

Not necessarily, but it is all in the factory manual. It is also in the manuals that I wrote to accompany my Resources. You can replace one single style or a bank of styles in the users, but also in the factory style locations by first switching off "factory style protect ".....

greetings,
John

Edited by john smies (03/14/12 10:35 AM)

#342063 - 03/14/12 09:29 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
Henni Offline

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your detailed answers. As soon as I can download your resources I'll provide you with feedback. Amongst the stuff I've found on the net, I've found quite a few of your conversions and even though I as yet still do not have the files to update all of my OS, I can allready hear a remarkable difference. Your modified styles sounds much more rich and full.

What freaks me out is the amount of turkish & other styles mixed with all the files I've downloaded. How I wish I had a program to quickly open a user style file to see what's inside and delete before even loading into my Pa50SD.

Another question please, is there perhaps a quick way to modify all those Pa500, 800 & Pa80 styles that won't open on my Pa50SD? There are so many such free utilities available for the Yamaha's. All I have is i30 Style Editor which I'm used to working with in the past, but it does not like my files.

All the best my friend,

Henni

#342090 - 03/15/12 04:50 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: Henni]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Henni,
I'd be happy for you to have them, regrettably discovered that EMC won't convert my PA800 conversions to PA80/50 format.
I was going to try & convert a couple waltzes thru EMC to work in KMA ( PA80/50 format also), but the data just dissapeared after I converted. Not sure if it's a bug, or it's just not possible to convert to the earlier format.

If I find some way round it I'd be happy to send them to you.

[quote=Henni]
Rikki, may I not maybe have some of your converted Yamaha styles other than those yamaha ones I've found on the web?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#342143 - 03/15/12 09:38 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: rikkisbears]
Henni Offline

Hi,

Thank you so much for your trouble. Yamaha is lucky to have highly skilled talented private individuals who created advance style modification utilities that does just that - convert later model styles to work with older version Yamaha arrangers.

I've run many, many styles through those. Pity same can't be found for the Korgs. Guess that's why I'll never turn away from Yamaha, regardless of what I can afford in future. Imagine having a Tyros 4, Korg Pa3X and an Audya 5. Those toys can keep anyone happy for a very long time!

Keep well,
Henni

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online