SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#342146 - 03/15/12 10:08 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: Henni]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Henni,
it's to do with Yamaha's style format, that makes them so versatile. Basically all one needs to do is change the .sty or .prs extensions to .mid & you got a midifile of the style. Can't do that with any other brand of keyboard style.
I don't know anything about computer programming, but maybe that's helped members like Jorgen & Michael being able to write the utility programs that they do.

I've owned Technics, Roland, Ketron , Yamaha & Korg keyboards over the years, Yamaha is the only one where i've been able to a brand new style into the previous model keyboard. ie psrs700 into psr1500. OK, maybe not perfect, but Jorgens/Michael's programs help to fix problems.
I can't load PA3X style into PA800, can't load PA800 style into PA80.
Strange, I though EMC would have made it possible to convert PA800 to PA80, I've never tried going backwards before just , from one brand to another.

Unfortunately EMC doesn't do a very good job of converting psr to korg, but Donny ( DNJ) mentioned on another post that EMC is converting his Roland & Ketron styles reasonably well to PA500 format. Given me a bizzare idea of maybe converting my PA800 conversions to Roland & then converting to PA50 format. Don't hold much hope that they'll sound any good, but I'm running out of ideas & I figure might be worth a try.
Originally Posted By: Henni
Hi,

Thank you so much for your trouble. Yamaha is lucky to have talented private individuals who created advance style modification utilities that does just that - concert later model styles to work with older version Yamaha arrangers.

I've run many, many styles through those. Pity same can't be found for the Korgs.

Keep well,
Henni

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#342162 - 03/16/12 01:51 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: rikkisbears]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Henni,

Upon your request I sent you my complete package for the Micro. As stated in my email I have also added a fair amount of my own style collection in addition to the Resources itself. In there you will find a large amount of Yamaha style conversions towards the PA50 and Micro. For starters loads going back to the renowned PSR9000 but also a couple of sets that find their origins in the early Tyros models. So I would suggest you give them a try first before searching for whatever conversion programme!!
Best of luck,

John

#343659 - 04/15/12 03:41 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Are there any good tutorials for the Korg PA50sd the manual is less then productive. I would like to know about setting up registrations and good sound combinations. I would also like to know a good source of styles and registrations.

#343664 - 04/15/12 04:26 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I posted this over in the Ketron Forum, it might interest you to know how I use my Audya 5

1) Deleted all user styles (which is just a clone of the factory styles that you have control over) and added only the styles I use (including many modified styles and ones created using style view.)

2) Create USER VOICE LISTS (these are blocks of sounds that can be called up quickly from the main screen). Some of my UVL's are song names others just styles of play. Many of my user voice list sounds are from the PROGRAM section which has my own modified sounds.

3) Link my USER VOICE LISTS to my various USER STYLES so they load when selecting the style

4) create registrations that link to a USER STYLE which in turn loads a USER VOICE LIST.

So basically when I select one of my styles it automatically brings up 10 voices on the screen that I will use with that particular style. Or I load a registration (sometimes I have two or three for a particular song because I am not a good enough player to change lots of things at the same time as playing the keys!).

I don't believe its possible to do this kind of deep level programming on any other board is it?

#343666 - 04/15/12 07:28 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Wersi OAS 7 instruments can do that with ease; therefore I would be surprised if other manufactures didn’t have a similar system.

Bill

#343667 - 04/15/12 08:08 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Add the Roland G70 to the top of that list...Just to mention a quick description.....
The user programs will remember all the panel settings, including tone edits, style edits,
harmony edits, as well as links to SMF's etc...The G70 can save the typical one touch settings.
.four selections, but they can save in each selection a group of 6 tones.
.these tones can be used by selected the tone button.....
each of the 4 one touch settings has a group of 6 tones, layered , split or what ever combination you want..

My favorite way to use tone selections....the G70 remembers the last tone selected in each family of tones..
.in reality ..this is 18 favorites (18 families including the SRX board and the Harmonic bars)..

#343699 - 04/16/12 02:49 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: Fran Carango]
Sean P Offline

The Genesys XP module has a similar feature as well. Each style is linked with 4 voices already set by GEM. These voices are called Style Presets. (You can easily replace these 4 voices with other voices of your choice).

In addition, there are empty slots for you to link even more voices to each style if you choose to do so on your own.

#343709 - 04/16/12 09:23 AM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"the G70 remembers the last tone selected in each family of tones..
.in reality ..this is 18 favorites (18 families including the SRX board and the Harmonic bars"

This is also an option on PA3X. Very useful.
DonM

#343723 - 04/16/12 07:23 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: 124]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Agreed, John. It's funny, but I don't 'get' the problem some seem to have with busy, or as I see it, interesting, full, styles. Mind you, I hardly ever play instrumentals, it's pretty well all vocals with me. But my right hand is busy enough with phrases, riffs, etc. as well, to complete the whole sonic picture. Here's the missus and me with my old i30 and an un-twesked style on an old Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell number.
http://www.box.com/shared/yxt9cpt3vg

That was very well done !!!

#343724 - 04/16/12 08:26 PM Re: Keyboards, Styles, Sounds and programming [Re: john smies]
124 Offline

Thank you, Machetero. Glad you enjoyed it.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online